Irish Mountain
Running Association

Peadar Dempsey R.I.P.

AuthorDateMessage
Gerry BradyDec 17 2012, 2:14pmA walking friend told me that Peadar Dempsey died last Friday. His removal is this evening Monday at 5 pm, see http://www.rip.ie/death_notices_detail.asp?NoticeID=181229

Peadar was a happy spirit and a person who lived long days. The friend recounted one occasion where he picked up Peadar at the Sally Gap at 9 am on a Saturday morning. Peadar had already completed the first leg of the winter Lug having started at 4 am. He was heading to UCD in the afternoon to compete in a running event and from there to the pro cathedral to take part in a choral recital and from there to the choirs annual Christmas dinner.

Dempsey, Peadar (Kilmacud, Dublin and formerly of RTE) – December 14, 2012, Peacefully, after a short illness, in the excellent care of the staff at the San Remo Nursing Home, Bray. Sadly missed by his children Sheena, Caireen, Gerry, Peter and Mary, extended family and friends.

Removal this Monday evening from Carnegie's Funeral Home, 19 The Crescent, Monkstown, to the Church of St. Thérèse, Mount Merrion, arriving at 5pm. Requiem Mass on Tuesday morning at 10am, followed by private cremation. (Family flowers only please).

His ashes will be scattered on Achill Island in line with his personal wishes

Requiescat in pace.
Paul NolanDec 17 2012, 2:40pmAs a teenager Peader was the man who brought me into the wild Wednesday nights of the IHRA days. Always ready with a lift, a story and another race that really had to be tried.
Be it the Autoroute du Soleil, the old N1 to the Mournes or just the hilly road on a Wednesday night Peader somehow turned every trip into an adventure.
Joe LalorDec 17 2012, 11:08pmDid a Comeragh Mountain Marathon with Peader back in the day. After the meal he produced wine (smuggled into camp) and jelly and ice cream for after, or what passes for jelly and ice cream for astronauts. Peader was also an early member of the mountain rescue team, may he rest in peace.
caitlín & JOe BentDec 18 2012, 11:57pmFirst time encountering Peader was at a major orienteering event in Glengarrif when his tent was pitched next to ours. He was a very spiritual person. Last time encountered Peader ( after many a hill run) He was guiding a party of German visitors in the reeks near Glencar in Kerry. He was a lover of the great outdoors & we will remember him.
Caireen DempseyMar 27 2013, 5:01pmThank you all for your lovely memories of my dad and for all of you who attended his funeral it was very much appreciated and he would have been suitably impressed.