Irish Mountain
Running Association

Leinster League Events

AuthorDateMessage
Rachel CinnsealachNov 27 2013, 7:00pmFolks,

We have put together the calander for the winter league. These runs include Howth, Threerock, Trooperstown, Annacurragh, Malin. We have also decided on the spring league, Little Sliabh Bui, Hell fire and Mullaghmeen

We have 7 or 8 suggestions for the Leinster champs. The Irish champ races will include the highest mountains in each province.

What races would you like to see for the Leinster league and the trail league?
Ken CowleyNov 27 2013, 7:50pmWell done to the committee on the early stages of a good looking schedule.
Re Leinster League, personally I'd drop Tibradden, Carrick and maybe Scarr. I'd bring back Mullacleavaun, bring back a Cooley's race (lets get out of Dublin/Wicklow) and Annagh Hill somehow (maybe too far from Dublin for Wed nights?). I'd leave in as many as possible of those amazing long weekend races like Glacial Lakes. I'd add in a West Dublin Peaks long weekend race (eg Seehan-Seefingan-Seefin-Seefingan-Kippure-Seefingan and back), or something including Brockagh to Tonelagee, and how about something including War Hill/Tonduff (suggested to me recently by James C)
I'm happy to try RD or deputy RD on a new route, and to recce/design it (I'd need help with the specifics..)
And that's just Leinster.
Looking forward to seeing what'll happen outside of Leinster, as we know it's always worth getting in the car once in a while and getting properly out of Dublin!
Alan AylingNov 28 2013, 12:43amGood suggestions Ken.

Anyone got any more? Remember that for league races the venue will have to be capable of accommodating the parking of a fair few cars.

I agree with Ken about the Cooleys - but would people be prepared to travel there for a Wednesday League race?
Mick HanneyDec 10 2013, 2:35pmA route inc. Tibradden but using trail options used during Run the Line instead?

An event using Cruagh / Glendoo which too could incorporate off-trail options used during Run the Line?
Rachel CinnsealachJan 12 2014, 2:09pmHi folk's,
We have plenty of suggestions for Leinster champs events, there will only be five (maybe six) events on the calendar and I will put as many new routes on the calendar as possible, but I'm sure people will want some of the "old reliable’s" on the calendar too, Lug springs to mind.
I for one am getting bored of some of the leister league routes; if anyone can suggest new routes for these it would be welcome.
Suggestions before this Tuesday evening please!

Paul O'GradyJan 12 2014, 2:11pmGlendalough and the Spink - once it isn't an administrative nightmare to get a permit!!
John BellJan 14 2014, 2:07pmYou can't beat the straight up straight down routes, Kippure, Scarr, Brockagh.
If visibility isn't severly limited by midgies Seefingan is a great route. Ballinastoe has a great mix and makes the runners pay attention to where they're going - Don't just follow the person in front!
As for new routes, how about Djouce Woods to Djouce Mt? I think there used to be a route there from the uper car park before it was closed.
Or Luggala - from Sally Gap Road down the Luggala Est access road to Lough Tay and up Lugalla Mtn. You can get some speed coming down off Lugalla... if you have the nerve. Parking and access would probaly be an issue.
Brían O'MearaJan 14 2014, 2:53pmWhat about Church mountain, just South of Hollywood? Starts with a couple of k of track to shake out the field, then a long stony climb through woodland, with open mountain for the last bit? Return either the way you came, or drop down the other side to the forest track with circles the hill, and drop down a boneshaker trail back to the start. About 8-10 km in total. Car Pool from Hollywood. Two nice pubs for prizegiving.
Brían O'MearaJan 14 2014, 2:54pm'which' rather than 'with'
Gerard KeatingJan 14 2014, 5:44pmI believe "that" would have been the correct word to use Breen.

Brockagh, Kippure, Scarr, Ballinastoe, Seefingan, should all remain, no harm losing Carrick and Tibradden IMO
Mick HanneyJan 21 2014, 1:19pmNice to see some interesting additions to the Leinster League list. Thanks committee.
Alan AylingJan 21 2014, 9:57pmBrían -
I've thought for a while there might be a worthwhile route on/around Church Mountain, but never got round to exploring it. Can you stick something of your idea on a map? Or we'll have a chat about it sometime. Mightn't make this year's LL, but there'a always next year, maybe a good nav challenge might work in the area too? Be cool to get some more use out of West Wicklow.

Alan
Brían O'MearaJan 22 2014, 11:35amAlan, drop me an email at brianomearaatgmail.com and I'll send you map, details etc
Paul SmythJan 22 2014, 11:47amThis is not a new idea (unless we're talking about a different Church Mountain? The 1992 IMRA fixtures list features:

CHURCH MOUNTAIN: Starting at the Pinnacle Bar in Donard Village. Scheduled for Wed. 8th. July.

If my memory is correct, it was included fairly regularly in the fixtures.

My recollection is that it was a pretty unremarkable route with about half being road/fireroad and the rest being a gradual uphill on rocky heathery open ground, but it was a while ago so I could be wrong!

Someone else mentioned Luggala. There was also a hill race there starting at the Luggala gates. That steep downhill at the start on the road was a killer but after you get onto the uphill it's quite a good race. Only run occasionally if I recall (think I only did it 2 or 3 times).