Irish Mountain
Running Association

Maamturk Challenge Sat 12th...

AuthorDateMessage
Conor MurphyApr 3 2014, 11:36amAnyone doing it?

Have heard it's tough going underfoot, much of the crossing is on hard quartzite and think hiking boots are mandatory kit, along with food, waterproofs etc. etc. And a compass and map, as navigation skills essential, heard it rains and visibility is awful pretty much every year.

Not sure I'll get permission yet coming so soon after the WW Ultra, but would like to try it out.
Feilim BorlandApr 10 2014, 2:40pm12th of April? Is it a running event? Would love to do it next year, not ready for two days' time!
Conor MurphyApr 11 2014, 8:08amIt's organised by UCG mountaineering club and boots are part of the obligatory kit, along with maps, compass, waterproofs etc. So really a trek over 25km, 2300+ metres and about 10 summits with navigating skills important in bad weather. And they have had some terrible weather over the years, a few accidents requiring the rescue helicopter and a fatality in 1999. Forecast tomorrow not so bad at least, so looking forward to it.
Conor MurphyApr 11 2014, 8:08amIt's organised by UCG mountaineering club and boots are part of the obligatory kit, along with maps, compass, waterproofs etc. So really a trek over 25km, 2300+ metres and about 10 summits with navigating skills important in bad weather. And they have had some terrible weather over the years, a few accidents requiring the rescue helicopter and a fatality in 1999. Forecast tomorrow not so bad at least, so looking forward to it.
Brían O'MearaApr 11 2014, 8:57amI ran it a few years ago. It's hard going, lots of Up and Down - the col of despondency is well named. there are big Nav requirements in the mist too(partic the descent to Lough Maamochoige - very easy to get bluffed in bad visibility). It's well manageable in runners though, and they're not too strict on the boots requirement, provided you can show you know what you're doing. UCGMC don't record times though, as they don't want to encourage people to race it. It's a great event however, and a pity it and the Glacier lakes clash, but everything can't fit in the calendar.

Brían
Aidan RoeApr 11 2014, 8:46pmThey organisers don't mind you running it. Done it a few times. Tough going in bad weather. Navigation is tricky. Great day out. Some really nasty climbs. Good luck
A.
Conor MurphyApr 14 2014, 12:32pm
Disaster.

Was descending above Loch Maamochoige. Had done tricky part, weather had cleared an hour or two earlier and sun was out, and all looked good. A 3 hour gale and monsoon put paid to thoughts of doing it at speed, so was concentrating on bagging all the summits instead of taking the shortest route. Was walking towards checkpoint when one leg went out and my right leg folded under me and took full weight with a "crack". Had to hobble off mountain for hours, then spent hours in Galway A and E.

They thought nothing was ruptured or broken so thought I was clear and was relieved. Just rang physio there now and she is a lot more circumspect and is talking about MRI scans. Don't have insurance so thought of surgery worrying. Along with all the training I had put in over winter in lead up to the IC, Carrauntoohil at the end of May in particular.
Sam ScrivenApr 14 2014, 1:43pmSorry to hear that Conor - fingers crossed you get the all clear.
Conor MurphyApr 17 2014, 10:02am
Thanks Sam.

Was at physio who reckons cartilage torn anyway...but to be honest when I hear someone complaining about cartilage I usually think "arra you're grand, run it off"! She is concerned about the ACL though, so will need an MRI to assess that. Not like the knee completely gone anyway, narrowing down the issues. Would be happy with just cartilage, would certainly have taken it after I heard the "crack" last Saturday!