Irish Mountain
Running Association

Backpack Advice

AuthorDateMessage
Donagh McGrathApr 9 2014, 4:46pmHi
I want to get a decent running backpack for long distances (mainly for water & a jacket)and am looking for advice...
Have never used bladder-packs and have a preference (prejuidice) against them and in favour of secure easily accessed bottle mounts (either forward-facing on side of backpack or on the front of the shoulder straps).
Happy to be corrected about bladders as well - maybe some models have both options?
Obviously comfort, functionality etc are also considerations
Any advice on type or brand gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Maike JürgensApr 9 2014, 6:03pmi quite like the Gregory running backpack. they have male and female versions. It has some sort of side pockets but i wouldnt be able to fit bottles in there really. I wasnt really convinced by the bladder thing either so started off by putting bottles into the backpack and then started using the bladder anyway. After a few runs i figured out a comfortable way of using it and now quite like it.
the backpack is great, fits about 12 l i think (model is called Navarino). obviously, it warms your back but other than that i dont really notice it when running. I used it for the WWU in March and various training runs but also running into work. If you have shoes at work it fits a change of clothes fine. Totally worth the money for me anyway.
apparently, those backpacks are designed by a long distance runner and have loads of straps and connections to make them adjust to your movement.
Niall CorriganApr 10 2014, 10:08amHi Donagh,

The vast majority of packs on the market these days will give you the bladder option, as all it take is a slot in the pack to hold the bladder and a hole in the top of the pack for the hose. It's possibly the least sloshy way to carry water but I know some people don't like using them. Most packs will give both options. If you buy a bladder I'd recommend the Platypus Big Zip type as the easiest to fill and clean, and you can re-fill them without taking them out of your pack (if you're careful). Be wary of packs that have the shoulder strap mounted bottle cages as mine does(Lowe Alpine Liteflite). When you put full bottles in the cages the weight causes the velcro to detach, next best thing to useless. The vest type of pack with the forward facing bottle holders seems to be a popular choice. These seem to give good carrying capacity and stability. Salomon are the most common but INOV8 have a new one on the market too. Worth checking out. The only complaint I hear is that some use soft bottles which are difficult to re-fill. I think one of this type will be my next purchase.
Best of luck,

Niall
Donagh McGrathApr 10 2014, 6:52pmThanks to both of you!