Irish Mountain
Running Association

RD needed for WICKLOW WAY RELAY

AuthorDateMessage
JuJu JayApr 15 2014, 12:03pmhi all...
is there anyone out there wanting to RD the WICKLOW WAY RELAY this year?
peace
Richard NunanApr 15 2014, 10:45pmLooks like this will be left up to the usual suspects again to fill this role.

We will make a decision if this event will go ahead by Monday.
JuJu jayApr 15 2014, 11:03pmJust a wee thought dude.. but say you give a free race to everyone that takes on a role such as RD or other BIG job maybe that way people would more likely to help out as there not getting paid etc and its tome of their hands etc... I think by giving something back to the people that help it would be better for IMRA to have the races still on etc...
peace
Rene BorgApr 16 2014, 5:18pmHaving mulled this over carefully and since we're not entering a team this year, Jason Kehoe and I are willing to take on the mantle on short notice. We just need to be filled in on how it's been run last year and what the implications for the registration process are with the new electronic system (if any). @ Richard: I'll send you an email.
Mick HanneyApr 16 2014, 6:16pmGreat gesture guys.
Its another one of IMRA's great races.
If there is a problem its that is a long long day for the organisers. One way of addressing this - which is not without its flaws - is doing some of the southern legs in a south to north direction to meet at a common location e.g. Glenmalure. If legs 8, 7 and 6 were done arriving into Glenmalure they could be done in parallel with the other legs. Logistically it helps the Race Directors but it falls down on the 'race' concept where everyone knows who they are chasing down and making places against, whereas this idea would need times of the up and down added to give the overall state of play.
Okay its probably not a runner but if there are things that play in the favour of helping the director's out we should have an open mind.
Richard NunanApr 16 2014, 7:23pmJust to say thanks to you guys for stepping forward to RD. There is a number of people available to help out also.

Enjoy the Kerry Training weekend,(routes look great) and we will catchup early next week.
JuJu JayApr 16 2014, 11:59pmhey Rene that great news... what better pair to pull this race off...
well done and good luck...
peace
Rene BorgApr 17 2014, 9:31amThanks Richard/Juju - we're looking forward to it now. We're only starting to collect details and there'll be a post shortly on when entries open - but in the meantime any volunteers can be of great help if you sign up on the event page and then email me at rene@championseverywhere.com and let me know if you have helped out on the event in the past and how or if you'd be new too it and whether you can help morning, afternoon, whole day and at the end of which legs.

We'll be indebted to any long-term regular volunteers who want to repeat their roles from last year so we have more experience to draw on - but fresh blood is very welcome too!
Stuart ScottApr 17 2014, 9:55amRene and Jason, that's great news! Thanks for stepping forward. If you're around any of the IMRA races in the next few weeks I'd be more than happy to run through the details with you from the last two years.

Best of luck in Kerry,

Stuart.
Rene BorgApr 17 2014, 11:16amhi Stuart, I cannot make the next few IMRA events unfortunately as I'm tied into work - but if you email me your phone number at rene@championseverywhere.com then I'll give you a call after the Kerry weekend if that suits?
Aoife JoyceApr 17 2014, 2:42pmMick your idea re the later legs reminds me of an idea for the WW relay that I've always wanted to see: running it South to North. And now I have some influence with the organiser...
Val JonesApr 17 2014, 5:20pmBIG disadvantage of running South to North - where's the pub at the finish?
Rene BorgApr 17 2014, 5:58pmMick, your idea reminds me of a concept Joe Lalor played with after IMRA won the Golden Spider Awards back in 2008 (I think?) - it would be a once off "Golden Spider" race most likely from Glendalough (although Glenmalure would have offered options too) with 8 legs (literally!) 'out-and-back' in different directions.

So each runner would start and finish in Glendalough and hand-over in exactly the same spot. This would be a very different event but it remains a fascinating concept with several advantages:

- One 'base camp' for volunteers, crew and spectators
- A chance to have both "very mountainy" routes and "very traily" routes allowing for the 'deployment' of runners with different skillsets and preferences
- Easy to have long legs and short legs as that will be called for

It would require eight turn-around marshals. Perhaps for the tenth anniversary of the award ;-)

For me any logistical changes that would allow for more teams could be something worth looking at for future years. We discussed many options in the past - tiered starts, separate club versus informal team competition, buses being deployed etc. but those more radical changes stayed at the table-chat level and they all have pros and cons.

This year, we hope to take care of the worst issues by having 'a morning crew' which Jason will look after and 'an afternoon crew' which I plan to look after. That we are geographically well placed (he in Dublin, I in Wicklow) also helps so perhaps that's a valid consideration for future years - have a set of Dublin-based and Wicklow-based volunteers coordinating each their half with a few travelling all the way.