Irish Mountain
Running Association

Kerry Easter Weekend

AuthorDateMessage
Fiona SheerinFeb 8 2017, 5:22pmThe Kerry weekend is back for another year. As Rene and Aoife are unable to organise it this year Fergal, Sorcha and I are taking on the task (big shoes to fill). Details as follows:

Dates: 14th to 16th April 2017 (Easter)
Book: Form to register is link below.

Please only fill out the form if you are interested in going as we base numbers and budget on this.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LX35GLF

Our resident Kerry expert, Fergal has coordinated the following routes:

Saturday: Priest's Leap to Gougane Barra (approx. 15km)

Starting at Priest’s Leap (463m). The route follows the county boundary north-eastwards with a 2km 250m ascent of Knockboy, Cork's highest peak (706m). Then follows a 10km undulating route of descents and accents as we continue following the county boundary until we reach Bealick (535m).

At this point we descend steeply for 1km into Gougane Barra Forest Park before finishing with 2km on road to Gougane Barra Hotel. Collection by bus from Gougane Barra Hotel with a 30 minute pit-stop at the Top of Coom on the way home to visit Ireland’s highest pub.

Sunday: Mullaghanattin (approx. 8km)

This is on classic mountain terrain and begins with a steep 1/2km 260m ascent from the Ballaghbeama Gap. Over the next 2km a further 350m is ascended in stages to reach the 773m summit of Mullaghanattin.

From the summit, we continue along the Mullaghanattin horseshoe ridge in an anticlockwise direction for a further 3 1/2km, with a number of ascents of the subsidiary peaks (and the accompanying descents!). Over the next 1km, we descend steeply 350m to a farm where we pick up a track for the last 1km to the finish.

Routes are weather dependable and subject to change. We have alternative routes in place should the weather be unfavourable.

Spaces are limited to 24 on a first come first served basis, so if you are definitely interested please sign up ASAP. Place will only be guaranteed when payment is made. Costs will be in line with previous years.

If you have any queries please email Sorcha at sorchagriffith@gmail.com. Please note this is not an official IMRA event and no responsibility is accepted on part of the organisers.
Rachel CinnsealachFeb 8 2017, 9:12pmI'm so delighted this is back again. It's always such a great few days away. I'm deffo on for it. Thanks Fiona, Sorcha and Fergal for taking on the organising.
Conor MurphyFeb 10 2017, 7:39amAscending Mullaghanattin directly from Ballagh Beama is far more suited to boots, not runners. And a lot of scrambling, not the hands on knees steep uphill stuff, but the vertical using hands to pull yourself up onto the next ledge stuff, it gets a bit more runnable half way up when you hit the ridge leading out to Fauscoum. Head for heights needed. There are also access issues in the "Pocket" being the valley circled in the descent, have climbed it many times, know the farmers in that valley...and I still wouldn't go through their property. Be very sure of landing into the right farm.

It's a great climb, it's my favourite summit. But as with outings like Purple Mountain, around Stoompa, up Hungry Hill...there might not be a lot of actual running!
Rene BorgFeb 10 2017, 5:21pmBest of luck with it guys - it couldn't be in better hands!
S.M. GriffithFeb 17 2017, 1:49pm@Rene- thanks, we are looking forward to it :)

One spot left in the accommodation for any interested punters. If we have weather like today, we will be on a winner. Spring is springing :)
S.M. GriffithMar 10 2017, 10:04pmWe were all full up but we have had two cancellations this week, so if anyone is interested, please get in touch. Cheers, Fiona, Fergal and Sorcha
Brian O MurchuMar 10 2017, 10:37pmPreview here: https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/112776/
S.M. GriffithMar 10 2017, 10:45pmHa! Funny seeing that again... even the Polo is injured this year. I think it'll make it down anyhow. But if Jason glides past me eating a sambo again, there may be trouble ;)
Rene BorgApr 13 2017, 10:10amJust wanted to wish everyone a great trip and thanks to the organisers for 'keeping the torch lit'. Easter won't quite be the same without Kerry - very envious of you all!