Irish Mountain
Running Association

GPS watches

AuthorDateMessage
Maike JürgensFeb 27 2017, 9:32amHi all,

i am in the lucky (or unlucky) position in looking to get a new GPS watch. So i was wondering what people's experiences are regarding reliability, customer service ... all the stuff that doesn't get covered in standard reviews online :).
i am looking for a really basic one that monitors speed and distance travelled.
thanks
Maike
John J BarryFeb 27 2017, 9:58amMaiki,

This might help.. Very in dept reviews of loads of GPS watches

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

I have the Garmin Fenix 2 which is coming down in price all the time with the introduction of the "Fenix 3" and now the new "Fenix 5" (which is only £690!!!). The "Fenix 2" is a great watch which I use as a everyday watch.

But then, not to sure if it suits a small ladies wrist...
Gordon PlaceFeb 27 2017, 11:17amI've the Suunto Ambit Sport S. No problems, good website for viewing activities, plenty of info. Handy phone app for easy syncing. Syncs automatically with Strava if you use it. Easy to make routes and follow them for recces etc. They have a new model out now so some good deals on the Ambit Sport S
Gordon PlaceFeb 27 2017, 11:19amMulti sport too including swimming if you are in to triathlons etc
Gordon PlaceFeb 27 2017, 11:26amYou can also add apps incl race time predictors (not much use on the mountains but good for road) and use training apps like intervals, pyramids etc. And customise multiple screen views to show whatever info you want
Gerard KeatingFeb 27 2017, 12:48pmI currently use the TomTom Runner3 with Cardio. My last watch was the TomTom Runner. Both are very reliable, very long battery life, easy to use, and wearable for day to day (not too big). Yes, they do lack a few features of the more expensive Garmin and Sunnto watches but have more than enough if you are looking for a basic watch. They are very cheap for what you get. Good luck!
Brian FennessyFeb 27 2017, 2:49pmHi Maike, I use a Suunto ambit 2R watch and I use it running, walking, on the bike its really easy to use and doesn't seem to give any trouble bar the strap breaks but I've used it non stop for the last 3 years (I had a garmin forerunner before which the strap broke on as well). Its not too big either compared to some of the other GPS watches out there. All in all its a great watch.
Brian FennessyFeb 27 2017, 3:01pmHi maike I should also add that you can buy suunto watches directly from their webshop online......at the minute they have the suunto core reduced to £150 and also an Ambit 3 R down to £150 both were originally £250. Whatever you buy best of luck