Irish Mountain
Running Association

Maulin

AuthorDateMessage
Laura FlynnMar 3 2017, 8:58pmAs we approach the last two races in the 2017 Winter League I'd like to say a huge thank-you to the race directors so far......Vivian O Gorman, Peter O Farrell, Rene Borg, Angela Flynn and Mick Hanney. We still need one more race director for Maulin. If you're interested but concerned that it's too much to take on I'm happy to guide you through it and be there on the day also to assist.
If you want to talk through what's involved with me , without making a commitment, feel free to mail me directly at my IMRA email.
Aidan BligheMar 3 2017, 9:29pmApologies Laura. I had to unvolunteer from first aid role
Laura FlynnMar 3 2017, 9:30pmNo problem Aidan ..thanks file letting us know
Laura FlynnMar 6 2017, 8:51pmThanks Lillian for volunteering to RD this race. I see the details say that registration will close at 10.15 . However this race is listed to start at 11 so this should probably read 10.45?
Mail me at my IMRA email address if you have any questions.
Lillian DeeganMar 8 2017, 12:03pm.
Thanks Laura. I will amend the time as soon as the page allows for same.
Lillian DeeganMar 13 2017, 7:49pmPage detail amended. Many thanks to those who have volunteered so far. I will email specific detail later this week. For now, can I ask that we meet at Crone for 9:20 on Saturday morning to set up.
Also I am seeking a few more volunteers if at all possible.
Elio MacukaMar 14 2017, 11:41amSearching for a spare place in the car.Living on Newlands Cross...but anywhere in city center is good for me. tnx
Greg DixonMar 14 2017, 11:48pmHi I was looking to buy entry for Maulin race on Saturday but it won't let me.
Lillian DeeganMar 15 2017, 7:23am.
Hi Greg,
On-line entry remains open till Friday 18:00h.
Might someone on the web end be able to assist Greg?
Ian ConroyMar 15 2017, 12:00pmHi folks, I'm looking for a lift to this one. I'm out Sutton/Howth way, but can get to town or Dun Laoghaire to make it easier. Thanks
Aidan O'DonoghueMar 15 2017, 12:53pmHi I am also looking for a lift if possible. Living in Rathmines in Dublin, can meet anywhere in the city.
Lillian DeeganMar 15 2017, 9:50pm.
Hi all,
Putting a call out for a few more non running volunteers.
Leo MahonMar 16 2017, 12:53amHi Lillian
I'm ok to volunteer sat would appreciate a job at registration / finish have dodgy knee cheers Leo Mahon
Brian FarrenMar 16 2017, 8:29amHi Lillian, I have already volunteered but just to let you know, I have an injured ankle, so also would prefer to stay at registration if possible.
Paul WhyteMar 16 2017, 11:31amHi Lillian,
I have just volunteered as a non running helper. I am injured but if you need me to be somewhere other than registration then I should be able to handle it. Email paul dot whyte at gmail dot com to let me know what you need me to do.
Thanks
Paul
Lillian DeeganMar 16 2017, 1:55pm.
Cheers Leo and Paul. I will email all volunteers later today with specifics.
Lillian DeeganMar 16 2017, 2:00pmGreg Dixon - how you getting on? I see new entries daily. Have you tried to enter since the other night?
Jim FitzharrisMar 16 2017, 2:05pmLillian,

I normally arrive early for races and I can help out as a running volunteer if that is of any help.

Cheers,

Jim.
Lillian DeeganMar 16 2017, 9:47pmHi Jim,
That would be wonderful, thank you. Find me on race morning and we'll go from there.
Greg DixonMar 17 2017, 10:51amHi it still won't let me enter, it will let me buy 10 race entry one only.???
Greg DixonMar 17 2017, 10:51amHi it still won't let me enter, it will let me buy 10 race entry one only.???
Robert CunninghamMar 17 2017, 11:20amYa also trying to enter.
Lillian DeeganMar 17 2017, 11:41amHave you guys ran other IMRA gigs this year?
Robert CunninghamMar 17 2017, 11:47amI have ya
Robert CunninghamMar 17 2017, 11:52amMaulin not on list of races on purchase page
Lillian DeeganMar 17 2017, 12:11pmOk. Once your membership is paid, I am happy to allow you use my voucher card for Maulin. Find me above on race morning.
Ian ConroyMar 17 2017, 12:19pmBlink and you miss them! Any other lifts heading to this one. Thanks
Robert CunninghamMar 17 2017, 12:26pmThanks Lillian there's two of us my son Ewan aswell if thats ok.
Ya I'm registered in munster.
Elio MacukaMar 17 2017, 12:30pmIan can you send me a message on 0851464538
Ian ConroyMar 17 2017, 12:42pmWill do, thanks Elio.
Greg DixonMar 17 2017, 1:22pmHi if I buy vouchers for €50 can I use one of them for tomorrow's race? Thanks
Gordon PlaceMar 17 2017, 2:57pmGreg, provided you are registered for the year, you should be able to collect the vouchers and use one tomorrow
Greg DixonMar 17 2017, 4:09pmOk thanjs
Christopher HeatherMar 17 2017, 4:25pmTrying to sign up here for the race tomorrow but the option isn't there. ( same issue as posters below ) . just wondering what i should do ?
Thanks
Liam CannonMar 17 2017, 7:00pmStuck for carpool options tomorrow, but intending to run. For a hippie, I don't stink too bad, so let me know!
Lillian DeeganMar 17 2017, 7:08pm.
Robert Cunningham - that's fine. See me above in the morning.
Greg Dixon - As per Gordon's reply. Thanks Gordon.
Christopher Heather - If you are a 2017 reg'd member, you can use one of my vouchers to Maulin. See me above in the morning.

Hi All,
John Bell and I are just back from marking the course. All turns have been marked with tape. I hope to have 3 marshals on the route to give further guidance during the race.

To follow is a guideline of Laura Flynn's to get sign-in sorted as swiftly as possible. I would appreciate if all would review and follow given direction by the volunteers on race day.

1. When runners come into the register area they will be directed to either the pre-registration table, if they have registered on line or the pay-with -voucher table if they have not.

2. At those tables, they will sign in for the race. This is an important cross-checking tool for us as it tells us who actually started the race as opposed to registering but not taking part.

3. At the voucher table you will have the voucher punched once per entry, so if you're paying for another runner you will have it punched twice. You can also collect new vouchers here which you have bought online but please bring your confirmation email.

4. You will then go to the numbers' table and collect your 2017 number which you will keep for the year. Please bring and check your acknowledgement email to ensure you collect the correct number. It's very easy to get , say, 147 mixed up with 174 and this can cause huge headaches for us in sorting out the results.

5. Please fill out your contact details on the reverse of your number.

6. We will do our best to ensure the race starts promptly at 11. Registration will open at 9.30. Volunteers should report for 9:20, please make yourself known to me when you arrive at Crone Woods.

See you all in the morning.
Lillian
Brian KitsonMar 18 2017, 2:01pmHi there,

Really enjoyed getting out for the race this morning.

I had a look at the strava flybys and wanted to flag that it looks like I may have missed a right turn to take me back to the finish. I went straight on and rejoined the route we took out at the start of the race.

Brian
James CurranMar 18 2017, 2:37pmLillian and volunteers. Thanks a million for todays race and prize giving. It was Epic.
Gordon PlaceMar 18 2017, 2:43pmThanks to Lillian and the volunteers, great day out and lovely sambos at the end. Here's a strava of my course cutting

https://www.strava.com/activities/904871076/overview
Lillian DeeganMar 18 2017, 2:52pmBrian, much and all as I wish I didn't find the need to report the following - needs must. You are in great company with regard to missing a turn. Glad to hear it was just one!
Top end, middle and back of the field had similar bothers unfortunately. On the upside, many racers reported they followed the person in front, with some correcting their route error and doubling back to the correct route once they realised their mistake.

Recorded times won't go against 2016's Maulin race finishes - all top 3 male field leaders today, went astray. Top 3 women covered the route as marked.

With regard to the course marking - it could be said the wind and rain played havoc overnight with some of our taped markings. In an ideal world, if I had a few more volunteers to spare, I would have placed ppl at junctions further down from the summit. I didn't have any additional volunteers to pop about the back end of the course.

I would like to sincerely thank the volunteers that aided me this morning. Everything went smooth as at reg. We had a few bitty things to sort, having Miriam Maher as a well experienced laptop operator, all got sorted swiftly enough. We had but 3 scratches First Aid wise, thanks Becky. And our 3 course marshals demarked on their return with John Bell being the last off the summit. John, I pulled a spot prize in your name at prize giving.

Thanks very much to everyone for their help. This was a handy enough one to RD nav errors aside.

Lillian
Lillian DeeganMar 18 2017, 3:05pmAt prize giving, we had a minutes silence in honour of Capt. Dara Fitzpatrick of R116, who was laid to rest this morning. IMRA will give a donation from today's run out to our emergency rescue services.
James H CahillMar 18 2017, 3:40pmThank you Lillian and all your helpers for an excellent race and outing in the hills today. The route was perfectly well marked. The proof of this is that runners did follow the correct route. If everyone went wrong then that indicates a problem. The challenge was that in the slippy conditions it was easy to focus on your feet / the person in front rather than the tape. That is not a marking problem! Thank you also for repairing my cuts and scrapes at the finish.....Well done winners....And most of all well done Vivian o'Gorman!!!
Gordon PlaceMar 18 2017, 4:02pmDefinitely a case of blindly stumbling after the man in front in my case and not looking where I was going
James CurranMar 18 2017, 4:07pmHeard James Cahill call out to people who were going wrong at a point where the route was well marked.
Lillian DeeganMar 18 2017, 4:24pm#deadly
I'll bet that's was as Mr Cahill collected himself from a near miss with Paul Morrissey's right leg cramp. Mr C drew blood - his own hand, I aught to add.
Laura FlynnMar 18 2017, 4:43pmWell done today Lillian and particularly on the thoughtful minutes silence at the prize-giving as a mark of respect to Captain Dara Fitzgerald. Puts our small problems of taking wrong turns etc into perspective . May she rest in peace.
Trevor DavisMar 18 2017, 5:28pmHold on....where were theses sambo's you speak of???
Only my 2nd ever race and tbh I thought it was hellish but still enjoyed it and enjoyed the warm bath after it even more.
To think that I used to pound the roads instead of this..there is no comparison..I am defo converted.
Dermot MurphyMar 18 2017, 5:45pmRace report added...
alan hallMar 18 2017, 6:04pmDermot, great race report, alternative routes is a good way of describing it. I think I was one of a handful of people that ended the race with the distance in the description of the race. And I think I was the one you called back at the top of the gully, thanks for that.
John BellMar 18 2017, 10:29pmSorry to hear a number of people went wrong today. I know the frustration of it. When demarking one or two markers were less obvious than when place and conditions may have meant runners were fully focused on the ground in front, maybe not scanning for tape. Also previous years we had marshals where peoploe seemed  to go wrong which meant marking was less important and maybe some were complacent (including me marking it). Well done to all who completed the course without taking'alternative route'.
Barry MurrayMar 19 2017, 10:27amjust posted my account - Messy Maulin
Jeff SwordsMar 19 2017, 11:05amThe reports make good reading. The Strava activities for the morning make it appear there were a number of different races in the area.
Mick HanneyMar 19 2017, 11:58amThe strava flyby makes for fun viewing.
Karen DevenneyMar 19 2017, 8:05pmResults are now up. If there are any issues, please contact me at Karen.devenney at imra dot ie
Lillian DeeganMar 19 2017, 9:36pmCheers Karen.
Might the runner who mentioned a mix up with his Bib No. from an earlier run out this year, pls make direct contact with Karen to sort matters. This msg. relates to the male runner who gave me the following info. "Runner 237 - Payment id 9494 #1149". Karen needs more background info.
Denis VickersMar 20 2017, 10:07amThanks to all who volunteered on Saturday for a great event. I now have muscles I thought never existed and still a little sore but well worth it !

Just a question. Can you buy new/replacement bibs ? Mine get pretty messy after each race and wouldn't mind buying a few for the season.
Jeff SwordsMar 20 2017, 11:16amWith the Sugar Bowl coming up in a few weeks, what approach is going to be taken?

Will those of us in credit from running the full Maulin route be allowed to skip summiting, or will those that wussed out because that killer hill just after Maulin was too tough and mucky for them be made to summit it twice?
Jim FitzharrisMar 20 2017, 5:35pmI too was one of the runners who missed the final loop.

This was entirely my own fault: looking down, following others, etc. I was especially guilty because I have run this route before.

I have Garmin profiles for my run this year and in 2016 when I took the correct route. As a result, I was able to use these to calculate the "advantage" this year.

I have asked Karen Devenney to adjust my time upwards in fairness to my fellow M60 runners.

Just out of interest, this increased my finish time by 11% !

Cheers,

Jim.
Trevor DavisMar 20 2017, 8:19pmCan somebody describe where this alternative route was used.
I'm pretty sure I did the full course but would like to know.
I remember 2 steep climbs after the first accent.Where was this alt route pls.
James H CahillMar 20 2017, 9:02pmGarmin Fly by can be seen here http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#904906298?c=gc7w6kmu&z=F&t=1OpHwQ&a=OsbvNUJUGTbcU-w19QbuNbBP8TVs5Os1_2buNfut7jWL7_A1Q0_yNZ6n7jXMVfE1osjsNclM7DV1dQY2JRDsNTyx8DWkPO81jgkUNt9Q7TX6pu41DYkINkq36zU90AA2

At approx. 11.28 you will see the majority of the leading runners missing a right turn up a steep climb. That short cut saved at least 5 minutes. (1 min point to point running vs. 6 minutes doing the steep loop), which equates to approximately the same 11% saving Jim mentions in his post.

There were various other misnavigations on the strava flyby, but the one above is the one which resulted in the most time saving for errant short sighted runners.
Trevor DavisMar 21 2017, 12:10amThanks James...I too was guilty of fillowing the lady who was in front of me but thankfully she knew where she was going.
Barry MurrayMar 21 2017, 12:11pmI think we can all throw the toys back in the pram. Practically everybody has put their hand up. More importantly, nobody went wrong on purpose. Lets move on. Or if anyone wants to race it again and compare times, lets organise a round 2.
Jim FitzharrisMar 21 2017, 12:26pmReplying to Trevor Davis.

This is a link to Maulin 2016 (the correct route):-
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1090820344

This is a link to Maulin 2017 (the incorrect route):-
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1626871672

If these do not work, please send me your email address and I will send you the Garmin .tcx and .gpx files.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim FitzharrisMar 21 2017, 12:27pmSorry Trevor, my email address is:-

jim dot fitzharris at smurfitkappa dot com
Jim FitzharrisMar 21 2017, 12:33pmFair point Barry.

I was one of the errant runners hit by a few flying errant rattles/toys so I just wanted to protect myself!

Cheers,

Jim.

PS I will have a nice cup of flat Coke available for you at Curtlestown on Saturday!
Jeff SwordsMar 21 2017, 12:46pmI guess that post might be aimed at me, there's no toys thrown from the pram Barry.

I can only speak for myself but my post was in jest following on from the good natured ribbing and slagging at the finish and subsequent to that.
Mike JordanMar 21 2017, 6:30pmI know Barry suggested leaving things lie - so to be clear I'm not discussing the Maulin race here, it’s in the past - but is there a need for a wider discussion on this topic?

I bring it up because it is something that seems to happens a few times a year at our races.

There are roughly 3 types of IMRA course - marked, unmarked, and nav challenge. In nav challenges or unmarked races if you don't visit a point you're meant to visit then you haven't finished the course.

In a marked course race, if you do not complete the marked course, have you really completed the race? People go wrong, I believe nobody is intentionally not following the course, but does the excuse 'I was racing hard so it’s not my fault' carry water? The route is published in advance so you can at least have an idea what should happen on the route. There is a marking policy in place so people know there should be marking before and after each junction. Are a few people up the front shaking hands and agreeing a finishing order fair to everyone in the field? (Ok that last question is a bit pointed but it’s the best way I have of phrasing it.)
Personally I think the solution is that if you don't follow the marked course then you hold your hands up and get a Short Course result or DNF, regardless of where you finish in the field. If you miss a turn you always have the opportunity of re-tracing to the point you went off-course and finishing the race. If you don’t realise it until the finish then that’s bad luck. It’s not palatable to people but I think it’s the right and fair thing to do. Yes your finish place and time will suffer but how is registering an artificially enhanced finish time fair to the other runners in the race? What do other people think and is there a consistent policy applied across all races when people take unintentional route-deviations?
James H CahillMar 21 2017, 7:08pmI completely agree with Mike. It used to be that if you incorrect routed and didn't correct yourself, you ran through the finish with your number covered and informed the laptop operator of your DNF status.

Somehow this has morphed to runners deciding among themselves who comes where if they wrong route. But when this happens there are implications for the rest of the field e.g.

*it can have implications in league results where the race is part of a league
*it skews the winning time percentages. Perhaps I am alone in this, but I follow my own performance relative to the rest of the field, as I very very rarely appear on the podium
*in the case of an incorrect route impacting the results should the leading runners who completed the marked course not receive their prizes and accolades.
*runners throughout the field now do not DNF themselves. Perhaps the feeling is "why should I lose my race result / time when others who I know also wrong routed keep theirs"

Varying the rules race to race is guaranteed to lead to unhappiness and dissatisfaction.

Whereas if simply applied as follows:

Wrong course = DNF

Then there is no confusion, its straightforward and there is no debate. Did you follow the marked course? Yes = Result. No = DNF.

And the rule in racing if you wrong course, you turn back to the point at which you wrong coursed, and rectify your route then you are back on track. You lose time, but shit happens!

Rule flexibility is the thin end of the wedge and can, over time, lead to more and more rule flexibility and erosion of our self-policing standards. Ultimately who wants to run in a race where the rule goal posts are moved week to week.

My two pennies worth. (I am donning my hard hat before I press reply!)
Brendan LawlorMar 21 2017, 7:12pmCompletely agree with you Mike. If you go wrong (for whatever reason) and you run a shorter version of the course you should really declare for the short course or DNF - different story if you go wrong and add a km or two for your troubles!
Pól Ó MurchúMar 21 2017, 8:14pmFirst things first...this is my personal opinion and not reflective of committee views but be assured we will discuss this and come up with a definitive ruling...although I'd be surprised if there isn't something on this already regarding marked routes. So that out of the way...

Absolutely..TBH I haven't been following this post too closely but I think it's an obvious one...a marked course is a marked course and should be followed as intended. The sheer fact that many people took the correct route would indicate it was marked sufficiently for people to follow the intended route. I didn't run the race myself so can't comment on how well or not it was marked so this is just a general observation.

As mike says a map of the route is generally posted in advance now granted if the route marked differs from the route advertised with no mention at the start then runners following the advertised route might have some grounds for appeal but that doesn't appear to be the case here either.

I know when I held the position of Results and Records I regularly got mails from participants advising they had taken the wrong route/ shorter route and looking for a change to be registered or changed to short course. I'm not sure when this changed or why people would willingly accept winning a race where they clearly didn't follow the correct course.

That aside there is no easy way to eliminate these results from league results without making big changes to the IT rules deciding winners and placing for a league so not sure I understand the comments above referring to this.

Anyway my thoughts...will discuss at committee level and come up with a ruling if need be but I think that ruling already exists in the description "Marked route".
Robert CostelloMar 21 2017, 9:12pmPerhaps when enforcing the appropriate rules for not completing a marked course are discussed, a discussion can also be had on correctly marking courses in the first place. Just a thought.
Jeff SwordsMar 21 2017, 9:35pmThere's a good document outlining the IMRA marking guidelines here https://www.imra.ie/volunteering/role/id/4/

I think there was a discussion around it at the time.
Mick HanneyMar 21 2017, 9:38pmBut if most people ran the correct course the marking was obviously fine. Bad weather, close quarter runner and other factors can hinder best laid plans.
Gordon PlaceMar 21 2017, 9:43pmI cut the course purely as a result of not looking and just following the man in front. First time it's happened and I just assumed a DNF was in order, and reported it at the finish. I think that is the fairest but I'm never going to be concerned about the podium. The fact that so many completed the correct course seems to me that it was adequately marked for those who paid attention instead of following someone else. Some courses require paying a bit more attention than others, so lesson learned for me. I clearly remember the marking at another point where others went wrong.
Warren SwordsMar 21 2017, 9:49pmJaysus lads. You're really taking the buzz away from my first win.

Just to clear a few things up.

The first three runners ALL declared they had missed the second last climb. The RD was informed by me personally as soon as Dermot crossed the line.

There was discussion afterwards about the marking, people going wrong on the course etc. It was good natured, a bit of laugh, in mark contrast to some of the comments here about people "willingly accept" winning a race.

Dermot suggested that the results should remain as they were.

I have no idea what the rules are and was a tad embarrassed to see the results.

Really disappointed by that comment Pol. Completely at odds at what happened.

Which to sum up is:

1) Ran race.
2) missed second last climb
3) Immediately tell RD that first 3 across the line missed the section.
4) declared winner and results published.
5) cringe at seeing results online.

Element of throwing the runners under the bus on this one.
Mike JordanMar 21 2017, 9:55pmI didn't see myself as the guy advocating for more regulations in mountain running, but maybe a well discussed and well-worded rule in the Competition Rules might just clarify this whole thing.
The rules can be found here: https://www.imra.ie/constitution/
@Rob The marking guidelines are also in the Competition Rules. All race markers should be aware of them and follow them. In fact, all IMRA runners should be aware of them - that might be the most important thing in this discussion! Areas like Maulin, Ballinastoe, and Ticknock will always be difficult to mark because there are so many tracks. But as a runner racing in those areas I also need to be more vigilant than usual for markings.
Mike JordanMar 21 2017, 10:01pm@Warren Sorry. I should have started a new thread on this. I said in my original comment that this wasn't about Maulin and I really meant that. I just have seen a few races over the last few years where people have gone wrong and felt maybe a general discussion about what exactly should happen might clarify things. It usually falls on the Race Director to decide but each RD might see things very differently.
Dermot MurphyMar 21 2017, 10:07pmI suggested that the results stay as is as it would have been impossible to sort out otherwise as there were multiple errors throughout the field - some cutting distance, some adding distance. Its all well and good asking people to inform the RD if they cut part of the course, but I can guarantee that there were people who did so on Saturday and never realised it.
This happened on this race before - the 2013 Maulin winter league route. Dig out the forum notes for that year for that race and see the discussion on it. Des, who won, ran the correct route, but most of those in the top 20 did not. The results were not changed that day in very similar circumstances. The conclusion then was this route needs plenty of marshals at key points - thats the nature of the course. Only volunteer can make that happen.
Robert CostelloMar 21 2017, 10:43pmIt's okay folks, mistakes are allowed every now and again. But the key is to acknowledge them, look at addressing them in the future and moving on. Blaming runners for missing markings is an easy out.
Pól Ó MurchúMar 21 2017, 11:49pmSorry if you think that comment was aimed directly at you Warren...it wasn't meant as that. My comments stand regardless of the race, type of event, distance etc. TBH I don't even really know who did or didn't complete the correct course except for what I have read here.

In any other race where there is a course marked out if you miss a turn and go off course causing you to take a shorter route or indeed in many cases a longer route be it intentional or not you would be dnf'd for not completing the actual course. IMRA is largely self policed in this respect and I think runners have a responsibility to put their hands up and say they made a mistake and didn't complete the required course. I don't think it is up to the lead runners to decide who may or may not have won if they had or had not finished the correct course. Nor is it sufficient to say the results should remain the same because some people either near the top or the bottom of the field might not know they shorted the course - when clearly many people do know. I also don't feel race directors should be put on the spot and made to make a decision on something that really should be so obvious.You either completed the full course or you didn't.

My comment simply refers to on a number of occasions when I was looking after the results side of things where I have encountered runners contacting me to tell me they took a short course/early start/missed a turn etc. and requesting that they be dnf'd of short coursed.I have also seen races where the top finishers were not as announced where people stand up and say there was a mistake. It was not specifically aimed at you Warren although admittedly does read as such. You are right I don't know what discussions took place at the finish line and apologies if I have offended. Most certainly not my intention here...
Lillian DeeganMar 22 2017, 1:31am.
Warren - My recollection is very clear. I had the first 3 men home to the tune of "oh the others went wrong".... naming other runners.
Once home, Dermot Murphy made all of you review and double check our route map. It was then realised where the 3 of you went astray. Following my speaking with Dermot and another long standing IMRA member, it was agreed to go with the results as they came in on the day. The option to DNF was suggested and decided against owing to league % claculations and us being able to define who did the full course opposed to those who shorted the route. As the prize vouchers were passed to people at Crone and at prize giving, it was noted that the option to return the same was there owing to the shortened route if taken.

One way or the other, the top 3 finishing men at Maulin were aware within minutes of running the race that they had missed a section and therefore they had not completed the course.

Robert Costello - "Blaming runners for missing markings is an easy out" - Are runners are being "blamed" as you put it? Who?
Surely you appreciate the responsibility of any individual runner taking to a trail route anywhere. Things often go wrong if we just bank on the lad in front knowing the route supposedly, regardless of where you are on the field. The course was well marked. I'm not budging on that aspect. I'm not one for hand holding on any route.
Dermot's earlier post relating to the 2013 Maulin forum makes for interesting reading on lots of race aspects. For the record, I had x7 running volunteers and x3 helpers with injuries, one of which did take a marshal spot on the route. This left me with 2 remaining volunteers as marshals for the route. I felt lucky to have any route marshals as it happens.

If people think more hand holding on this specific route is required to remind them where to go/ run, then plenty more volunteers need to come forward in future. Not reinventing the wheel, just a very simple solution!
Torben DahlMar 22 2017, 6:41amI think it is time for a fairytale:

Once upon a time in Ireland there was a mountain running association (imra). Imra was known to be a fun, social and informal place to go if you loved running in the mountains in the company of great people, having a bit of competition and a banter went runners went astray.

One day the big wolf was spotted in the mountains near Maulin. Some runners got so terrified that they missed a turn but luckily they made it to the finish line. Meanwhile the wolf was busy eating and eating! It wasn't busy eating lost runners but busy eating all the common sense and fun that once used to be the values of imra.

Thankfully all the runners at Maulin got safe home. Meanwhile the wolf was still hungry, actually so hungry that some of the imra members felt sorry for it. They now started feeding it with even more of its favourite dish, the common sense and fun...

Eventually the members ran out of common sense and fun and all they were left with were rules. The wolf didn't like rules, so instead it now started eating the members... Step carefully, the wolf is still out there!
Andrew HanneyMar 22 2017, 8:17amTorben for race report of the year!

The comment before that "Blaming runners for missing markings is an easy out." is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. I marshalled that race last year at the second last climb, and despite me being there and shouting at people there were still lots who tried to go their own way.
Jeff SwordsMar 22 2017, 10:33amAnd the year before that I think it was Andrew I marked with someone else, and was marshalling just after Maulin and watched people come down to me from the wrong direction, bypassing the summit completely.

It seems to be one of those twilight zone type of courses.
Jeff SwordsMar 22 2017, 10:53amThe group I was running with mid pack, by no means going at any dramatic pace, were going to run straight at the section in question, so it wasn't just the front runners in fairness.

I remember some unfortunate one time summiting Maulin twice at that race, I think they otherwise were on track to take a category win or placement.
James H CahillMar 22 2017, 11:59amTorben's fairytale spurs me to rhyme:

A comment from Jeff, A dig at his brother,
Opened a worm can like no other,
The race was at Maulin,
The issue most galling,
Should wrong coursers their results suffer.

The top three and many others,
They ran fast without rudders,
A steep climb was missed,
The rest of the field pissed,
They awarded prizes to one another.

Top runner personal responsibility none,
Rule calls from frazzled RD some,
Blame put on back packers,
Who also lacked “trackers”,
Apparently place 87 affects those who won?

Blame put on markers and lack of marshal,
The tape apparently was only partial,
Poor marker John Bell atop the hill,
Freezing his balls off in Winter chill,
His reward for contribution - summary court martial.

And then some sanity, From Torben a tale,
A wolf on the mountain in wind and hail,
Eating the runners and common sense,
Gobbling the rules hither and hence,
Jaysus the thought it makes me pale.

The end of this sorry story,
Is in fact a little bit gory,
Warren’s offended,
Barry’s pram upended,
Volunteers sent to purgatory.

The moral of the tale is responsibility,
When we go awry on the mountain or in life,
Why do we blame someone (marshal or wife),
Seek not judgement or rulings from frazzled RD’s,
But look to your heart for there lie the keys.

If you look within and are told short course is ok,
That’s fine, take the prize and go and make hay,
If your heart tells you DNF cause you went astray
Do that without drama, there'll be another day.
Ciaran LewisMar 22 2017, 1:43pmFantastic James!
Is now a good time to ask if anyone knows of a short-cut for the Maurice Mullins Ultra?
Jim FitzharrisMar 22 2017, 1:55pmObvious answer to that: The Maurice Mullins Trail !
S.M. GriffithMar 23 2017, 7:03amI am beginning to think that this whole thing was orchestrated to give Torben and James an opportunity to flex their literary muscles. This is surely the real competition? What's next, a short story, a novella, and then a lengthy novel? Will we be seeing the whole sorry affair serialised on Netflix? One thing is for sure, 'the Arts' are truly useful in cutting to the heart of things and reflecting back to us our true natures. Well done ye bards ye!
Stuart ScottMar 23 2017, 10:03amI hope the other bard of IMRA, Brendan Lawlor, is warming up his quill!

I wasn't at Maulin so I've no idea what happened, but in general I would feel anyone who didn't do the full route should be short-coursed as a matter of course. This would have no effect on league prizes etc., it's fairer than a DNF and is just an extra key press for the laptopper. The onus is on everyone to study the route-map beforehand and if laziness sets in (as it generally does with me!) then you should accept the consequences. Getting mislaid is part and parcel of IMRA and it's a ritual most do at least once per year. It isn't really worth all this debate, entertaining as it is!
Justin ReaMar 23 2017, 5:35pmI blame Gerry Brady. Nobody in their right mind would turn up that ride (twice!) when there was a perfectly good path to the finish straight in front of you.

The original course was set with certain high performance objectives in mind.