Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round Attempt 2017

AuthorDateMessage
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 9 2017, 10:41amThis is an official announcement on behalf of Steve Wathall who will be making an attempt of the Wicklow Round on Monday 10th April 2017.
Steve will be starting at 2pm on Monday and will be supported at the usual checkpoints by Charmian Wathall.

Best of luck to Steve and Charmian, no better way to top off your Irish holiday break than having a run through the Wicklow hills.
Graham K. BusheApr 9 2017, 4:37pmBest of luck Steve. Hope all goes well and you enjoy your circuit of the Wicklow Hills.
Richard NunanApr 9 2017, 4:44pmBest of Luck Steve!! A great adventure awaits.

Hopefully the first of many this year .
Phil HodgeApr 9 2017, 5:44pmGood luck Steve - have a great adventure!
Denise MathersApr 9 2017, 8:07pmAll the best Steve and hope you have a successful round.
Nice to meet both you and Charmian at the Donard Challenge race yesterday.
Paul NolanApr 9 2017, 8:09pmBest of luck. Have a fun and safe trip.
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 10 2017, 10:58pmUpdate from Ballingagee Bridge, Steve through there at 18:06.
Splits are looking good, all is going well.
looks like it could be a nice clear night ahead.
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 11 2017, 8:42amThrough Wicklow Gap at 4:04am.
On the homeward straight now and looking good for great finish.
Mike JordanApr 11 2017, 11:35amIf my maths are right, going off Adrian's posts, Steve should be on PWS around 12 giving plenty of time to get to the bog road by 2pm. Could be another big year for rounds!!
Jason DowlingApr 11 2017, 9:05pmHope all is still going well for ya Steve, any update Adrian on how he's doing?
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 11 2017, 9:55pmUnfortunately a mere 12 minutes is all that stood between Steve and a 24hr Round.
It was an excellent attempt especially given the limited time Steve had to learn/recce the route.
We look forward to a short report that I'm informed Steve and Charmian will provide once they get home and are rested enough. It's from each attempt and subsequent report that we all learn.
Well done again for a great attempt.
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 11 2017, 10:12pmWow, very close call. Hard luck Steve, great effort.
Pól Ó MurchúApr 11 2017, 10:16pmAh 12 minutes...so harsh!
Pól Ó MurchúApr 11 2017, 10:17pmGreat attempt...no doubt you'll smash it next time!
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 13 2017, 9:16pmHere's an excellent report sent on from Steve regarding his recent attempt at the Round.

Wicklow Round by Steve Wathall
Monday/Tuesday 10th and 11th April 2017

Looking at my watch, only eight minutes to go and there was the van a few hundred metres in front of me with a load of heather and tussocks in between.
24 hours earlier saw me getting ready at the start of the Wicklow Round. Looking at the radio mast on the first top it didn’t look that far away and with a good access road leading halfway to it, it was a good start. Two pm and time for the long day to start with the run up the track to the mast on top of Kippure. Touching one of the old mast cable anchors, which looked to be the highest point, it was a run off to the military road and then down it to Sally Gap. Straight up from Sally Gap, the second top beckoned, Carrigvore. Following a deer trod the top was bagged. Time noted and compass out it was on to the third top, Gravale. Once again it looked like a nice trod would take me to it – bonus. Standing on the top and having done the time noting and compass bit, I looked back to the mast which was nicely in the distance behind me.
Over the next few tops, Duff Hill, Mullaghcleevaun (East Top), Mullaghcleevaun, Moanbane and Silsean, the routine was very much the same, time noted, compass out and sly look back at the mast. The only decision to be made was which way looks easier to the next top – through the wet patch or through the heathery tussocks? Running off Silsean I could smell beans on toast and thanks to excellent route advice from Liam the day before, the run off to Ballinagee Bridge was very pleasant. The beans on toast tasted good and I chased it down with 500ml of water.
Ten minutes soon passed and it was time to go south down St Kevin’s Way, along the access roads and up through a fire break to the next top Oakwood. The path came out of the forest but was soon lost so another bit of heather bashing. Back to the routine of time noting, compass bearing and wishing that I’d had another slice of toast! Leaving Oakwood on a deer trod and looking towards the next top I could see the three lakes, thought that they would be a bit closer, but keep going it seems good and along came the top. Oh no – wrong top!! I had been suckered by the trod and ended up on Conavalla. Never mind – it happens so a quick turn west and on to Table Mountain. (This mistake was to cost me dear).
From Table Mountain I had reccied the next section in clag, rain and high wind so with the night fast approaching what could possibly go wrong as they say. Following the path from the top of Glenmalur and obeying the warning signs not to stray right into the artillery ranges or to pick up any shell-like objects, it was over Camenabologue and on to Lugnaquillia Mountain (Lug to the locals), the highest point on the round at 925m and the only Munro in the Wicklows. Now in the dark and being careful not to fall over the “South Prison” of Lug, the top of Corrigaslegaun was navigated to. Trying to follow the path through peat hags and rocky heather, I found the fence and again after advice the day before, the cairn of Carrawaysticks. After a reccy the day before the way off should have been easy. Just follow the path to the forest, down the boardwalk, Wicklow Way and forest tracks to Drumgoff. Compass set, path followed, path lost, forest found but not where I should have been. Left or right? Left or right? Eany meany miney mo – Right. Twenty minutes later and what was starting to become routine – lots of heather bashing, I found a path. It went down and in the right direction so was good enough. I eventually came across the bottom of the boardwalk and got back on track and down to Drumgoff. Charmian, my roadside goddess has food and drink ready as if I was expected. I was now at the most southerly point of the round, half way in terms of distance and the legs not feeling too bad considering.
After a luxurious 20 minute stop and spag bol, cake and custard packed away, I set off into the clear, full mooned, chilly night, out of Drumgoff and up the Wicklow Way through the forest to Mullacor. With a nice path, if a little boggy, the run to Derrybawn Mountain was pleasant compared with some of the paths!! As the spag bol and cake were sitting a little heavy it was a good thing. Running off Derrybawn to the National Park centre was very nice with a smiling face and a sausage sandwich at the bottom. Back to a shorter ten minute stop and I only managed two sausages.
The climb to Camederry was steep and the legs started to complain but it got better as the ridge was gained. After the top the silhouette of the reservoir could be seen ahead. On the reccy, I went to the east side of it and easily picked my way off to the Wicklow Gap. In the dark there was no chance so maybe I should have gone to the west side of the reservoir and run down the road?
By now the night was getting cold and the wind was picking up so at Wicklow Gap I put on full body cover and topped up with a banana and tin of rice pudding. With a trod up Tonelagee, the legs were complaining again but I sighed after the top and set off downhill. Then I lost the path and ended up too far south and spent 15 minutes finding myself again. Good to know that as the body was starting to get fluffy, the head was still functioning. In and out of the car park on the military road at Glenmaclass Waterfall, the top of Scarr was calling and there was a faint glow in the sky – Hooray!! Climbing Scarr the sunrise was very nice with reds, yellows and oranges in the sky but on the top the wind picked up with gusts blowing me sideways. Having found this next section hard on the reccy on a fine day, I knew it was going to be tough and on this fine windy morning it was going to be agony. Backtracking of Scarr to Kanturk, I descended to the west of Lough Dean, over the fields and river and started the next leg wrenching climb known as Knocknacloghoge. Up through the boulders to the fence, turn right, follow the fence left, then trods to the top. Luggala didn’t look far away but with a good descent and re-ascent, river crossing and trying to pick the best trods it took 50 minutes. On the top, looking over Lough Tay with the deer in the fields below and Charmian parked in the northern car park on the other side, I’d nearly cracked the hard bit but still had a nice descent and a 200m flog to the car park to go.
At the car-park I had a quick refuel and with 4.5 hours to go I knew it was getting touch and go. From here to almost the top of Djouce Mountain was a boardwalk following the Wicklow Way which was very runnable but not today. From here it was also un-reccied territory. Over Djouce, War Hill and on to Tonduff North, this was now getting really hard. The nice path off Tonduff led me into Crone car park via forest access roads.
With the clock ticking I only had time for a gulp of water. I had planned to go up the twisty Wicklow Way to the top of Prince William’s Seat. This was along track, through forest, up roads and eventually up stepping stones to the top of the forest. Then a left to the top of Prince William’s Seat. On all the level bits, I was forcing myself to shuffle. Over the top the final summit was in front of me and it was in order to shuffle along again past the large boulders and onwards to the top. There were 33 minutes to go so straight line it over all the heather and push! All the motivational quotes came to me like “pain is temporary, failure is forever”, but it still could not lift the legs. This was probably not the best line.
Looking at my watch, only eight minutes to go and there was the van a few hundred metres in front of me with a load of heather and tussocks in between. I finished in 24 hours and 12 minutes so didn’t quite make the cut off but what a day to reflect on. Given my limited time available to learn the route beforehand (just 3.5 days), I am really happy with my performance and would recommend the Wicklow Round as a grand day out in some fabulous scenery. Maybe next year I will be back as a Vet 60?
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 13 2017, 9:20pmThe split times from Steve are as follows. Steve informed me he had based his target time on the guy who set the M50 target time. I'm honoured :-)

Checkpoint Actual Time Actual Split Schedule based on Adrian Tucker Schedule Split
Start 14:00 14:00
Kippure 14:38 00:38 14:35 00:35
Carrigvore 15:29 00:51 15:27 00:52
Gravale 15:51 00:22 15:46 00:19
Duff Hill 16:14 00:23 16:04 00:18
East Top 16:37 00:23 16:23 00:19
Mullaghcleevaun 16:49 00:12 16:36 00:13
Moanbame 17:23 00:34 17:07 00:31
Silsean 17:37 00:14 17:23 00:16
Ballinagee Br Arr 18:06 00:29
Ballinagee Br Dep 18:16 00:10
Oakwood 19:00 00:44 19:09 01:46
Table Mountain 20:10 01:10 19:57 00:48
Camenabologue 20:25 00:15 20:10 00:13
Lugnaquillia 21:22 00:57 21:02 00:52
Corrigaslegaun 21:36 00:14 21:19 00:17
Carrawaystick 22:12 00:36 21:31 00:12
Drumgoff Arr 23:19 01:07 22:18 00:47
Drumgoff Dep 23:39 00:20
Mullacor 00:50 01:17 23:35 01:17
Derrybawn 01:31 00:41 00:12 00:37
Camederry 03:06 01:35 01:47 01:35
Tonelagee 04:36 01:30 03:15 01:28
Scarr 06:31 01:55 04:58 01:43
Knocknacloghoge 07:49 01:18 06:20 01:22
Luggala 08:34 00:45 06:57 00:37
Lough Tay CP Arr 09:20 00:46
Lough Tay CP Dep 09:28 00:08
Djouce 10:06 00:38 08:33 01:36
War Hill 10:25 00:19 08:50 00:17
Tonduff North 11:06 00:41 09:27 00:37
Prince Wm Seat 13:06 02:00 11:32 02:05
Knocknagun 13:27 00:21 11:45 00:13
Finish 14:12 00:45 12:17 00:32
24:12:00 22:17
Steve WathallApr 14 2017, 11:18amMany thanks for the good wishes, advice freely given and support. I think I need a holiday to get over my holiday. All the very best and hope to be back to finish the job.
Laura FlynnApr 14 2017, 6:15pmJust getting time to read about your epic effort Steve...so near and yet so far....hard luck on that but well done too -it seems that but for a few small errors you would have got in comfortably. You picked a tough target time too from one of IMRA 's legends.
Hope you make it back again soon.