Irish Mountain
Running Association

Tonelagee

AuthorDateMessage
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 13 2017, 9:36pmThe Leinster Champs kicks off in less than two weeks time, Tonelagee being the first of five.
Thanks to those who have signed up so far, but we do still need a First Aid volunteer and possibly two more non running volunteers.
Please sign up if you can, especially if you're going to take part in this Championship and you have to sit this one out due to injury or some other cause!
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 16 2017, 1:26pmOne week to go to Tonelagee.

A First Aid Officer is still required.
Thanks to all those who have volunteered already, we seem to have sufficient now for all other jobs.

Based on previous editions of this race, here is a brief description of the route, the mandatory equipment required, and a note on road safety matters:

Route Description:
Starting at the Wicklow gap and running southeast along St. Kevin’s Way in a general direction towards Laragh until you meet the main road (R756).
Cross the road, and cut up onto the ridge between Brockagh and Tonelagee. Travel over the saddle and down to Lough Ouler. Continue anti clockwise around Lough Ouler and then up to summit Tonelagee. Finally head southwest from the summit with the classic descent off Tonelagee to finish.

Garmin route by Barry Moore (2015) (ignore his slight detour just before the road crossing):
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/750611657

Mandatory Equipment:
This race will be on an unmarked open mountain route. Competitors must be capable of navigating their way around the course. The mandatory kit is:
Map of route,
Compass,
Whistle,
Jacket (WP),
Hat or Cap & Gloves
If you don't have the mandatory kit you can't run.

Road Crossing Safety:
From a safety point of view, it will be mandatory to cross the road where St Kevin's Way joins/intercepts the road (R756).
Normal road rules apply i.e. runners must give way to traffic.
A Road Marshall will be in place at that point, they may have to require you to stop in order to allow traffic to pass, please work with him/her as regards that request.

Long Range Weather Forecast for Sat 22nd:
Cloudy. Moderate breeze, 6 m/s from northwest. 0 mm precipitation.
Orla McEvoyApr 18 2017, 9:14pmIf anyone is travelling from near Rathfarnham on Saturday I would appreciate a lift, I can travel to meet somewhere convenient, Thanks
Laura FlynnApr 18 2017, 9:33pmI plan to go orla. Can pick you up about 10.45am. Peter has my number if you want to text me
Conor O'KeeffeApr 19 2017, 10:47pmHi all, New to the unmarked races. Was wondering if anybody could advise where to pick up a map or is a print out of the course here all that is needed ?

Conor
Conor O'KeeffeApr 19 2017, 10:47pmHi all, New to the unmarked races. Was wondering if anybody could advise where to pick up a map or is a print out of the course here all that is needed ?

Conor

Conor
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 20 2017, 10:25amConor, ideally you should run with a good map of the area, EastWest Mapping and OSI maps are available on-line or in the usual good book stores outdoor shops etc.
However, the map provided on the event maps page is quite good, and provided you can read it and use a compass it should be fine.
The problem arises if you run off the map (which is quite possible in your current form!), that's where the full map comes into play.
Print it to waterproof paper of put it in a sealed plastic bag in case of poor weather or dropping into bog etc.
Weather is still looking good for Saturday, see you there.
Andrew HanneyApr 20 2017, 11:05amThis race doesn't seem to be on the list of products for purchase...
Greg RobinsApr 20 2017, 3:36pmNot done an IMRA race in years. Pse remind me how to register ... thanks
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 20 2017, 3:57pmTonelagee is now up on the products available for purchase.

Greg, You have to sign up & create an account and pay €10 for membership for the year. U'll be issued a race number for the year.Print a copy of receipt.
Then either pay €7 to purchase the product on the site, or buy a book of 10 vouchers (€50).
Bring receipts with you for Saturday, sign in, collect your race number, collect your vouchers (10) or show ur €7 purchase, run the race.
Greg RobinsApr 20 2017, 6:26pmThanks Adrian. Struggling a bit with the site despite 30+ years IT experience. Following a password reset signup worked from my previous usage-hence I can post here. My race number from before was 742 - do I use that or do I need to get a new one? I've tried 3 different browsers (Chrome, IE and Edge) but can see any products to purchase. Any help appreciated.
Mick HanneyApr 20 2017, 6:57pmGreg - race numbers are for the year in question, they don't endure.
The website has been a bit iffy recently but I'm logged on under Windows Edge now and its okay. You should be able to create a myimra account. If you can't I'd suggest you email the webmaster (in the contact details). Once you have a myimra account you should be able to see and act on the Purchase IMRA Products option.
Pól Ó MurchúApr 20 2017, 7:03pmHi Greg if you can post here then you have created an account so you should see an option up the top of this (or any page) - purchase IMRA PRODUCTS. Here you should be able to add membership and race entry and proceed to payment.
Greg RobinsApr 20 2017, 9:44pm"There are no Items currently available to Purchase"
Can you post me a form and I'll send a cheque?
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 20 2017, 10:11pmMust be some problem with your browser or something like that Greg, I just checked and it's there for me.
But no worrie's, so long as you have a race number for this year, come along to me on the day and we'll sort you out with a voucher,
Pól Ó MurchúApr 20 2017, 10:41pmApologies Greg...my fault...I'm a dope...I closed annual membership yesterday and set it to reopen 20th May instead of 20th April...doh!Without membership you can buy nothing so that would be why you can see nothing...Should work now...
Greg RobinsApr 21 2017, 8:39amAll good thanks Adrian - been shopping
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 21 2017, 6:18pmNow typically the Leinster Champs event's will attract the more seasoned hill runner who will usually know the sign-in process etc. and also the numbers of runners are usually smaller than summer league numbers.
But following on from discussion that has developed since last Wednesday's race, and in order to have an easy time at registration! her's just a few pointers for those running Tonelagee tomorrow.

First Race of Year.
1)If it’s your first race of the year and you don’t have a race number go directly to the NUMBER COLLECTION DESK and present your receipt / email showing your purchased Race Number details.
2)At the same desk collect your book of 10 vouchers, or identify your name on the Pre-Purchase List where it will then be marked-off as collected.
3)PRINT your name and race number and then Sign your name on the Race Entry Form.
4)Please use BLOCK Letters when printing you name and enter your race number clearly.

Have Raced this Year & paid €7 Pre-Entry on-line
1)Bring your RACE NUMBER to the SIGN-IN desk.
2)Identify your name on the Pre-Purchase List, where it will be marked-off as collected.
3)PRINT your name and race number and then Sign your name on the Race Entry Form.
4)Please use BLOCK Letters when printing you name and enter your race number clearly.

Have Raced this Year & Have €5 Voucher
1)Bring your RACE NUMBER to the (OTHER) SIGN-IN in desk.
2)Have your Voucher Card Stamped.

The Race
Wear your Race Number clearly on the front of your T-shirt/Singlet etc.
If you are wearing a jacket, that’s fine, still wear your number on the front of the T-shirt.
As you near the Finish Line, make sure your Race Number is clearly identifiable.
Open your jacket if you have to in order that the Finish-Line Marshall’s can read your Race Number. (Shout the number out if you can!)

Have a good one!
cathy wyseApr 21 2017, 6:37pmAnyone wanting to carpool from anywhere south-side? Happy to share fuel costs and can bike to wherever suits for pickup
Thanks
Cathy
Ian HarrisonApr 21 2017, 7:31pmCathy sent you a mail about carpooling
Justin ReaApr 21 2017, 10:44pmMy son Cian (former IMRA runner) is heading to Zambia with Habitat for Humanity, so to help with fundraising I will be selling flapjacks and lemonade at finish. Hopefully I won't be too far back! Donations gratefully received.
Justin ReaApr 22 2017, 6:29pmThanks to Adrian and all volunteers for great race today. And thanks to all who donated to Habitat for Humanity so very generously. The flapjacks and lemonade were certainly in demand.
Jason KehoeApr 22 2017, 7:16pmAce race today, enjoyed the slog! Thanks to all the volunteers and racers.

Strava flyby: http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#952936571?c=gc7mwpe9&z=D&t=1O_pSH&a=e6jMOJSLzDg_mcs4VPzLOCr9zDigQM04BDfMOMnLzTjq-ss4RDvMOKDHzjiqQNI4e6jPOBRezDhQ8s44
James H CahillApr 22 2017, 10:11pmThank you Adrian and all your assistance for a great trot in the hills today.....perfect day for it and you managed to have the race completed before the mist came in on the hills.
Harzer MarkusApr 23 2017, 12:23amHello together, if I follow the conversation a this page I understand the registration process now. It was disappointing me today that I couldn't start at Tonlagee. I stayed longer in Ireland for participating.
However - perhaps you can give a hint in your race description in general for the future. Hopefully next possibly comes soon ;-)
Kind regards
Markus Harzer
(Germany)
Mick HanneyApr 23 2017, 9:09amSorry about that Markus but, as you pointed out, all races require registration in advance.

If the webmaster can sticky the FAQS from the "Registration/ Sign in at Races" thread onto the home-page that should help newcomers

Thanks Adrian & team for a most enjoyable race in the hills yesterday. Great photos too.
Adrian HennessyApr 23 2017, 9:43amThanks Adrian and volunteers for a nice afternoon on the hills. I'll have to remember to do a shorter warm down next year to make it back in time for the flapjacks!
Andrew HanneyApr 23 2017, 10:17amThanks to Adrian and team for a great race yesterday.
Adrian Tucker RIPApr 24 2017, 3:33pmA big thank you to all the volunteers for helping out, great to have such good experienced people to back you up in your hour of need!!

Perfect day for it, and all seemed to enjoy the open mountain racing on Tonelagee that hearlds the start of the Leinster Champs.

Special mention there for Greg Byrne who had volunteered, help you all at registration, ran the race and finished 4th, picked up his camera and hiked back up the hill taking photo's, wrote a race report, uploaded a Strava file, uploaded some photo's on the event page, and all that on the strength he obtained from a sup of Homemade Rea Lemonade (nice idea and gesture from the Rea family, but be careful who's sipping that powerful fuel!).

Apologies to Markus and Amidou who seemed to have fallen foul of the glitch in the sign-up process on the IMRA website during the week, and unfortunately it was out of our control to issue race numbers on the day.

Also a slight hiccup with one or two other race numbers but hopefully when the results are up all will be OK. If there's any query re results just post here and we'll try sort it.

Hopefully have a splash at the lake again next year.
Pól Ó MurchúApr 25 2017, 2:11amResults posted now. I think I have corrected any incorrect numbers and emailed anyone relating to the changes but any issues please drop me a mail. Contact details in the "contacts" section below.
Mick HanneyApr 25 2017, 1:30pmConor - hope your injury isn't too serious. That St Kevins way start section is fairly messy. Easy to go over on an ankle there.
Maike JürgensApr 26 2017, 5:24pmthanks to all volunteers. race report from back of the field added.