Irish Mountain
Running Association

Registration/ Sign in at Races

AuthorDateMessage
Pól Ó MurchúApr 20 2017, 2:29pmWe had a small issue last night with 3 people collecting numbers and not running. All three had signed in for the race and this caused some confusion at the finish as it was believed that they were still out running. We had to call these people to confirm they were indeed not stuck out the Sugarloaf. Fortunately on this occasion we were able to make contact with all three however had we been unable to reach these people may have had to send volunteers out in search of them and/or call out Mountain Rescue.

We would ask people to only sign in if you intend to run and if you sign in and then don't run let Race Director/ Laptop operator know so we are not sending out search parties or calling Mountain Rescue unnecessarily.

Thank you.
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 20 2017, 4:17pmHi,

I would like to register and come along to the Wednesday races. I cannot see where to pay for anything though.
Mick HanneyApr 20 2017, 6:54pmPhilip - you need to get create an account on myimra. As a new runner this should be straightforward. Once you create your account and are logged in you should be able to Purchase Registration / Race entres from the Purchase IMRA Products option on the top menu.

Can I suggest that a 'sticky' is created on the home-page with typical "Start Here" FAQs which tend to come up over and over again e.g. why can't I purchase race entry etc.
Warren SwordsApr 20 2017, 8:46pmAgree with Mick. Same questions seem to crop up and some maybe unaware of importance of sign in sheet.

A sticky containing James's points re signing in etc Rough faq below. Feel free to add/delete.

Do you want to run IMRA races on Wednesdays?

Great. Here's what you need to do.

You must register online before you can enter any race. It costs €10 for annual membership. You cannot register on the day.

You will be assigned a race number. Please remember this. You collect your race number and chip at your first race. This is your number for the year. Please bring this to and from every race.

Once you have registered for the year, you are now ready to enter a race,.

You have two options.

Option 1: Enter race individual races online. Each race costs €7 and entries close on Tuesday, 24 hours before the race. No refunds.

Option 2. Buy a set of race vouchers. Cost is €50 for 10 entries. Your voucher contains ten race entries and at each race your card is punched. With vouchers, you do not need to register for a race in advance. You can just show up on the day.

On the day of race.

1) You must sign in before racing.
2) This is EXTREMELY important. If you don't sign in correctly, it could lead to people searching mountains in the dark for "missing people."

Why is sign in so important?

The sign in sheet is a record of everyone who is racing on the day. The sign in sheet is then used to make sure everyone is accounted when the race is over.

If someone signs in and doesn't race, it will lead to volunteers searching for you, believing you are still on the mountain.

If you haven't signed in and you do get lose. No-one may know you are lost.

How do I sign in?

There is a sign in table at each race.

You'll be asked to write your name, race number and signature.

Please use BLOCK LETTERS to record your name. If volunteers can't read your name, we have no idea who is racing.

Know your number. Make sure it's the correct number. Please try to avoid asking busy volunteers what your number is.

Arrive in plenty of time. Registration closes at 7.15pm. We appreciate it can be a rush to get from work to race start and delays happen. But try to be signed in before 7.15pm.

Put your race chip on your shoe. It is useless anywhere else.

What to do when race starts?

Run as hard as you can. Take no prisoners and make a mental note of your new enemies in order to beat them week.

Alternatively, have the craic and enjoy the views.

When you finish.

Make sure your number is clearly visible. This allows volunteers to record who has finished and who hasn't.
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 20 2017, 9:01pmHi,

Thanks for the reply. I initially went to the purchase tab, but it says 'no products available', so I thought there my be another area.
Mick HanneyApr 20 2017, 9:17pmSomeone on imra FB was reporting that no purchases were available to buy despite them being logged in so there could be a system problem to be sorted?
Pól Ó MurchúApr 20 2017, 10:33pmApologies Philip...my fault...I'm a dope...I closed annual membership yesterday and set it to reopen 20th May instead of 20th April...doh!Without membership you can buy nothing so that would be why you can see nothing...Should work now...
Paul GrantApr 20 2017, 11:41pmOn the race numbers, quite a few people last night had their race numbers on the side of their shorts, it was very hard to get the numbers. As an addition to your sticky FAQ list Warren I'd suggest - "Your Race number should be on the front of your running top. Jackets etc should be taken off before the finish line to make sure your number is visible"
Pól Ó MurchúApr 21 2017, 12:16amActually yeah what is that all about? I've noticed that in general at a few races I've been at recently (not just IMRA)...people folding their number up as small as they can get them and pinning them on their shorts? Watching too much athletics on the tv me thinks :-)
Brendan LawlorApr 21 2017, 6:38amWell done Warren - excellent idea - I've added a few bits -Pol you might put this up on the home page for a while under News

Do you want to run IMRA races on Wednesdays?

Great. Here's what you need to do.

1)You must register online before you can enter any race. It costs €10 for annual membership. You cannot register on the day.

2)You will be assigned a race number. Please remember this. You collect your race number and chip at your first race. This is your number for the year. Please bring this to and from every race.

3) Once you have registered for the year, you are now ready to enter a race,.

You have two options.

Option 1: Enter race individual races online. Each race costs €7 and entries close on Tuesday, 24 hours before the race. No refunds.

Option 2. Buy a set of race vouchers. Cost is €50 for 10 entries. Your voucher contains ten race entries and at each race your card is punched. With vouchers, you do not need to register for a race in advance. You can just show up on the day.

4) On the day of race.

4.1) You must sign in before racing.
4.2) This is EXTREMELY important. If you don't sign in correctly, it could lead to people searching mountains in the dark for "missing people."

5)Why is sign in so important?

The sign in sheet is a record of everyone who is racing on the day. The sign in sheet is then used to make sure everyone is accounted when the race is over.

If someone signs in and doesn't race, it will lead to volunteers searching for you, believing you are still on the mountain.

If you haven't signed in and you do get lost no-one may know you are lost.

6)How do I sign in?

There is a sign in table at each race.

You'll be asked to write your name, race number and signature.

Please use BLOCK LETTERS to record your name. If volunteers can't read your name, we have no idea who is racing.

7)Know your RACE number. Make sure it's the correct number. Please try to avoid asking busy volunteers what your number is. Don't confuse your race number with your voucher number

8)Arrive in plenty of time.Try where possible to carpool. Registration closes at 7.15pm. We appreciate it can be a rush to get from work to race start and delays happen. But try to be signed in before 7.15pm.

9)Put your race chip on your shoe. It is useless anywhere else.

10) What to do when race starts?

Run as hard as you can. Take no prisoners and make a mental note of your new enemies in order to beat them week.

Alternatively, have the craic and enjoy the views.

11)When you finish.

Make sure your number is clearly visible.Wear it on your chest (not on your back or your shorts) This allows volunteers to record who has finished and who hasn't.If you are wearing your jacket at the finish, open it to allow the finish marshals to see your number

12) Anything else?

-Don't wear headphones
-Jackets are mandatory - you will be disqualified if you run without one
- finish marshals and laptop operators are very busy so don't distract them by asking what was your time / finish position - you'll find out in due course
- if for any reason you drop out of the race please let the finish marshals know
- Enjoy your run !!
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 8:26amPol - Many Thanks for sorting the registration purchase. I look forward to running and meeting people next week
Phillip Thomas Edward SmithApr 21 2017, 8:26amPol - Many Thanks for sorting the registration purchase. I look forward to running and meeting people next week
Bronagh CheethamApr 25 2017, 12:30pmGreat idea guys- Id suggest adding couple of additional points to the ' anything else' on volunteering and prize giving as follows:

12) Anything else?

-Don't wear headphones
-Jackets are mandatory - you will be disqualified if you run without one
- finish marshals and laptop operators are very busy so don't distract them by asking what was your time / finish position - you'll find out in due course
- if for any reason you drop out of the race please let the finish marshals know
- Enjoy your run !!
- Every runner must volunteer to help out at races in order to qualify for league prize - see volunteer section on tool bar
- prize giving,social drinks and post race banter held after each race at nominated pub. see event page for details
Peter O'FarrellApr 26 2017, 3:11pmCan we as an association "register" 10 runners for the year and keep those 10 numbers free for the inevitable tourists who may be on holiday in Ireland and wish to partake in a race?
I have just read the Norse Sage otherwise known as "BEGINNERS Frequently Asked Questions (Le..."
and whilst I admire the dedication to observing the rules I do wonder are we entirely killing the joyful spontaneity of on off the cuff runner. The bould Tomerik Halvorsen springs to mind in this regard.
On his way back (to the tourist trap of Temple Bar) from the cleansing beauty of Glendalough he did spot the chance to partake in the Sugar Bowl one fine Wednesday evening in 2011. Had he tried that in 2017 no more then a sorrowful shake of the head would be achieved...
In the spirit of the rules we could insist that only bona fide tourists (with either a Temple Bar hangover or a ticket stub from the Guinness Storehouse) could avail of these 10 spots.
regards,
Peter
Alan AylingApr 26 2017, 5:07pmAny tourist who has achieved a Temple Bar hangover will not have the €7 left for an IMRA race :-(