Irish Mountain
Running Association

Curley R.I.P

AuthorDateMessage
Tom BlackburnMay 22 2017, 3:29pmIt is with great regret and sadness that I announce the death of a great friend and fellow runner Michael ‘Curley’ Cunningham. Curley passed away on Saturday morning at 7 am. Curley was well known in running circles and I have been lucky enough to have met him at the very start of his running career. At the time he was more into Soccer than running but when the soccer club went he began to concentrate on running. Within a couple of years we had won a national championship in the Dublin City Marathon and we won the county senior Cross country for the first time. Curley started to run in all disciplines such as Mountain races, Trail races, Cross country, Track and field and road races. It’s hard to say which was his favourite as he took on each race with the same enthusiasm.
When we set up Mooreabbey Milers AC, We were thrilled when Curley decided to join us and we just went from strength to strength. We won titles and trophies across all disciplines, among them: the county intermediate roads championship, senior and Masters titles. In every competition he was up at the front and in the masters competitions he was always winning. He never looked at who his rivals were he just went for it from the start and if you were better than him you bloody had to work hard to prove it. We went to the world Masters Mountain Championships in Italy where he led the race out, it didn’t bother him that these guys were World and European champions. He led us home and we went on to win the Bronze team medals. We went back the following year to Germany and did it all over again.
He decided he wanted to see how many races he could run in a year. Lots of people have done similar. In the Summer he often ran two races on a day and on some occasion’s even ran three. He clocked almost 130 races not including any of the park runs he did. The real record was the amount of podium finishes he got, category prizes he won and the variety of distances he ran: 5k’s,10k’s,10 milers, Half Marathons, Marathon’s and 24 hour runs.
Curley was truly a remarkable individual and everyone who knew him will confirm that. I have never seen him in bad humour or heard a cross word from him. He would just smile, laugh, raise his eyes and nod his head. We have lost a great talented Athlete, Club mate, and friend and I will miss him as I am sure everyone who knew him will. He was part of this great family of runners which I am also proud to be part of. This Family has no real boundaries from one club to another we are all mates, brothers and sister. I offer my sincere condolences to Curley’s family: His mother, father, brothers Seanie and Georgie, and Sisters Marie, Caroline and Brenda, his girlfriend Maura and all of his extended family. We will not see his like again, he was truly unique.
A Minutes silence will be observed on wednesday night at Lough Curra.
Laura FlynnMay 22 2017, 3:40pmLovely words Tom and thank-you for giving those of us who knew of him, but didn't have the pleasure of befriending him, a sense of the man. I'm sure he's a huge loss to you all. May he rest in peace.
Brendan LawlorMay 22 2017, 3:43pmLovely tribute Tom - we will observe a minutes silence at Scarr on Wednesday too
Richard NunanMay 23 2017, 4:02pmVery sad to read of his passing Tom. Didnt matter if you were front or back of the race or just started running - he chatted to everyone - such a humble lad !!! And could turn up at a race anywhere. Great words Tom, fair play! Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace !!
Brian LeddinMay 23 2017, 5:53pmMyself and my friend used to joke that there must be identical triplets in the family, all nicknamed Curly. It didn't seem possible that one guy would be at all the races! I was at the removal last night and there must have been thousands who came to pay their last respects. He was held in such high regard by anybody who'd ever met him.
Paul MahonMay 23 2017, 9:41pmCurley was an inspiration to everyone who's lives he touched with his good humor and energy for life and running as we witnessed "Flat to the boards from the gun" - He lived his life to the full for sure and will be sorely missed - RIP
Turlough ConwayMay 24 2017, 12:55pmVery sad news Tom. Always remember him as one of the friendliest people on the IMRA circuit among loads of friendly people. Thanks for sharing some of his adventures in the sport. A good reminder to us all not to be afraid to enjoy life and live to the full. RIP Curley.
Brendan LawlorJun 2 2017, 5:26pmhttp://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/mike-cunningham-obituary-he-was-always-content-with-where-he-was-in-life-451471.html