Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galty Crossing registration open

AuthorDateMessage
Patricia RyanMay 27 2017, 8:28pmRegistration for the Galty Crossing is open just until June 18th or sooner if we reach our quota. A lot of interest in it again this year.
john MulcairJun 7 2017, 6:53pmI am trying to register for this event but unable to do so.
Is the event full?
Alan AylingJun 8 2017, 7:27amI was able to enter just now. So not full. IMRA site might have been glitchy, worth trying again?

One of the best days in the hills last year, highly recommend this race to anyone that likes the open mountain and the navigation!
john MulcairJun 8 2017, 1:07pmJust after accepting my entry . That's great thanks.
Patricia RyanJun 15 2017, 9:50amLast chance to enter the Galty Crossing. Reg closes this Sunday 18th of June.
John BuckleyJun 18 2017, 10:32pmHey guys, went on today to purchase a place (as closing date was today, keeping it tight I know), was it closed off and booked up early?
Martin RiceJun 18 2017, 11:08pmNo sign of the event in IMRA products. Is it closed already?
Patricia RyanJun 19 2017, 12:01pmJohn Buckley & Martin Rice, please drop me an email on tricia.ryan@hotmail.co.uk.Thanks.(RD)
Patricia RyanJun 20 2017, 12:31pmNo entries being accepted for the Galty Crossing 2017
Tony SullivanJun 21 2017, 8:58amHi, Apologies in advance, entering the race completely slipped my mind, if some one drops out or if its possible to get a late entry I'd appreciate it. would love to do it again.
Conrad DalyJun 25 2017, 9:02pmI have a few questions regarding the route description in the event details. This is my first time doing this race so sorry if they are obvious ones.
1) Are all waypoints mandatory or just the ones specifically stated to be "MANDATORY"? Are the others just suggested waypoints?
2) There is a 2 digit number between 31 and 40 given for each waypoint. What are these? If I were to guess I would say they were control codes for SI boxes. If this is the case, this answers my first question.
3) I'd just like to confirm if the grid ref is correct for "Cairn Spot (Bain)", as there is nothing marked on the OS map at this location, and that the triangulation pillar at 449m does not have to be visited.
4) Where is Hammer head? I do not see anything by this name on the map and there is no grid ref supplied.
5) Finally, is there a suggested or marked path route through the forest before entering Cahir town. The location of Hammer head may go towards answering this question.
Gordon PlaceJun 26 2017, 1:02pmIf you look at google maps, I'm pretty sure from last year that Hammer Head is the turning circle at the top of the fire road north east of Slieveanard, and Bain is the cairn you can see directly to the left of that
Tom BlackburnJun 27 2017, 7:56amThe Manditory points are points that we want everyone to pass so that everyone does the same route. All points were put on the mountain to make it easier for people to find their way and if you can put them on your map you will know where or at least where you have been in case of emergancy.
There are also GPS maps up on the facebook and these will get you all the way if you like but the course is suppost to be navigated.
The Hammerhead is where you leave the mountain and enter the forest fire roads the ref number is S010-269.
The Numbers that you asked about are on the kites which are on these points you will have to punch the card that we give you at each point on route.
I hope I have answered your query if there is anything else please ask.
Tom BlackburnJun 27 2017, 8:02amSorry Bain is the last Trig point along the mountain and you don't need to visit it if you can plot a direct route to Hammerhead.
There are no arrows in the forest but watch out for red and white tape just past each junction to keep on course and check your map if you are unsure.
Conrad DalyJun 27 2017, 3:10pmThat's great. Thanks for answering my questions. Looking forward to it!
Louis MulleeJun 29 2017, 3:54pmAlso some details/Maps on the chat forum from last years race here:

https://www.imra.ie/events/forum/id/1390/
Barry HartnettJun 29 2017, 7:44pmWon't be able to make the race. Hope the day goes well. All the best.
Jimmy D'ArcyJun 30 2017, 8:08amApologies for late notice but I will not be able to participate. Best of luck all