Irish Mountain
Running Association

Connacht Champs Social (BBQ and Camping)

AuthorDateMessage
Stuart ScottJun 27 2017, 11:51amHi all,

It's getting very near time for the event of the season, the annual pilgrimage Wesht.

Following a poll of last year's pilgrims, the beach at Old Head unanimously topped the leaderboard for the BBQ location with camping nearby at the Old Head campsite. Thanks to Alice for the indepth research! Although it's a slightly longer drive to Nephin on the Sunday, the campsite is very near Croagh Patrick, has a cafe and bar on-site and is in close proximity to the very tasty pre-race fry in Louisburgh and the sea for a post-race E-Coliholic swim. There is no Firebird nor maggoty mobile home any longer unfortunately but on the plus side, it actually is an official campsite rather than an old man's field full of vehicular bric-a-brac!

http://www.oldheadcaravanpark.ie/gallery.html

All are most welcome. IMRA kindly subsidise the bbq and it really is the social event of the year (see https://www.imra.ie/events/photos/id/1052/). Plus you get two excellent races thrown in as well.

There's no need to confirm for definite but if you're thinking of camping, please let Alice know so she can give the campsite a rough idea of numbers. Same goes for the bbq - since we ate the butchers out of meat a few years back they do like to be forewarned too!

Stuart
Brian FennessyJun 27 2017, 4:50pmHi Stuart/Alice

Im planning on going that weekend, im bringing the family with me as well. So I can pay extra if needed for the bbq. My plan is to do one race and volunteer to do first aid cover for the Nephin race.
Let me know if there's any issue with bringing the family along. Just for numbers Alice we are 2 adults and 4 children. Many thanks and looking forward to the weekend. Brian.
Brendan LawlorJun 27 2017, 5:14pmWatch out if Fenno gets the guitar out - ye'll be up singing all night !
John BellJun 27 2017, 10:02pmThat sounds like a good plan to me. Count myself and my two brothers in for the camping and BBQ.
What happened to the old mans field? Is it booked out?
Stuart ScottJun 28 2017, 9:59amI'm not sure if the old man died or not, but he was mainly just letting us stay as a favour!

Fenno, fire away! They'll be more than welcome. Old Head is a proper campsite with proper facilities and the beach for the bbq is a short walk away. The guitar is mandatory :-)

Stuart
Brian FennessyJun 28 2017, 2:23pmHaha great stuff lads...Bren I'll bring the guitar and sure see what happens. Thanks Stuart should be a great weekend.
Rosemarie FitzGeraldJul 4 2017, 12:27amHi!
Count me in for the BBQ & camping!
Alice ClancyJul 7 2017, 5:59pmRosemarie, Brian, brilliant that you are coming camping and to the BBQ!! There's a group going down tonight and some more tomorrow.

Also those not camping but wanting to join in on the BBQ tomorrow, you are very welcome! There will be groups of people heading to the BBQ after Croagh Patrick, just ask around after the race!