Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wednesday evening races

AuthorDateMessage
Niall McGuinnessAug 24 2017, 1:19pmSorry if this is the wrong place for this: a first timer's account of the Wednesday evening races.

Thank you for making my Wednesdays IMRA

With a belly full of turkey and beer I joined IMRA for the first time this year on Jan 3rd. I had only made it to Howth Winter when the Wed evening races started. Figured they’d be a good way to train for the Nav challenges – my real reason for joining.

Started unpromisingly. Blew up spectacularly at Sugarloaf (finished 116th) and there was a moment on the way back where I couldn’t even walk the course. So it’s not all downhill from the top then! Cycled out to Howth next week and was guilty of enjoying the sun set over Dublin a little too much (finished 136th).

So in Carrick I felt I had a point to prove. I gave it go. I raced down a hill for the first time in my life. Fearlessly and recklessly and loving it! Finished 98th. Top 100!! Woo-hoo. Was delighted, if feeling a little guilty for bursting past Sorcha on the line after she had gone over on her ankle.

I decided then my goal for the season was to finish in the top 50 – might as well pick an unlikely figure.

Can I get a top 50?

Next week Glensnamullen and another sprint for the line – 74th! Scarr was lovely and I felt good. 64th! In Trooperstown I was cruelly (and correctly) disqualified for not having a rain jacket at the finish. Where did I finish?? I didn’t know! I still don’t know. The not knowing ate at me for a while.

Two weeks later at Djouce I knew a lot of the route for the first time and was in the top 50 til near the end I think when I lost the head in the slippery forest and then just ran out of steam. A few passed me as I walked the last stretch. Finished 56th. So close!

Wasn’t feeling good on Brockagh, didn’t enjoy the heat and was happy enough with 70th in the end.

Probably the most fun I had at any race was in Ballinastoe. Super fun muddy obstacle course! Finished 59th. Kippure handicap I thought I was in with a shout of challenging overall and tried to go too fast downhill and rolled my ankle in the bog. Limped to 58th. Next onto the trails and Devil’s Glen. Suffered all the way round to 57th. Getting closer to my top 50 but running out of Wednesdays!

Interrupted a week’s break in Waterford to join the super friendly Munster crew for a Wednesday eve in the stunning Comeraghs. Finished in the top 50 but decided it didn’t count cause there were only 44 entrants.

Got a stomach bug the day before Downshill and was happy I could run at all, managed 72th on a beautiful course and spooky evening.

My top 50 ambition was teetering on a precipice! It was all down to the Mountain Rescue benefit race. Last chance saloon on Paddock Hill. Great weather, good legs, great downhill and I finished 28th! It’s true there was probably a few less than most Wednesdays on the hills last night but I couldn’t give a rat’s! I did it!!

What did I learn?

I have never been particularly interested in running against a clock. Running is about how it feels to me, the experience, the sights. I like running in nature over the road whenever I can. I knew this already. I thought I didn’t care much about speed. Until I started running against you lot on Wednesday evenings. Thanks for all the battles. The best races have been the ones where I’ve had someone I’m clinging onto the coattails of or I just can’t quite shake.

I’ve loved every race and have such wonderful memories from my first summer with IMRA. Big thanks. I love you all.
Barry MurrayAug 24 2017, 3:56pmNice one Niall.... maybe you started something here for ohers to share their experience !
James H CahillAug 24 2017, 4:13pmVery nice overall report Niall. Well done
S.M. GriffithAug 25 2017, 7:29pmGreat report Niall! And don't feel bad for running past me after I sprained my ankle... you'll get used to enjoying tearing past girls in their moment of need- ask James Cahill. He knows all about it. Har har. Well done on your top 50 too. See you next season Cosmos- willing, when I will attempt to remain injury free. Wilkommen.
Niall McGuinnessAug 28 2017, 4:28pmThank you all. Hope you're fighting fit very soon Sorcha! Look forward to seeing you on the hills very soon again.

Barry, this report was very much inspired by your own race reports which I've enjoyed all year. Will add my own, when I know a few more names.
Michael McCarthy81Aug 29 2017, 5:24pmgreat report Niall!!