Irish Mountain
Running Association

All Wicklow Glacier Lakes

AuthorDateMessage
Liam VinesSep 29 2017, 3:29pmSeeing as there was a bit of debate about maps and compass here is something for you map people to have a look at!!!!!
I have read on a forum somewhere that when the Wicklow Glacier Lakes race was first put forward all the Lakes were in it and we ended up with the great race we have now.
I am planning a bit of a midwinter run..
Lough Bray (upper, lower)
Lough Tay
Lough Dan
Cleevaun Lough
Lough Ouler
Lough Nahanagan
Ferrib
Three Lakes
Arts Lough
Kelly's Lough
Glendalough (upper, lower)
Is that them all?
Don't have to be in that order
"No public roads allowed"
Be interested to hear people's route ideas. There is some rough countryside out there off the beaten track....
Gerry BradySep 29 2017, 8:57pmLiam, that would be epic as a solo challenge, we thought it was too much for a relay team. Your list agrees fully with my old list.

In mid-winter daylight will come into play as it is probably around 70 km based on some rough calculations made a few years ago.

No., Lake, Rough distance
1, Lough Bray Lower,
2, Lough Bray Upper, 1,500m
3, Lough Tay, 12,000m
4, Lough Dan, 4,500m
5, Lough Cleevaun, 10,500m
6, Lough Ouler, 6,000m
7, Lough Nahanagan, 4,500m
8, Lough Firrib, 4,500m
9, Lough Finnoige? (Three Lakes), 2,000m
10, Arts Lough, 7,500m
11, Kelly’s Lough, 3,000m
12, Glendalough Upper Lake, 13,500m

You need to decide whether to take on the slowest ground when you are fresh or when you are tired. I would be inclined to get a few hours in before hitting tougher stuff.
Luke RaffertySep 29 2017, 11:12pmCan we use poles? Lolz.......
Laura FlynnOct 4 2017, 8:36pmLiam, thought I might catch you here as you may not have seen other post. Can you let me know size and colour preference for the race director prize.
Thanks
Laura
Liam VinesOct 26 2019, 11:25pmSo I posted this two years ago thinking I would do it in that December but none of my running plans went to plan..
Today Mike Jordan and myself completed this route in a not so fast time of 12h31m for a distance of 68k of which only 200M were on the road.. Probably not the type of ground for some of you silky runners but maybe there are a few mules out there who might have a go.. We left plenty of time in it for you!!!!
Alan AylingOct 29 2019, 6:47amNice one Liam!
Presumably you got all 3 of the Three Lakes? ;-)
Rachel CinnsealachOct 29 2019, 8:47amWow Liam and Mike,,Fair play.... Amazing!!
John MurrayOct 29 2019, 9:42amNice one Liam & Mike!

A nice challenge to keep people occupied over the winter months! :)
John MurrayOct 29 2019, 9:50amLiam...when did you start the watch? Was it standing next to your first selected lake?

Just curious! lol
Peter BellOct 29 2019, 10:58amWell done Liam and Mike. Nice one!
Liam VinesOct 29 2019, 5:12pmToe wet in the first one to toe wet in the last one.. you would love it John and sure it would only be a small training run for you (-: