Irish Mountain
Running Association

Athletics clubs

AuthorDateMessage
Ken CowleyFeb 7 2018, 7:54pmI am considering joining a local AC for the convenience of joining in on some sessions this summer. I live in Inchicore, and was pondering; Liffey Valley AC in Islandbridge (the closest one to me), Donore Harriers (not too far away, and has good facilities), Rathfarnham (I know quite a few members there) or Crusaders (I used to be a member, but it's not very convenient for me where I live now). Are any IMRA members in any of these clubs? Any recommendations/suggestions? I realise that most ACs are (at best) neutral about mountain-running which is the running I like best, but I also like a little bit of track and road running in any case.. Thanks
John J BarryFeb 8 2018, 10:49amKen,

I'm with DSD. The Adult Met and Train group is geared towards mere mortal runners and we are separate to the true elites. Train in Marlay All summer and weekends for the winter. Ballinteer school for the Tues / Thurs 6:30 sessions. They have no interest in Mountain Running but yet they run up Kilmacshogue on a regular basis. A few mountain goats among the crew and I'm converting a couple more on the quite ;-)
Ken CowleyFeb 8 2018, 2:26pmThanks John, I hadn't considered DSD. Will ponder..
James HigginsFeb 8 2018, 10:10pmKen, you have made the right decision to join a club. For anyone wanting to develop as a runner, there is no argument not to. Structured training, coaching and by running and training with other runners you can only improve you as a runner.

Ideally, you should go for a club that is convenient to you. If travelling to training becomes a chore then you will lose interest. I can’t speak for any of the clubs you have mentioned but I’m sure that they are fine. Maybe you should try a few sessions with them all and then decide. Most clubs will allow this. Then go with your gut feeling.

If you want to try out my club Brothers Pearse, based off the M50 in Knocklyon then let me know. We can match any of the clubs you mention in terms of training, coaching and enjoying your running.
Ken CowleyFeb 9 2018, 10:03amThanks James, good advice..
Tanya SheridanFeb 15 2018, 8:08amHi Kieran, I do sessions in the Phoenix Park (link below). Absolutely love them and the people are very close to as great as IMRA people. Vinny is a tough coach but a really nice guy. The sessions run all year – Sat mornings at 9 am in winter and a second session on Tuesdays at 7 pm from April to October(ish). You pay in blocks of 5 to 8 weeks (10 euro a session) and once or twice a week (as suits you) so it might be a more flexible alternative to running clubs. Any qs, let me know.

http://www.vinnymulveyfitness.com/intermediate/
Ken CowleyFeb 16 2018, 10:25amThanks Tanya, looks like a good group, and location.