Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running top advice

AuthorDateMessage
Alan EddieFeb 9 2018, 9:13amHi All, said I would ask the experts, can anybody recommend a long sleeve top, that is kind of in the middle, not too heavy, not too light. I need something that I don't have to wash every single time too, so was looking at merino hybrids... I have merino base layers for hiking (brill for not stinking), but wind goes straight through them... so need something that will fend off bit of wind too. Its kind of hard to find I think... any recommendations ? Thanks a lot. Just want to get a decent one, instead of the many cheaper ones I have that ain't so good. Thanks so much.
Alan.
John J BarryFeb 9 2018, 9:33amThe simple solution is to wear tee shirts (long or short sleeve for warn / colder conditions) with a light windproof jacket. I certainly do not wash my jacket every time after a run!!!

NOTE: Recommended to wash the tee alright ;-)
Gordon PlaceFeb 9 2018, 10:02amI've a few, but go for the underarmour coldgear top every time except when it's balmy. Dries very fast and keeps the wind out better than the others, within reason. But needs a windbreaker if it's very cold. Been washed a 100 times and still grand after a couple of years. Think you can get them for about €35 if you look around

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/906176
Richard NunanFeb 9 2018, 12:37pmHave you tried the Columbia mens Omni-Heat midweight base layer half zip shirt . Converted to them in about 2013 at UTMB. Great tops!!
Conor MurphyFeb 9 2018, 5:07pmMight depend on your running plans. I like the faster 2 hour outings so even on the coldest days the combination of moving quickly and shorter time means I don't get too cold. Have long sleeve compression tops, Kooga and Under Armour, and they work perfectly, even in snow and freezing weather. Compression means wind doesn't get through as might happen with a looser top. If I was out on some long slow outing, 5 or 6 hours in snow, might be more concerned about the best retention.