Irish Mountain
Running Association

Beginner Navigation Course

AuthorDateMessage
Ann HoranMar 28 2018, 8:13pmDoes anyone know is it possible to do a navigation course for complete beginners in Dublin/Wicklow area? I’m hoping there might be one happening in the next few months.
Jason DowlingMar 28 2018, 8:48pmHi Ann,

I done the Mountain Skills Training 1 course some time ago and found it both very enjoyable and gained a lot of knowledge from it. It was a very solid foundation to increasing my own confidence in going out alone in the mountains. A list of upcoming courses can be found at: https://www.mountaineering.ie/courses/

Hope that helps,
Jason.
Pól Ó MurchúMar 28 2018, 9:07pmIMRA have in the past run some of these course too with the help of Paul Nolan. We may run another if there was enough interest.
John J BarryMar 29 2018, 8:01amAnn,

I fully agree with Jason, the Mountain Skills 1 and 2 are a great start to get into navigation.

Once you learn the basics from the courses its important to get out and practise.

The book "Mountain Navigation" by Peter Cliff is also worth getting your hands on.
Stuart ScottMar 29 2018, 2:55pmHi Ann,

I'd highly recommend Declan Cunningham and Wayne Jenkins if you're looking to do a MS1 course. Both are excellent and the course will teach you a lot more than navigation so you'll really get your money's worth.

Paul's inhouse courses are also great.

However, the best way to learn navigation is to practice and no better way than to do some orienteering. Check out www.orienteering.ie!

Stuart
Andrew HanneyMar 29 2018, 3:31pmI did both beginners and advanced course with Paul Nolan and both were excellent. I’d recommend if you can get a few more people interested and give Paul a shout.
Mark RaleighMar 29 2018, 3:57pmI'd be interested in doing the beginners course.
Brian FureyMar 29 2018, 6:49pmI'd be on for this.
Ann HoranMar 29 2018, 7:31pmPól/Stuart
How many interested parties would we need for the Nav course to go ahead?Finding a weekend to suit everyone at this time of year could be tricky.
Shane O'MalleyMar 29 2018, 7:42pmDefinitely interested.

Been doing some running on unknown trails recently and very nervous of something going wrong with my phone.
Need to be able to get myself out of trouble at this stage.
Gavin ByrneMar 29 2018, 8:00pmI'm interested, depending whens it's on as I work shift
Ian HarrisonMar 29 2018, 8:27pmI'm also interested...have been considering doing a mountain skills course for a while so would be great if there was something organised through IMRA
Williams AvaMar 29 2018, 9:03pmI'm really interested in doing this Ann if what ever weekend you pic suits!
Luke McMullanMar 29 2018, 9:13pm+1 Ann and will see if there are any dates that could suit me.

Thanks again.

Luke
Niamh KellyMar 29 2018, 10:30pmI would be very interested in a beginner navigation course and so would my husband Paul so add us to a list if there is one please and thank you
Niamh
Gordon PlaceMar 30 2018, 7:14pmFor anyone needing a compass, the silva expedition is currently €18 on sportpursuit.com
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/892672
Colm OConghaileMar 31 2018, 8:28am+1. I’ve been meaning to do a course like this for a while so would be interested too! Thanks, Colm
Tricia FlynnApr 1 2018, 11:12amI'm also interested in beginners course too.
Ann HoranApr 1 2018, 8:54pmOk I’ll try and get the ball rolling on this navigation course so. We have about 12 people who have indicated their interest. I think I have everyone’s number except for Mark, Brian and Tricia so if ye want to send me on your numbers mine is 087 9541716.

I’m going to get in touch with Paul and find out when he is available. Then hopefully send ye on one of those doodle poll thingies. If we can’t get a date to suit everyone will give priority to those who indicated their interest first. That’s probably the fairest way of doing it.
Pól Ó MurchúApr 1 2018, 9:45pmGreat stuff Ann! With that enthusiasm you should join the committee! :-)
Larry O'BrienApr 1 2018, 9:57pmI would be interested in a course as well if possible
Maola­osa McHughApr 1 2018, 10:47pmI would be interested also please.
catherine redmondApr 2 2018, 9:00amI'd be interested in one in the Munster area if that was also an option? Thanks !
Cyril FogartyApr 2 2018, 11:25amI would also be interested please.
Ann HoranApr 2 2018, 3:58pmHi lads
I’ve been on to Paul and he’s given me a good choice of dates so I’m going to text you on the poll and you just tick the dates you CAN do.

The course will cost €30 and you must pay up front to reserve your place.

So Cyril, Larry and Malaosa if you just send me on your numbers I’ll send you the choice of dates.

Catherine let me know if you’d like to join us in Glendalough. You are very welcome : ) Otherwise you’re probably better off setting up a separate Munster Nav course thread and sorting it out yourself.
Karl ByrneApr 2 2018, 5:03pmHi.. I would also be very interested in the beginners course..Cheers
Sandra PegmanApr 2 2018, 9:12pmI would be interested in a beginners navigation course as well please & thank you
Ann HoranApr 2 2018, 9:35pmHi Sandra
At the moment we actually have 20 people interested. Paul
Nolan can only work with groups of 8 or less so everyone gets the most out of the course.
Paul has now agreed to run two days.
If you wouldn’t mind texting me on 0879541716 I will send you a doodle poll to fill what days you are free. Then I can either put you on a waiting list or ask Paul if he’s available to run a third Nav day.
Ann HoranApr 3 2018, 8:26amI’m still waiting for Tricia Flynn, Cyril Fogarty and Karl Byrne to text me about the course. Please get in touch to secure your spot.
Still spaces available as we are now running 3 separate Nav course days.

Dates look likely to be all Sundays at 10.30am
15th April, 22nd April and 6th May.
Course costs €30 which is excellent value for 4 hours
James TuckerApr 3 2018, 9:53amHi Ann, great idea. I'd be interested in this too. I just text you there.
Rachel O'CallaghanApr 3 2018, 11:45amHi Ann, I am interested too. I will send you a text. Excellent value :) Thank you for organising. Rachel
Jane MerriganApr 3 2018, 2:22pmI promised Ava Williams I would do a navigation course with her this year so looks like I’m interested to! Nothing like a bit of forceful bullying
Ann HoranApr 3 2018, 8:06pmThe following are the groups for each course. Please take note of your date and stick it in your diary.

Sunday 15th April

Colm O Conghaile
Sabrina Glynn
Larry O Brien
Ava Williams
Jane Merrigan
Maolaosa McHugh
Irene Yeriskin

Sunday 22nd April

Rachel O Callaghan
Brian Furey
Henry Barry
Sandra Pegmann
Tricia Flynn
James Tucker

6th May

Ann Horan
Gavin Byrne
Luke McMullen
Ian Harrison
Mark Raleigh
Paul Kelly
Niamh Kelly

Cyril Fogarty, Catherine Redmond and Karl Byrne never got back to me so I’m going to assume they are no longer interested.

The course costs €30 and can be paid for through the IMRA shop. ( Just click on PURCHASE IMRA PRODUCTS) This will be up and running by tonight hopefully. Once you’ve paid, your place will be secure. Unfortunately if you can’t make it on the day for any reason there are no refunds. You can find a direct replacement but just let me know so that Paul’s list corresponds with who shows up on the day.

We can run the course with a minimum of 6 but can accommodate 8.
This means that there are currently the following spaces available

15th April - 1 place
22nd April - 2 places
6th May - 1 place

If you would like to take a place they will be given on a first come, first served basis so drop me a text on 087 9541716 and I’ll let you know if there is room.

The following is important information for the day itself

Time: 10.30am

Place: Glendalough Upper Car Park- €4 charge so car pooling would be a good idea

What to bring:
Whatever maps you have and a compass
(Paul Nolan will provide a standard map for each participant also)

Warm clothes for walking ( not running) , waterproofs, layers, hat gloves

I’m going to resist the temptation to form a WhatsApp group for this as I’ve already a few too many muted WhatsApp groups in my life.

Any questions about anything just fire me a text and try and answer it for you.

Thanks
Ann
Ann HoranApr 4 2018, 9:37amThe Navigation course is available to buy on the IMRA website. There are 3 options so make sure to purchase the correct date you have been assigned.
Your place on the course will be guaranteed as soon as you have paid.

Thanks
Williams AvaApr 4 2018, 3:52pmHi Ann

Can you put Ailish Byrne on the list for 15th April before the spot is taken and I will pay for myself, Ailish and Jane this evening, thanks
Ann HoranApr 4 2018, 4:11pmNo problem Ailish

This means 15th April course is now FULL.

Still spaces available in the other two courses.
22nd April- 2 spaces
6th May- 1 space

Sunday 15th April

Colm O Conghaile
Sabrina Glynn
Larry O Brien
Ava Williams
Jane Merrigan
Maolaosa McHugh
Irene Yeriskin
Ailish Byrne

Sunday 22nd April

Rachel O Callaghan
Brian Furey
Henry Barry
Sandra Pegmann
Tricia Flynn
James Tucker

6th May

Ann Horan
Gavin Byrne
Luke McMullen
Ian Harrison
Mark Raleigh
Paul Kelly
Niamh Kelly
Williams AvaApr 4 2018, 6:01pmHi Ann

So myself, Jane and Ailish are all paid up now for the course.... looking forward to it! Thanks again so much for organising all this.
Gavan DohertyApr 6 2018, 4:09pmFor those that are interested in learning navigation (and that survive the MM and Doheny & Nesbitt's!), Stuart's already mentioned orienteering.
There's an event on this Sunday in Laragh and the "Red" course is aimed specifically at hill runners. The navigation is pretty simple and ideal to get you started, total distance about 4.5km.
If you want a few navigation tips to get started ask any of the event organisers.
Paul Nolan cut his navigation teeth orienteering so it's worth investigating!

Full details below.

====================================
Orienteering this Sunday April 8th is on Brockagh Mountain, Laragh, Co Wicklow. The courses are on open mountain but still good for beginners/juniors.

Points to note:
- The area is fine for beginners and juniors (under 10/novice juniors accompanied, over 12 with some experience alone), but not buggy friendly
- There are several courses for a variety of abilities (shorter courses have easy navigation, longer courses have harder navigation).
- The Red course is aimed at hill and trail runners (about 5km with easy navigation)
- You can arrive and start any time between about 11am - 1pm, no need to pre-register (last start time is 1pm)
- You don't have to be in a club to take part
- you can go in pairs, groups or individually
- Cost is about €8 for adults with discounts for children (and sometimes club members, you can join GEN on the day for free if you wish)
- As all courses are on open mountain you will need a jacket

Getting there:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rFgFlWyjEVPTkOpBzgzktdVC3lmDxunH&usp=sharing
GPS Coordinates to the forest entrance are 53°00'38.6"N 6°18'08.9"W (53.010710, -6.302461)
Grid Reference is T 139 968
Google Maps "Laragh Trail Run"

Signposted from Laragh. On leaving Laragh by the R756, take a right turn up the hill passing the Brockagh Resource Centre. The entrance to the forest is on the right, just past the School and opposite the entrance to St. Kevin’s Church. Parking is about 1.5km drive into the forest, following signs.
You are driving and parking on forest roads - while the surface is generally OK, please drive and park carefully.

If you're unsure or have any questions you can ask any of the organisers (on the day or 086 262 1445 / gen@orienteering.ie), or check out the details on the GEN website (http://genorienteeringclub.com/2018/04/04/l
einster-league-no-4-brockagh/).

====================================
henry barryMay 2 2018, 11:24amHi ,
I'm looking for a running buddy for the Slieve Donard race . This event requires basic nav skills so it would be a good opportunity to put the course work to use .
let me know if interested .
H
Paul NolanMay 6 2018, 7:44pmThanks to everyone for coming out over the 3 courses, we had everything from horizontal rain to sunburn, and zombies to traffic jams. My bit is made so much easier when you guys are so enthusiastic and keen.

A few mentioned an interest in going another step and trying more advanced skills. If you'd express your interest on the fourm we can see about running an advanced session.

And finally, remember practice makes.... better
Niamh KellyMay 6 2018, 9:05pmThanks so much, Paul, we really enjoyed it and looking forward to putting it into practice and if another course is going ahead we would be very interested. It was a lovely day
Thanks, Niamh
Alan MaherMay 7 2018, 5:56pmMany thanks Paul. A very informative and interesting morning. Another course would be of interest... Maybe with some orienteering.