Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glasnamullen and an anti-clockwise lap of Djouce

AuthorDateMessage
S.M. GriffithMay 1 2018, 12:18pmGreetings Runners! And a Happy May to One and All.

Due to carparking issues, we have had to move the Glasnamullen race forward to May 23rd.

I would be very grateful for a plethora of volunteers to put their names forward at this point, as I have to fast forward my planning for same and get this all done in a few weeks, as opposed to a couple of months.

Please and thanks in advance,
Sorcha
Stuart ScottMay 1 2018, 12:32pmHi S.M.G.,

I can do the marking as per usual, if you'll have me. As my map reading skills are so bad, I'm happy to make the route as 'interesting' as possible.

Stuart
S.M. GriffithMay 1 2018, 8:45pmHa ha Stuart! Renegade race marker you may threaten to be, but I know you will be sufficiently impressed by my newly hatched plans this year (courtesy of Mr Vines) to be compliant! More anon.... In the meantime, míle buíochas :)

Still in need of many more volunteers though folks, so just bumping this to the top so my call out stays fresh.
S.M. GriffithMay 11 2018, 11:00pmIf anyone is feeling injured and/or altruistic, I could still do with a few more non-running volunteers please (am away next week so am trying to finalise things). Please and thanks in advance :)
S.M. GriffithMay 12 2018, 12:02pmThanks Alan!

As well as the need for a few additional non-running volunteers, I could do with another Race Marker to assist Stu-dawg Scott who will be carrying out renegade Race Marking duties the night before. I will guarantee rave entry to both Race Markers.

Extra volunteers needed because of the completely transformative race route this year and I will need extra marsalls because, wait for it..... (drum roll)..... the loop is going THE OTHER WAY. Wow. Up the boardwalk and down the grassy descent. Imagine.
Laura FlynnMay 15 2018, 4:52pmIMPORTANT NOTICE

As the Leinster League enters its second week we would like to alert our members than in some races run on National Parks’ land we are subject to a 200 runner limit.

There’s races are as follows:

Glasnamullen
Scarr
Sorrell Hill
Brockagh
Kippure
Circuit of Avonbeg

This is one of the conditions of the permit we get annually from National Parks and we have to return the race figures to then at the end of the year.
Unfortunately in recent years to ensure compliance, we had had to turn a few, though not many, members away which is very difficult for all concerned.
In order to give people a fair chance this year, we will be placing a cap of 125 on pre-registered entrants with the remaining 75 places being allocated to entries on the night using your vouchers.
If people who have pre-entered arrive late, the Race Director for each race will also have a discretion on the night to transfer their entry to someone waiting to enter on the night.

Thanks in advance for you patience and understanding on this.
Mick HanneyMay 18 2018, 8:10amI don't know the answer but it seems counter-intuitive that the majority of the pre-entries are for one-off event purchasers when one would expect the majority of people running races these days to be voucher holders who cannot pre-enter? At the very least make it a 50:50 split?
Laura FlynnMay 18 2018, 8:32amYou may be correct on that Mick and thanks for your input. We intend keeping this under review and tweak it if necessary.
Part of the reasoning behind it is to encourage people to pre-enter and avoid the frustration and disappointment of travelling all the way to the race only to be turned away on the night.
We recognize that there is a cost to voucher-holders in that they have to cough up €7 having already paid for the disco yard. The fact that they hold a voucher card doesn’t however preclude them from using the pre-entry facility.
It may be that the 125 cap won’t even be reached and people will chance it in the hope of an on-the-night entry. We’ll have to see how it works out next week.
Laura FlynnMay 18 2018, 8:41amIn case you’re all wondering what a “disco yard “ is... no, its not a Donegal Rave...I meant to say “discounted catd”
Brendan LawlorMay 18 2018, 8:47amHi Mick

There were just under 200 at Scalp and around 190 at Bray so the limit may not be an issue this year hopefully. Its very hard to get this one right but IMRA members should be aware that if people are turned away on the night its neither the committee or the Race Directors fault, its our National Parks and Wildlife Service who insist on the 200 limit.

Having been on the sharp end of this at Glasnamullan and Scarr for the past 3 years its a most unpleasant experience to have to turn people away.. most people are very understanding but theres always a few who aren't unfortunately
Mick HanneyMay 18 2018, 9:47amFair enough guys, thanks.
Siobhán LyonsMay 19 2018, 2:11pmHow about adding a facility on website to pre-register and tick box for voucher payment?
Gordon PlaceMay 19 2018, 5:24pmProbably be very hard to administer and you'd get people pre registering and ticking the box on the off chance and not turning up as no loss if they don't, skewing anticipated numbers?
Ian HarrisonMay 20 2018, 9:20pmAre any more volunteers needed for this?
Ian HarrisonMay 20 2018, 9:20pmAre any more volunteers needed for this?
S.M. GriffithMay 20 2018, 9:34pmIan- I have enough now thanks

Thanks to all those who have volunteered. I will be in touch with ye soon with the plan.

Looking forward to Wednesday:)
S.M. GriffithMay 21 2018, 9:21pm*****JUNIOR ROUTE*******
There will be a Junior Route of 5km, starting at same time as the main race but further up the fire road, near the fence. Junior runners will then take the last year's route up the grassy ascent on towards the shoulder of Djouce for approx 1.75km, and then return via the same way, then back on to the fireroad to the same finishing point as the main race.
As the Junior Route will start roughly 2km away from the car park, all junior runners will need to have signed in by 7pm, to start walking towards the junior start point at 7.05pm.

***************REGISTRATION************
As per Laura's earlier announcement with regard to races in which there is a limit of 200 runners in National Parks, *I am asking all pre-registered runners to have signed-in by 7pm, as I will be re-allocating pre-registered runners spots to voucher runners from that point on if the limit of 200 runners is looking imminent*.

This introduces considerably more logistical issues to work out on the night for the RD with this new system, so I would appreciate it if runners could be understanding while we try to roll it out. As Brendan said, we may not have to employ this system (and fingers crossed this is the case!), but if we do have to, then your understanding and patience would be appreciated.

I know yiz all will be very nice though- sure how could anyone who revels in the beauty of mountains like us be anything other than that ;)

On that note, the forecast is looking good and I hope ye all enjoy the race. 'Tis a lovely little route :)
Paul GonnellyMay 22 2018, 6:23pmHi how's it going?

I've just missed the 6pm deadline to register, but have bought a 50e race card. Can I still attend with this tomorrow? Sorry for the inconvenience.
John J BarryMay 22 2018, 6:32pmYes you can... Enjoy
S.M. GriffithMay 22 2018, 7:45pmSo the update is far fewer people pre-registered than expected so we still have well approx 120 spots free for tomorrow night for voucher holders. We seem to have scared people with all our warnings! I am now hopeful we won’t have to turn anyone away.

See ye all tomorrow:)
Fiona ByrneMay 22 2018, 9:52pmI notice that tomorrow's event is called Glasnamullen and a "Clockwise" lap of Djouce. Has the route changed from the last few years which always had anti clockwise lap. Thanks.
Fiona ByrneMay 22 2018, 9:52pmI notice that tomorrow's event is called Glasnamullen and a "Clockwise" lap of Djouce. Has the route changed from the last few years which always had anti clockwise lap. Thanks.
S.M. GriffithMay 22 2018, 9:59pmHi Fiona.... yup, THE ROUTE IS GOING THE OTHER WAY!! i.e. left at the fence after the forest, up the track towards the boardwalk, up the boardwalk to the top of Djouce, down the Eastern side of Djouce, back on itself, to join the Wicklow Way, and down the (mostly) grassy descent towards the river, before the final shlog back to the finish through the heather, down the fireroad. There will be loads of marshals on the course.

The Junior route will go right at the fence after the forest, and go up towards the shoulder of Djouce.
S.M. GriffithMay 22 2018, 10:20pm******EARLY START******
There will be an early start for runners whose average time is 160% plus of winner's time. There will only be one early start time. This is to make life easier for the laptop operators.

****MANDATORY JACKET & RACE NUMBERS*****
Please wear your race number on the front of your top, unfolded. Also, a reminder that if you don't bring a jacket with you, you will be DNF'd.
Stuart ScottMay 23 2018, 12:04pm****MARKING NOTES****

Hi all,

Conor O'Farrell and I marked the course last night. Conditions underfoot are the driest I've ever seen!

All the junctions are marked thoroughly with several pieces of tape before and after the junction on the side of the turn (e.g. tape on right means turn right).

A single piece of tape is just a reminder that you're on the right course. Multiple tapes imply a turn.

There are large straight sections such as the boardwalk or along by the forest which have no tape whatsoever. So don't be worried if you don't see anything.

Don't forget the course is CLOCKWISE this year.

Short summary - if you see tape, then look around and take care. If you see a junction, look for the tape. And if you see nothing, then put the head down and run! Keep an eye out for the river crossing on the way home too.

Stuart
Amanda (Mandy) KeeganMay 23 2018, 12:36pmI can't get link for directions to registration to work, can you send directions again from Enniskerry village please?
Conor O'FarrellMay 23 2018, 12:58pmAmanda

If you can find Glasnamullen on Google Maps(https://goo.gl/maps/us1rRJpDC2C2), just head there. You will be directed to the car park by someone. Just look out for the hi-viz vest and/or and IMRA sign.
Amanda (Mandy) KeeganMay 23 2018, 1:12pmok thanks.
Caoimhin MacMaolainMay 23 2018, 9:53pmThanks very much to Sorcha and all volunteers for a great run this evening. Course variation was great. Brilliantly organised race.
Gary Mason81May 23 2018, 10:31pmThanks to all involved. Excellent race, great course
Pádraig DoyleMay 23 2018, 11:58pmWell, that was a grand evening, now, in like, retrospect. Now, that like, the lungs and those kind of organ things have dodged the donor-man for another few days; now that the legs have run out of tears and stopped crying. Shhh, don't cry legs, don't cry. Save your little hairy leg-tears for next week.

Thanks Sorcha and your Troupe for a perfect race. I prefer today's route and variety even better. Fair play.
Hazel ThompsonMay 24 2018, 8:19amTired legs. Fantastic views from the top. Not sure which route I like best. Thanks to all for directing and helping!
Brendan LawlorMay 24 2018, 8:27amWell done Sorcha and team - great race! We haven't galloped down that grassy bank to the stream for quiet a while.. pure joy on a fine evening!
Stuart ScottMay 24 2018, 10:14amWell done Sorcha and team for a great evening out. You even organised the weather and scared away the midgies. Great to be back in the (proper) hills!
Mikey FryMay 24 2018, 5:15pmHad time so report up ..
S.M. GriffithMay 24 2018, 7:32pmThanks very much to all last night’s volunteers- yizzer only amazing. I definitely had the A-team behind me last night. And I must say, I actually had loads of fun.

Was interesting to hear what y’all thought of the new route!!

Last night for me exemplifies what IMRA is all about; great mountains, views, torturous/enjoyable runs, ridiculously entertaining sprint finishes, camaraderie, and just a good energy all round. Between bag-saving, jacket-giving, and generous field-as-car-park-loan and donation, the positivity meter was sky rocketing last night.

Major thanks to the field owners (and yizzerselves) again for the generosity. A whopping €430.05 was raised for Wicklow Hospice.

Roll on next Wednesday:)
Karen DevenneyMay 24 2018, 8:41pmThanks to Sorcha and team for another fantastic evening on the hills. Results are now up, please email me at karen.devenney at imra dot ie if there are any issues
Louis MulleeMay 25 2018, 2:25pmThanks Sorcha, great event :), Also fantastic amount raised for the Wicklow Hospice. There were quite a few who made additional donations on the evening, so thanks again to everyone who donated.