Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Carrauntohill Classic

AuthorDateMessage
Robbie WilliamsMay 16 2018, 12:28pmForming our own version of Snowdon or Warriors Run in Munster.
Sun 22nd July will see the inaugural Carrauntohill Classic Race.

The race will be the traditional Carrauntohill East route up the zig-zags & over nCnoic na Toinne and to the summit of the highest peak in Ireland and return the same way.

This will be a tough event with a lot of ascent.
It is definitely not a race for beginner runners
Elite runners will be out for just under 2 hours.

There will be a cutt off at top of Zig Zag path at 1hr 15mins.
There will be a marshal here.

PRIZES AS FOLLOWS:

1st Male and 1st Female will receive €500 each

2nd Man and 2nd Female will receive INOV8 Runners

3rd Male and Female will receive Running Jacket

You must have run a championship race in last 2 years to enter, otherwise contact rwpersonaltraining@hotmail.com
This is to ensure we don't have people in 'above their level'.

Food & Refreshments provided at Cronins Yard.
Camping also available on site please book in advance at Croninsyard.ie
Showers on site also.
Parking is €2 per car.
Mick HanneyMay 16 2018, 2:25pmFair play to the initiative and its indicative of a great hill running scene in Munster. Just wondering. The prize money is significant and out-of-step to other IMRA events. I can't recall an IMRA event which had more than the standard basic prizes. Is this then IMRA funded or is there a need to have a sponsor on board?
Robbie WilliamsMay 16 2018, 5:03pmHi Mick

Half and half
MMRA provide 1st prizes
John Buckley sports provide the other 4
Paddy O'LearyMay 21 2018, 6:43amSavage route, Robbie!
Conor MurphyJul 13 2018, 8:26amRecce this Sunday at 8am if anyone interested, check out the West Cork Trail Runners page on Facebook...
Michael ManganJul 14 2018, 2:04pmIf anyone or perhaps a family member wants a "warm up " run, the annual 4 ml race is on in nearby Kilgobnet on Friday evening at 8pm! Details in Star of the Laune AC Facebook page.
Robbie WilliamsJul 15 2018, 6:50pmJust a few points if you are intending traveling to Carrauntohill Classic next Sunday

1. You should have at least 1 championship race run in last 2 years or other high level non marked mountain race.

2. Be aware that this is a testing course and is a running race, there is a cut off at top of zig zags at 1hr 15mins. The marshal will need to withdraw you from race after this time has elapsed if you have not passed this point.

3. You should be comfortable navigating this high level terrain if there is low cloud cover/rain/mist/fog and basically 20m visibility.

4. Mandatory kit is:
Rain Jacket, Foil Blanket, Mobile Phone.
These will be checked on entry to start pen at 12:50pm.

Reg is on the day but you MUST BE A IMRA 2018 member and you must know your number. We can provide you with a physical number if you have not collected the physical number at any other race this year.

Sign in for race will begin at 11:30am and close at 12:30.

Briefing will be at Cronins Yard at 12:45pm
Patricia RyanJul 19 2018, 9:41pmLooking forward to another great day out at Carrauntoohill East, it's going to be a "classic"!
Eva EnrightJul 19 2018, 10:05pmHi,

I am very fit, from road running but new to navigation, is Carantoohill beyond me?

Honesty appreciated and welcomed!

Eva
Conor MurphyJul 20 2018, 6:32amIf it's misty or raining and visibility is poor, which happens a lot (sometimes it sweeps in during an ascent that looked fine to start off), and you cannot navigate or do not know the mountain, then there is a very real risk of getting lost. In Carrauntoohil veering off the route can be very dangerous in areas North of the Devil's Ladder, East of Cnoc na Toinne, there have even been serious injuries on the Zig Zags. In many mountains pressing on can lead to the inconvenience of being lost and keeping race directors hanging around for hours, in Carrauntoohil the consequences can be far more serious.
Caitlin BentJul 20 2018, 10:01amGood advice Conor. With big cash prizes, non mountain runners with no experience of the sudden changes in weather on our Hills, will be enticed to participate. I trust the organizing team have thought of this possibility.
Tim ChapmanJul 20 2018, 10:10amRobbie said in his original post you must have run a championship race in the last 2 years to enter.
That should help with the experience levels.
I'm glad I don't have to worry about trending the line between encouraging new participation and only letting people who have experience run.
Robbie WilliamsJul 21 2018, 9:11pmHi all

I am looking for a running volunteer to help with a mini movie we are getting made tomorrow

The camera man has asked if a runners in mid pack or further back could shoot sone scenes from the go pro in specific spots along the route

Thanks lads
Barry MurrayJul 23 2018, 9:41amstill cooling down from yesterday !

a hot race report now up !