Irish Mountain
Running Association

Another round attempt...

AuthorDateMessage
Gary WarnockJun 24 2018, 10:35pmGoing to have another go at the wicklow round! Not entirely sure why I've decided to go for it in the middle of a heat wave, but there you go.

Will be setting out about 04:00 on tuesday morning.
Richard NunanJun 24 2018, 10:55pmGary very best of luck, and listen. It's very hot so maybe skip Conavalla .... Paul was obviously making the most of the weather.
Graham K. BusheJun 24 2018, 11:19pmBest of luck Gary
Gareth LittleJun 24 2018, 11:39pmGood stuff! Best of luck out there
Alan AylingJun 25 2018, 7:51amGood luck Gary. Hopefully you won't need to crossing the M50...
John Ryan PrestonJun 25 2018, 10:22amGood luck, enjoy the day out.
Paul KevilleJun 25 2018, 12:03pmGood luck gary. The underfoot conditions are perfect. I hope the heat doesn't effect you and enjoy it.
Gary WarnockJun 25 2018, 1:40pmCheers :-)

I've adjusted my start time to 3:00. Want to make sure I get to Drumgoff before the worst of the heat hits

And I'm very kindly being provided with a tracker, you can monitor my suffering at:
http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowround18/?n=5
Jeff FitzsimonsJun 25 2018, 1:50pmBest of luck with it Gary.
Jason DowlingJun 25 2018, 10:08pmWishing you the very best on your attempt Gary, though don't leave any caches on the M50, pedestrians aren't allowed on that road!! Have a great and enjoyable run..
John J BarryJun 25 2018, 10:32pmlooking at your clover time, I'm expecting to see a fast one tomorrow. Super best of luck in whatever target you have in mind Gary....
John J BarryJun 25 2018, 10:33pmlooking at your clover time, I'm expecting to see a fast one tomorrow. Super best of luck in whatever target you have in mind Gary....
Stephen BrennanJun 26 2018, 10:08amLooks like he started around 3:30 - anyone know for sure? He's taking Richard's advice and skipping Conavalla! Go on Gary!
Gary WarnockJun 27 2018, 2:50pmSo another attempt, another failure!

Yeah, in the end I compromised and started at 3:30. Apparently half an hour isn't enough time to put on some clothes and step outside!
Started off quite good, trying to hold myself back. Good cloud cover. Got lost after silsean. Never been there before, just trying to follow where other people had gone. But my map didn't accurately represent what was on the ground. Once I got to the river I reoriented and just had to push through the forest to find a path.
Due to my last minute planning I hadn't left enough water below Oakwood (an extra freezer bag of water split)
Oakwood is hell.
Ran out of water on the way up table Mountain. All I could do was wet my t-shirt in the bog and stagnant pools to keep cool. No streams
Finally reached Drumgoff and had the cidona I'd been fantasizing about. And a coke. And some water. And then had to sit there trying not to throw up!
And that's how it went for the rest of the day: eat something, try not to throw up; drink something, try not to throw up!
In the end I was much slower than I'd anticipated. It got dark when I was on lugalla, my good head torch was on the road after tonduff (m50 I think it's called). Had a small emergency torch at sheep banks bridge, but didn't think there was any point trying to navigate somewhere new (my only recce I went east off lugalla and followed the Wicklow way), not at the rate I was going.
Thankfully Jeff was waiting at sheep banks bridge with a selection of goodies. I asked instead for a lift back to my van!