Irish Mountain
Running Association

Munster Calendar 2019

AuthorDateMessage
Aidan HoganSep 3 2018, 9:05pmLooking for Munster race routes and race directors for 2019.

It's that time of year where we have to start to think about the next year. The MMRA Committee will be putting together the 2019 calendar of events in advance of the AGM in October.

This is an open call to anyone who would like to propose a race for inclusion on the 2019 calendar. This could be a course that was on the calendar in 2018, a brand new event, or a oldie that has fallen off the calendar in recent years).

Once we have your suggestions in, the committee will put together a draft calendar to be discussed at the AGM.

We will also take any general feedback on the 2018 calendar. Too many races? Not enough races? Comments on the half marathon league? What would you like to see next year?
Barry MurraySep 6 2018, 4:44pmsuggestions:

- min 2 x MSL races in Kerry

- new event, Mountain Running Festival weekend, incorporating Mt Brandon MC
Alan AylingSep 11 2018, 10:30amThink something like this was done years ago as an official walk, possibly a run. A traverse of the Comeraghs south to north. Start somewhere around where the Seefin race was this year, finish at Powers the Pot. Could be an epic to complement the Galty Crossing!
John J BarrySep 11 2018, 12:21pmAlan,

That 'walk' still happens. I did it myself once..

http://www.dungarvanhillwalking.org/comeraghcrossing.shtml

Year I did it there was a few runners tearing of at the start!!!

WAterford Trail Runners did a route which was more East to West starting in Kilsheenin in Count Tipperary. That too was around Marathon Distance.

There is endless possibilities in the Comeraghs for various distances. Another half marathon option is a continuation of the Seefin Route over to Comeragh Mountain and return low level via Tay and Death Valleys. Around 23km. Brilliant route and no fireroad. It would feature a fabulous cliff run above the Valleys.
Aidan HoganSep 18 2018, 10:14amComeraghs suggestion sounds interesting. Does it come complete with a volunteer or nomination for race director???

Committee meeting tomorrow night to discuss calendar.
Conor MurphySep 21 2018, 9:43amBarry's running festival is a great idea. It's hard to bring people out to Dingle for a one off race. And there are so many mountains on the peninsula that it would be possible to get in a different challenge the day after, up and down Mount Eagle, Beenoskee, Caherconree etc. I see from archives here that there used to be a weekend programme there before, so has the tradition behind it. Plus Dingle is a lovely area, I think people would be inclined to stay and make a weekend of it, as they do after Mweelrea in Connaught.