Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon

AuthorDateMessage
Robbie WilliamsSep 6 2018, 5:22pmJust a heads up....

The new calendar won't be up for a while, but just to keep the training up as we head into winter... Friday 18th January at 12 midnight in the heart of Ballyhoura Country.

More details will follow, but think along the lines of...woolly hat, gloves, headtorch, banter with your running buddies, cauldrons of hot soup, & full Irish brekkie when finished....

#midnightwinteradventure
Patricia RyanSep 11 2018, 10:12amLove the sound of this Robbie!
Alan AylingSep 11 2018, 10:26amSounds class!
Walsh RowanSep 15 2018, 8:26pmBrilliant idea, would be class in the snow!
Robbie WilliamsOct 30 2018, 9:02amHello all runners, walkers, hikers !! We are happy to say....

Registration now open for the January 18th ; BALLYHOURA MIDNIGHT MARATHON.

Attention:

At this time we will take 100 entries.

Please read the following Registration procedures even if you are used to buying IMRA products/races.:

Entry to Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon is now open.
Please follow the following steps carefully to purchase event.

1. Before purchasing a membership you need to create an myIMRA login & password.
2. If you registered for 2018, you shouldn't see the option to buy 2018 membership. You should see the option for 2019 membership.
You should no longer see the 2019 membership after buying it.

4. Entry for BALLYHOURA MIDNIGHT MARATHON requires you either have 2019 memership already or you add 2019 membership to your cart. Both ways of doing it (buying membership separately or as part of the same transaction) should work smoothly.

Ps: remember the number you get is for next season, so if racing at Powerscourt, you use 2018 (this years number), otherwise you will not be recorded for that race.

Thanks Guys
Robbie WilliamsNov 3 2018, 7:00pmNOTE REGARDING ACCOMMODATION

Hi all,

There is some limited accommodation available as previously stated, but much less beds than runners.
We will do the distribution in a week or so,
The priority for beds will be
1. Race directors of MMRA & IMRA races in last 2 years.
2. Race organisers & volunteer for the event
3. Far travelling runners & raffle rest.

So, those who have Registered and ARE looking for accommodation let me know here.

The rooms will also be divided into Male & Female.
Those that are planning on walking the event will not be finishing until approx 7-9am so will not require beds.

Thanks lads
Robbie WilliamsNov 4 2018, 5:45pmIf you plan to do this race and haven't enter, it will probably close tonight as only handful of places left

Thank you
Gordon PlaceNov 4 2018, 7:41pmHi Robbie,
Can you stick Gordon Place and Padraig Doyle on the list looking for accommodation please? Travelling down from Dublin. Thanks
Ray LonerganNov 4 2018, 7:58pmHi Robbie,Just tried to sign up for this but it's not on the IMRA products list. Is it sold out? Will any other places be made available? Will there be a waiting list?
Robbie WilliamsNov 4 2018, 8:04pmBoth events are now full, that was very quick !

Waiting list closer to date if there are cancellations
Alice ClancyNov 4 2018, 8:24pmHello Robbie, I just missed the sign up! It sounds like a great event...Is there an email to send our names for the wait list, or just register it here on the forum? Thank you! Alice
Alice ClancyNov 4 2018, 8:25pmHello Robbie, I just missed the sign up! It sounds like a great event...Is there an email to send our names for the wait list, or just register it here on the forum? Thank you! Alice
Robbie WilliamsNov 4 2018, 8:49pmIf we do a list will post here and on MMRA FB
Gerard KeatingNov 5 2018, 8:48amWow, that was quick! Thats disappointing - I'll keep an eye on the cancellation list so
Alan ConnollyNov 5 2018, 11:24amAny chance of more entries being available ?
Larry O'BrienNov 5 2018, 11:29amHi Robbie
Can I put my name in the hat for accommodation please
Larry o Brien. Will be traveling from Wicklow.
Thanks
Siobhán HayesNov 5 2018, 2:33pmCan you stick my name onto the waiting list too. Missed the post as well. Thanks!
Denis O'BrienNov 5 2018, 3:58pmHi rob, can you add my name to the waiting list please? Thanks.
Denis O'BrienNov 5 2018, 3:58pmHi rob, can you add my name to the waiting list please? Thanks.
Debbie McCarthyNov 5 2018, 6:19pmHi Robbie
Myself and Helen O'Callaghsn would like to book 2 beds in hostel if possible please. Travelling from Kinsale.
Thanks
DEBBIE
Brían O'MearaNov 5 2018, 7:04pmRobbie, grateful if you could add me to the waiting list too please.
Brían O'MearaNov 5 2018, 7:04pmRobbie, grateful if you could add me to the waiting list too please.
Diarmuid OSullivanNov 5 2018, 7:55pmHey, not being critical but why only 100 spots?
Kevin O'RiordanNov 5 2018, 9:41pmHi Robbie,

Can you add me to the waitlist too.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Liam McCormackNov 5 2018, 9:51pmHi Robbie,

If there is a waiting list may I be placed on it.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Liam
John CarneyNov 5 2018, 10:13pmWould love to be placed on waiting list. Was away out of country and didn't realise it closing..very new to mountain running..
Kind regards
John
Joseph BoyleNov 6 2018, 2:40pmRobbie,
Could you put me down for accommodation if available. Travelling from Dublin.

Regards,
Joe.
Sinéad KeoghNov 6 2018, 3:53pmHi Robbie,

I'm registered to run and would be grateful if you could put my name in the hat for a bed for the remainder of the night please. Travelling from Galway city.

Cheers,
Sinéad
Phil behanNov 6 2018, 7:51pmGrateful if I could be added to the waiting list if one is being put together. Thanks. Phil
pat murphyNov 6 2018, 9:03pmHi Robbie,

Could I be added to the waiting list / cancellation list if possible please?

Best Regards,
Pat
Tadhg MoriartyNov 6 2018, 9:12pmHi Robbie.

Please add my name to the waiting/cancellation list.

Best regards,

Tadhg Moriarty
Fergus MelliganNov 6 2018, 10:06pmHi Robbie,
Can you put my name down for a bed please? I have registered and will be travelling down from Meath.
Cheers,
Fergus
Tom MelliganNov 6 2018, 10:08pmHi Robbie
Would you be able to put my name on the waiting list please

Thank you
Tom Melligan
Michael O'DriscollNov 7 2018, 9:59pmHi Robbie, please add me to the wait list, cheers, Mick O'Driscoll
Joe BerneyNov 7 2018, 11:48pmHi. Can I put my name in for accommodation ... Wexford. Tks
Robbie WilliamsNov 8 2018, 10:13amRe Accomodation:

Lads I have not allocated ANY accommodation yet.

As said originally, there are SOME places but it is not included in race but more we will given what is there out in terms of:

1. Race Director & Committee 2018
2. Distance travelled

All else will probably be a raffle.

Please do not presume that you have accommodation. We do not want runners to be stranded on the night.

The places that are there are for the MARATHON distance, unless left over.

If you need definitive accommodation at this time , Ballyhoura Mountain Lodges have a 5/6 Wooden Chalet x6 for €260 for 2 nights.

We are working on possibly more entry places but we will not have news for another week.

Thank you
Ian DelaneyNov 8 2018, 11:23amCan I put my own name Ian Delaney and Marvin Board down on the waiting list for the half Marathon please
Ian DelaneyNov 8 2018, 11:23amCan I put my own name Ian Delaney and Marvin Board down on the waiting list for the half Marathon please
Alan ConnollyNov 8 2018, 12:58pmI'd also like to be added to the waiting list Thanks
Robbie WilliamsNov 8 2018, 5:00pmLads
No waiting list at this time.

There will be a waiting list if we know for sure that we cannot enter more runners.

Working on it.

We would love you all to be able to do it , we just have to make sure we can handle it first.

Will update in week
Kevin O'RiordanNov 9 2018, 10:31amCurious about the route for this. Is it the same route as the Ballyhoura trail marathon from May?
Robbie WilliamsNov 17 2018, 3:14pmCan any runners that are registered to do this race and that have Race Directed in 2018, or were on the committee in 2018 , and that require accommodation please mail me on rwpersonaltrainingAThotmailDOTcom

Thank you

Ps: Kevin, route very similar
Robbie WilliamsNov 17 2018, 3:56pmWe will have some extra places for MARATHON coming up.
We will post here and on MMRA FB page with reg open time.

Not sure on Challenge places yet.

Thank you
Robbie WilliamsNov 17 2018, 11:21pmTomorrow 5pm 50 places available for MARATHON
kelly jamesNov 18 2018, 12:21amHi would it be possible to put myself and John Chapman down or is it opening and a first come first served basis. Cheers
Enda MaguireNov 18 2018, 12:20pmHey
So im already registered for the half marathon. Is there any chance i can upgrade to the full?? Ill obviously pay the difference :)
Cheers
Gordon PlaceNov 19 2018, 5:39pmHi Robbie, fair play on the extra places.
We stuck our names in the hat for accommodation, Gordon & Padraig travelling from Dublin, is there anything left to be raffled after RDs etc were sorted or should we just try and organise somewhere else?
Thanks
Robbie WilliamsNov 19 2018, 10:06pmNot sorted yet fully

Will u message me on the MMRA page end if week
Gordon PlaceNov 19 2018, 10:25pmThanks, will do
Paul MartinNov 20 2018, 1:54pmis there a link for a gpx file floating around for the route guys and girls?
kenneth MaddenNov 21 2018, 10:07amMap of the route would be great, or even just to know if its all predominantly on single trail rather than fire trail. Thanks
Robbie WilliamsNov 21 2018, 12:49pmThe trail is a mix of fire-road, single track and some road
I normally go for light trail runner, I think something like the x- talon would be a bit too much unless there is serious rain leading up to it

Will get file up ASAP guys
Paul MartinNov 21 2018, 1:04pmAwesome, thanks Robbie
Paul MartinNov 21 2018, 1:05pmAwesome, thanks Robbie
Adolfo GarciaNov 21 2018, 4:55pmCan you please put down my name for the Marathon waiting list?

It was long since I logged in and just saw this race is sold-out! Anyway if a spot opens and no one else is wanting to do the Marathon please let me know. I sure want to do this race.
Tiernan SwanNov 21 2018, 6:41pmHi,

could i be added to the waiting list for the full please!
Thanks
Robbie WilliamsNov 21 2018, 10:49pmLads no waiting list I’m afraid

That’s why we did the extra places.
Stankiewicz MichalNov 21 2018, 10:59pmHi any extra place left...?.
Torben DahlNov 28 2018, 9:59pmIMPORTANT UPDATES ON THE BALLYHOURA MIDNIGHT MARATHON AND MOONLIGHT CHALLENGE:

Thanks to everyone who has signed up! The desire to run on a cold January night was a lot bigger than anticipated with 230 now having entered the marathon and 100 having entered the half marathon.

1) We have no waiting list in place for any of the events. Sorry but they are now sold out. Strictly no transfers or refunds of race entries.

2) As for accommodation in the Ballyhoura Luxury Hostel, we have around 20 beds available for distribution, after having facilitated 2018 IMRA RDs and helpers of the event. The available beds will be distributed first of all to those travelling from furthest away. However, as the number of beds is limited, we might end up having to do a raffle.

For those who are looking for a bed in the hostel for the night of January 18, can you please e-mail the below details to torben dot dahl at imra dot ie :
• Name of the runner(s)
• Event registered for
• Name of place you are travelling from and the distance from there to Kifinane

Please e-mail those details no later than midnight on Sunday 2 December. We will then get back to everyone early next week.

Thanks!

Torben & Robbie
Torben DahlDec 3 2018, 7:53pmAccommodation confirmed for everyone who has e-mailed me so far, you all have a bed. There is still beds available, so please don't be shy! The rest of the beds will now be allocated on a first come first served basis, so please e-mail me ASAP. Thanks.
Torben DahlDec 3 2018, 8:04pm... and for anyone looking to stay in the hostel on the nights before and after race day, please contact the hostel directly. Cheers.
Paul MartinDec 9 2018, 2:52pmAny word on the gpx file or route for this guys? Would be keen to get a look in advance - thanks
Dave HigginsDec 20 2018, 4:23pmHi guys - just looking to see if the route will be up before the race?
Robbie WilliamsDec 23 2018, 2:36pmhttps://www.movescount.com/moves/move215725580

Try this lads, it is the route but in reverse
Mick HanneyDec 23 2018, 4:17pmCan you make a gpx linkdownloadable Robbie? I, or someone more techncally adept, should be able to reverse it and post a link back up.
Gordon PlaceDec 23 2018, 6:52pmHi Robbie,
I tried exporting that 'move' to route planner on movescount but nothing happens. I think you'll have to go to tools and export it to gpx, and if it was then uploaded to strava, people could download from there and do whatever they liked with it. Thanks
Mícheál O'RourkeDec 23 2018, 7:26pmwill someone get the man a gpx file for Christmas
Fabio BaltieriDec 24 2018, 12:23pmHi, I've just retraced it on Strava Route Builder (manually) in reverse and exported the GPX, try this:

Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/16420029

GPX: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_IFZ6pD8YPpX_doIXkth41OZcwy-tyW4
Gordon PlaceDec 24 2018, 12:39pmCheers Fabio
Robbie WilliamsDec 25 2018, 6:47pmThanks Lads

Had posted from phone as didn’t have PC access
Robbie WilliamsJan 1 2019, 9:02pmRecce of second half of marathon course (the challenge course) in Friday night 4th (coming).
I will update post here with details but will prob be 6:30pm in Ballyorgan village. Would be approx 2:40 hours.

We will possibly try to carpool so that we can have cars in Kilfinnane at finish to drop those who parked in Ballyorgan back to their cars.

Each runner is totally responsible for him/herself. Strong torch, bright jacket should be worn. Obviously trail will NOT be marked. Steady pace 2:30/3:00 pace
Paul O BrienJan 3 2019, 12:04pmRobbie, if we are finishing in Kilfinane would it not be better to meet here and carpool to Ballyorgan to the start.
Robbie WilliamsJan 3 2019, 8:06pmYou read my mind Paul

Yes, all interested we will meet/park outside Kilfinane Church, which is next to Scoil Pol (where summer even finished)

Meet at 6:20pm, quick transfer to Ballyorgan and start at or before 7pm and run back to Kilfinane
SUE HARDINGJan 6 2019, 8:59pmHi lads

Quick question re the course, is it clockwise or anti-clockwise ? From looking at Strava I thought it was clockwise but just wanted to confirm as there were a few red arrows and tape out this morning that were pointing the other way (may have nothing to do with next weekend)
Cheers
Sue
Robbie WilliamsJan 6 2019, 9:07pmIt’s Kilfinane through Glenroe, Darragh Hills, Ballyorgan, Seefin, Kilfinane

The opposite of the summer race.

We have no markings up yet.

They will be yellow reflecting arrows on white board
SUE HARDINGJan 6 2019, 9:21pmPerfect, thought as much but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks a mil

Sue
SUE HARDINGJan 6 2019, 9:21pmPerfect, thought as much but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks a mil

Sue
Clare KeeleyJan 9 2019, 11:35amHere is the link for Ballyhoura Campervan Park, locates just off the Main Street in Ballyhoura, spoke to owner Henry this morning , open all year and delighted to have customers for the 18th!
http://ballyhouracampervanpark.ie/
Clare KeeleyJan 9 2019, 11:52amLocated just off the Main Street in Kilfinane!
Alan AylingJan 10 2019, 6:16pmWhat's the mandatory kit?
Thanks!
Gordon PlaceJan 10 2019, 8:26pmHi Alan, there's kit mentioned on the challenge post, which also says there's an info email going out this weekend
Cian O'MahonyJan 11 2019, 10:06amHi,
Is there water for refill at the halfway stop?
If so, is that the only water on the course?
Thanks
Cian
Robbie WilliamsJan 11 2019, 1:23pmWater at halfway yes
David BosonnetJan 13 2019, 7:26pmWelcome to the first Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon.

It started as an idea for 20 of us to run the 42km and have a few pints after, and then it took off! We now have 330 people to run , hike, walk through the Ballyhoura countryside in the middle of the night.

So, here is the essential info for the night;

Registration at Scoil Pol, Kilfinnane, Co. Limerick.

TIME:
Midnight Marathon;
from 10pm to 11:30pm
NO REG AFTER 11:30pm.
Briefing at 11:45pm in school, you must attend.

**Arrive early if you have not yet received your 2019 number as you will need this to sign in.

MARATHON START:
The race will start at church carpark 100m from Scoil Pol.

Start is 12 midnight exactly.
A lead car will take you approx 900m out the road where you will turn right up onto the trail. From here on you will follow white reflective signs with red arrows. Runners should STAY ON A PATH unless an arrow points you off it. In other words, if there is a junction you are passing with no arrow, do not take it!!
Once on the trail, this next 1.5km are the same as the last 1.5km so please follow only arrows that you see in front of you, if you turn around you may see some for your return journey, ignore these at this time on outbound journey.

These may seem simple instructions but believe me, I have seen it mess up in daylight so keep aware. We know groups will be running/hiking and chatting which is great but please be aware at junctions and look for the arrows.

ROUTE AWARENESS & KIT:

Follow signs as above.
There are certain point where you are running on the road, so it is VITAL that you are as reflective as possible. Have head torch switched on at front, and at rear have ideally a flashing small light or at least, high highly reflective area which should not be blocked by a gear bag or rain coat.
We will try to have all the larger roads manned but if not we will have signs warning motorists and also have flashing red lights. Take note to be in a safe position in the road, cross road when safe if approaching tight side of bend (blind side).

Mandatory Kit is:

Rain jacket, Mobile phone, some sort of food, head-torch and spare batteries, high vis vest. NO EXCUSES.

Any issues , you can call the emergency number on the reverse of your imra number on the night. This will divert to Race Directors.

This is a winter challenge event and not a race. No prizes will be given.
All participants will receive a event beanie.

REFRESHMENTS:

Carry enough water to get to half marathon point.

Marathon group can avail of hot soup and roll at halfway. This will be provided at one of the holiday homes in Ballyorgan which will be marked. PLEASE KEEP NOISE TO A MINIMUM. Water refill also available.

When all have crossed the finish line, avail of a shower in Blackrock GAA Club, next to the school. Come back to school hall for a nice fry up and mug of hot tea and a chat to wind down.

Please note: those staying in hostel will eat in the hostel !!
Those NOT staying in hostel will eat in Scoil Pol.

Well done !

See you all on the night !