Irish Mountain
Running Association

College Championship 2019

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellSep 27 2018, 4:46pmFollowing on from a different thread (on the 2019 calendar) the 2019 college championships race possibly needs a PRO who is either a current or recently finished third level student with access to the clubs.

Ruairi Long springs to mind for some reason ;)

Ruairi - I think you and I have just volunteered as helpers on the college champs for 2019?

The race badly needs promotion amongst the college clubs and a date that runners can commit to because at the moment the numbers are paltry.
Picking a good date was always problematical as most of the hillrunners are also orienteers and cross country runners for their college.

In relation to the short course comment on the other thread (https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/4995) sorry there I wasn't very clear - I just meant that whilst the college athletes would of course run the long course at Maulin WL they might be more easily recognised as college finishers in the results if they used the separate race facility offered via the short course finish on the web page. It's not a big deal and I wasn't suggesting college runners do the short course.
Gordon PlaceSep 27 2018, 5:34pmWould tying in with another race day also demonstrate the bigger IMRA 'scene' more than a 10 person race if some are new?
Mike LongSep 27 2018, 5:41pmPeter it's great you are taking an initiative on this Leo has done a fantastic job keeping this one going and long may it continue The switch from being a junior to being a university student and a senior is not easy I feel we need to encourage the college folk to take part in this? Happy to help if I can On a parallel point if Camaderry is used in 2019 can the course be extended to the top of the mountain even if we start a little further up the fire road? Good work Mike
Ruairí LongSep 27 2018, 10:35pmHa, I guess that’s well deserved for my sins.
I’d be delighted to help encourage IMRA at college level. I know that Leo talks highly of the Trinity College Athletics PRO. Our own PRO at UCD Athletics could help as well.
I’ll gladly be part of the organizing team for this race, just if all goes well I most definitely want to run as well.

The clash between XC runners etc is a fairly major issue. For a lot of people the mountains just mean ideas of injury unfortunately. Setting aside a date ASAP with some time before major cross season is probably a good idea. Maybe around February could work
Leo MahonSep 29 2018, 12:45pmGreat to hear discussions re College ChampAt this time yes they are on my todo list I proposing Saturday 30th March on Camaderry back to original course to first summit cairn.If there are any varsity CC or orienteering events clashing let me know Calendar for 2019 has to be ratified by new committee