Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sli Gaeltacht Muscrai Ultra 2019.

AuthorDateMessage
Michael McSweeneyOct 31 2018, 9:30pmJust a heads up to those of you planning on running the Sli Gaeltacht Muscrai Ultra in 2019.The race will take place on Saturday the 9th of February 2019. The route will be the same as the 2018 event. Full details will be available on the 2019 events page once the 2019 calendar is finalized.
Fifteen weeks to train for a day out in the Musketry hills.
Michael McSweeneyOct 31 2018, 9:38pmMuskerry. :-)
Robbie WilliamsNov 2 2018, 7:22pmDetails are now updated on 2019 events
Remi DelilleNov 4 2018, 8:43pmIs this race available for registration yet? Pardon my ignorance (I am new to Ireland and IMRA), but I don't see a link anywhere to sign up.
Robbie WilliamsNov 4 2018, 8:48pmWe will open reg in next few weeks Remi
Will post here and in MMRA Facebook page
Robbie WilliamsNov 21 2018, 8:59amGood Morning ...

SLI GAELTACHT MHUSCRAI ULTRA is now open for entry.

73km of beautiful West Cork countryside on the 9th February is to be completed.

This race is a 4point UTMB qualifier.

There are strictly 100 entry places.

Cost €70

Bus transfer, parking, aid stations, race trackers, race t shirt, hot meal at finish, showers.

Remember you must be a IMRA 2019 member to enter.
Robbie WilliamsJan 2 2019, 9:57amThis option was down for a few days, the ultra has 20 places left so if you intend doing this race, please register soon.

The cut off is 100 people which is 2 bus loads transfer to start. We will not be ordering a third bus so make sure you are in.

Please no emails or Facebook messages once we have declared it full.

Thank you.

Robbie
Roger TegartJan 4 2019, 5:05pmis there a plan for the proposed recce of the route at the end of the month? time, start location? I'll be travelling down from Drogheda if anybody wants a lift along the way.
David BarryJan 5 2019, 9:49amI’m planning to run the leg from Kealkill to Ballingeary on Saturday the 19th and the leg from Ballingeary to Ballyvourney on the 20th. I will be leaving the finishing location about 8.30 each morning. I did the last leg (from Ballyvourney to Millstreet) about a month ago so won’t be repeating that. Smothered with a post Christmas cold this weekend so laying low.
Roger TegartJan 8 2019, 10:26pmDoes anybody have a .gpx file for the full route they could share?
Gordon PlaceJan 8 2019, 10:46pmHi Roger.
Try this link,

http://www.movescount.com/map?route=4090905&lat=51.90474020000001&lon=-9.22429583500002&zoom=13&activity=3&style=satellite
Gordon PlaceJan 8 2019, 10:54pmYou'd want to check it against the maps though
Gordon PlaceJan 8 2019, 10:56pmYou'd want to check it against the maps though
Gordon PlaceJan 8 2019, 10:57pmYou'd want to check it against the maps though
Gordon PlaceJan 8 2019, 10:58pmI mean really check it
Robbie WilliamsJan 14 2019, 8:02pmAnyone wanting to enter that isn’t in yet ..

Last 5 places now available.
We limited to 100 because of busses.
Dave WhiteJan 18 2019, 10:09pmHi guys is there a spot left for sli ultra
Robbie WilliamsJan 19 2019, 1:31pmSLI ULTRA FULL NOW.

There is no waiting list.

Thanks all.
Shane LynchJan 24 2019, 9:43pmHi Robbie, I am entered for the ultra but not be running it due to injury, not sure if this free’s a space for someone? (would have emailed privately if I could)
Neal O'RiordanJan 26 2019, 2:49pmHowdy...
Any gps file available for Ultra - wish to load to Garmin. Please.
Thanks ..
Gordon PlaceJan 26 2019, 6:33pmI think the one you can download above is right, you just would want to double check against the maps.
Michael McSweeneyJan 26 2019, 7:30pmNeal,
Gordon's route looks pretty bang on, except for he starts a bit soon in Kealkil village. We will start at Carrig an Easy Castle on the edge of the village. Also the Sli route is slightly different about 1km after the Ballyvourney check point (CP4). When you leave the farm fields and meet a small tar road at approx 49km, turn left and more or less immediately look to your right for the Yellow Man sign and some stone steps leading you up between two large rocks. Follow the Yellow Man signs from here.
Thanks for the route map Gordon.
Michael McSweeneyJan 26 2019, 7:34pmShould have said Eas instead of Easy. As we all know there is nothing easy about the Sli Gaeltacht Muscrai. :-)
Paul TwomeyJan 27 2019, 10:52amLooking for advice please or recommendations. Yesterday i took part in the sli half recce run. I went with Hooka speed goat 2 trail runners. Struggled a lot for grip. I will change to Inov-8 or Salamon for this section. Could someone indicate what the terrain is like from Kealkill to Ballyvourney please? Recommendations on what runners to wear maybe or will 1 pair do the entire race ? Thanks.
Neal O'RiordanJan 27 2019, 1:14pm@Gordon/Michael,
--> I had technical issues really, Movescount-newbie....behaving differently on Phone v Laptop.. for me..
--> GPX file in the bag now (via laptop)! .
Thanks.
Michael McSweeneyJan 27 2019, 7:28pmPaul,
The terrain from Kealkil to Ballyvourney is a mix of small tar road,forestry roads and single track, and some nice open mountain sections. Lots of nice wet slippery mud, bog and rock. If wore Inov8 Mudclaws for the full race last year and was happy to have the grip. Enjoy.
Paul TwomeyJan 28 2019, 7:58amMichael,
Thank you.
John MurrayJan 28 2019, 5:59pmBit of a silly question but it says registration is in the Town Hall. Is this the Council building opposite O'Hanlons Tyres?

Also, is there toilet facilities at registration? lol
Michael McSweeneyJan 28 2019, 8:37pmJohn,
It's the GAA hall across from Centra. Yes there are toilets at Registration.
David BarryJan 28 2019, 10:28pmAre crew allowed at the checkpoints or bag drops only?
John MurrayJan 29 2019, 10:31am@Michael - thanks!
Robert CarneyJan 29 2019, 10:51amWill drop bags and contents be returned to the finish?
In the case of changing footwear?
Roger TegartJan 29 2019, 9:46pmJust want to confirm that the downloadable maps on the events page will suffice for kit inspection?
Robbie WilliamsJan 30 2019, 9:10amThey will
Gordon PlaceJan 30 2019, 10:34amHi Robbie, does that go for drop bags getting back to the finish too? Thanks
Robbie WilliamsJan 30 2019, 2:26pmYa we’ll get them back
Can’t promise for front Runners that they be there by time they finish thiugh
Thomas RocheFeb 1 2019, 2:31pmHi Neal, can I send me on the gpx. I haven’t a breeze how to convert the movecount to gpx for my garmin
Robbie WilliamsFeb 1 2019, 3:37pmLads bag drops x2

Please keep all goods in aldi size bag, no big boxes.

Drop bag no1 (labeled with CP1 and your name) will be available at Gougane Barra.

Drop bag no2 (labeled with CP3 and your name) will be available at Ballyvourney.

These will be returned to the finish line.
Gavin ByrneFeb 1 2019, 5:51pmThanks Robbie... How's the weather looking down there ? Much snow?
Gordon PlaceFeb 1 2019, 8:37pmThomas,
I think you just open the link, and there's a drop down at the top or up. Der tools and you can download. I'll try make it a Strava route and stick the link on here.
Still not 100% on the bit coming out of ballyvourney that Michael mentioned earlier, other than that, should be ok
Gordon PlaceFeb 1 2019, 9:58pmStrava wouldn't let me, you can download here. As i said, run through it versus the maps, and see Michael’s comments on Ballyvourney https://www.dropbox.com/s/jx6bvdijghfuhoe/route4224716-Sl_Mhuscra.gpx?dl=0
Thomas RocheFeb 2 2019, 10:33amThanks Gordon, I’ll give it a try later
Loretto O'SullivanFeb 5 2019, 11:46amHi. I accidentally signed up for the ultra on Saturday and I ‘m signed up for the Half Marathon ( which I am doing). Could this entry be given to someone else?. Not sure what to do with it or how to resolve this. I won’t be doing the Ultra as I wouldn’t be able to do it.
Thanks
Loretto O’ Sullivan
Loretto O'SullivanFeb 5 2019, 11:47amHi. I accidentally signed up for the ultra on Saturday and I ‘m signed up for the Half Marathon ( which I am doing). Could this entry be given to someone else?. Not sure what to do with it or how to resolve this. I won’t be doing the Ultra as I wouldn’t be able to do it.
Thanks
Loretto O’ Sullivan
Matthew BranchFeb 5 2019, 1:39pmHi Robbie/Michael - can we check if Carriganass Castle is going to be open on the morning before we start. I believe they were closed at the start of last year because the bus was a little late. It would be great to have access to their toilets but also have a bit of a chat with the groundsman again....
Dave EvansFeb 5 2019, 2:39pmHi guys, just to confirm - there are 3 drop bags at 16, 29 and 48k respectively? It says that on the race page but i read on the forum that there is only 2
Robbie WilliamsFeb 5 2019, 4:18pmHi Dave

Apologies
The page is correct

There will be 2 dropbag points

This is to limit the load on race volunteers

I have amended same on the event page

Email will go out tonight or tomorrow anyway will all details
Robbie WilliamsFeb 6 2019, 3:19pmHi All competitors..

You should have recently received an email outlining all information for the Ultra this Saturday..

Make sure to take it easy this week in the build up.
John MurrayFeb 6 2019, 5:03pmHi Robbie, the email says that the checkpoint in Ballyvourney is in the GAA club building (big white building)?

Am i right in saying that when we enter Ballyvourney we turn right and run down the road (N22) in the direction of Ballymakeery, i.e. off the Sli Way towards the small GAA pitch called 'An Portach' GAA Field...which is only a single storey building according to google maps! lol

Or is there a mistake and the GAA club is actually in Ballingeary, not Ballymakeery? :)
Gordon PlaceFeb 6 2019, 6:44pmAre poles allowed on those stairs?
Jon FinnFeb 6 2019, 7:02pmApologies , injury has ruled me out this weekend. Dunno if space can be reallocated thx Jon
Mike JordanFeb 6 2019, 8:12pmRe: Ballyvourney Checkpoint - When you reach Ballyvourney the Sli turns LEFT onto N22 and then after 300m turns RIGHT into a small industrial estate where the aid station was last year. Just after you turn right there are GAA pitches on the left-hand-side of this road....while not on Google maps I would assume that this is where the checkpoint is?
John MurrayFeb 7 2019, 8:03am@Mike - that's exactly what I first thought after reading last years handbook! ;) But as there was no big white building I thought it might be a typo error. The other small GAA pitch in Ballyvourney is quite a bit off route.
John MurrayFeb 7 2019, 1:35pmJust double checked the gpx file on the event page and it is indeed showing a Bag/Water Drop just outside that GAA pitch at the beginning of the industrial estate. :)
Robbie WilliamsFeb 7 2019, 1:35pmCorrect

It is a very large facility in the corner, the building is a very large 2 storey white clubhouse
David BarryFeb 10 2019, 10:28amIf anyone found a wedding band at race HQ yesterday in Millstreet please let the race director know.
Mark KingFeb 10 2019, 4:10pmRobbie & team - many thanks for a well organised run and another great day out.
Eilis ConneryFeb 10 2019, 6:52pmThanks everyone for a great day out in the hills yesterday. The course and organisation were fantastic. Really appreciate all the hard work involved.
Mike JordanFeb 11 2019, 9:03amThanks again to all the organizers and volunteers for putting on another great edition of the SGMU. There is a huge amount of work involved in a race like this (and a half marathon too!) and it's greatly appreciated by us folk who get to run on the day.
Well done to Gavin Byrne and Eilis Connery on their wins and I hope all the other runners had an enjoyable day out in north Cork!
I have to agree with Robbie's race report - we're lucky to have such great trails and hills to run on in this country.

http://live.primaltracking.com/sgmultra19/
Rory LeadbetterFeb 11 2019, 11:44amThanks to all the organizers for a great day in the mountains and to all the volunteers standing on roadsides and hillsides keeping us all fed watered and motivated. Also thanks to all the other runners for the newbie advice, the company and the Craic.
Rory LeadbetterFeb 11 2019, 11:46amThanks to all the organizers for a great day in the mountains and to all the volunteers standing on roadsides and hillsides keeping us all fed watered and motivated. Also thanks to all the other runners for the newbie advice, the company and the Craic.
Avril ChallonerFeb 11 2019, 11:56amThanks to everyone for a great race on Sat, really enjoyed it.

I found a pair of black gloves and a black under armour buff on the ground on the route. If anyone lost them let me know and I'll try reunite you with your gear. I meant to hand them in at the finish line but got distracted by curry and tea.
Simon O'DriscollFeb 11 2019, 1:18pmAgree with everything said so far great day out on great trails with great support. Well done everyone involved