Irish Mountain
Running Association

2019 proposed ultra & IUC's

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganNov 3 2018, 6:53pmThe following x6 Long Distance events are being proposed as the IUC's for 2019.
1. Slí Gaeltacht Mhúscraí - 71.50k - Sat Feb 9th
2. Maurice Mullins - 51k - Sat March 23
3. Ballyhoura Trail Ultra - 58k - Sat May 4th
4. Wicklow Way Race - 127k - Sat June 8th
5. Glendalough Tucker Trail - 80k - Sat July 6th (formerly Glendalough Clover)
6. Glen of Aherlow - Loop the Loop - 60k - Sat Sept 21st.

Also being proposed are the following dates for other ultra events:
Ticknock Tick Tock - 75k - Sat June 22nd
Wicklow Glacier Lakes - 42.70k - Sunday April 14th
Stone Cross to Lug - 54k - Sat Sept 7th

We would welcome members input on the above suggested dates over the next few weeks.
Robbie WilliamsNov 3 2018, 7:32pmLads, do ye mean Aherlow 60km?
Lillian DeeganNov 3 2018, 7:38pmYep, a typo, apols. I'll ask Kevin to amend Loop de Loop to 60k Robbie.
Stephen BrennanNov 4 2018, 12:53amLooks good - looking forward to giving them a go
Ray LonerganNov 4 2018, 11:04amGreat to see that the Slí Gaeltacht Mhúscraí is included this year. Looks like a super line up and thanks in advance to the race directors and volunteers for making these 'big day outs' happen
Gary Mason81Nov 4 2018, 1:38pmLooks like a super year. Some amazing events to look forward to
Gary Mason81Nov 4 2018, 1:39pmLooks like a super year. Some amazing events to look forward to
Paul O BrienNov 4 2018, 8:45pm2019 is looking to be agood year already for ultra runners. Just a quick idea, how about swapping the Tucker Trail and the Wicklow Way.
The reason I suggest this is it would be better from a training point of view to be able to progress up through the various distances. The Wicklow way is over double the distance of Ballyhoura for instance. What do others think?
Paul O BrienNov 4 2018, 8:46pm2019 is looking to be agood year already for ultra runners. Just a quick idea, how about swapping the Tucker Trail and the Wicklow Way.
The reason I suggest this is it would be better from a training point of view to be able to progress up through the various distances. The Wicklow way is over double the distance of Ballyhoura for instance. What do others think?
Gordon PlaceNov 4 2018, 9:28pmHi Paul, this came up in another post on the 2019 Calendar, with others making similar suggestions. Personally I think its better to keep things mixed up to suit no one in particular unless by chance. Might suit the majority but everyone's at different stages with some maybe only building to 60km by September?
Clare KeeleyNov 4 2018, 10:23pmUltra line up looks great , I like the way the distances vary throughout the year. Thank you to the committee! Clare
John MollohanNov 5 2018, 11:10amFantastic! Really looking forward to trails and tribulations of 2019. I like the mixed distances. Stone Cross to Lug is on the same date as the Kerry Way Ultra - would be great to see a few weeks between them.
Raring to go. Thanks committee.
Arriba Arriba ándale ándale!!
Lillian DeeganNov 5 2018, 5:24pm.
Indeed John - Andale, Andale ;)

Dear IMRA Ultra event 2019 hopefuls,
I'm on with a word of caution on the off chance it has been missed with my initial posting - All noted varied events & dates are very much still provisional. All are still at proposal stage. Don't go booking your holidays or flights for Wicklow or else where just yet. Some events might be moved about, depending on member feedback and Committee final discussions.

So for now, as a reminder...... We have posted a line-up of suggested events with dates. We have asked members for their input on the proposed line-up. We have tried to plan the long distance events allowing members to build towards other non IMRA events where possible during 2019.

We have given members a few weeks to review the proposals/ suggested dated events. We hope to be in a position to confirm what's what in late Nov. I will be back on here to let everyone know the cut-off for member input on the ultra event listing.

With our new Committee now in place for 2019, we are in the process of pinning down a date for a meeting our end, for November.

More anon.
John MurrayNov 5 2018, 7:16pm@Lillian,

I like the line up myself and have no issue with the provisional dates set. Well done to the Committee, 2019 cant come soon enough! :)

Just to note that all the races are showing up on the Events page for 2019 and there is a forum topic from yesterday confirming the date of the Slí Gaeltacht Mhúscraí race!

Might be worth pulling them off the Event Page if still only provisional. Although as a relative newbie this may be the way its done every year so ignore me! lol

Great Race on Saturday by the way! :)
Lillian DeeganNov 5 2018, 11:39pmCheers John - lovely seeing you above at Powerscourt Ridge and post event in Enniskerry. Glad to hear your happy with the suggested ultras.

Re: The events page Ultra listing - nobody can enter any of the proposed long distance events until next year at any rate. We are looking at getting the WSL and SEL detail up at the moment to take us into early year. There is a bit of work involved with the inputting of specifics for the varied events, it's time consuming for the IT side.

It's a work in progress.... as someone once said.
John J BarryNov 6 2018, 1:16pmI found last years four from six events to be a big ask.

Can that be reduced to three if its only six events. But if there is going to be 7 plus events the four would be grand.