Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mont Blanc Ultra

AuthorDateMessage
Walsh RowanNov 8 2018, 1:03pmHi, just got a place in the draw for ultra. Any help and advice on travel, stay and training would be greatly welcomed
Pól Ó MurchúNov 8 2018, 2:40pmCongrats Rowan...I’m very jealous! I did t get a place this year. :-( Fly to Geneva and get bus to Chamonix it’s a short distance away - little over an hour. I’d usually use Easy Bus which drop you at the bus station in town but there are quite a few other options that will drop you direct to your accommodation. Air BnB is good for accommodation. Or Interhome. I was eyeing up this one yesterday on the hope I’d get a place! https://abnb.me/ILihy18bGR Stayed there last year very central and good price. You can book via Air bnb or directly via interhome. Think it was slightly cheaper direct. Perfect spot!
Avril ChallonerNov 8 2018, 2:51pmChamonix is great, we have always used airbnb. Lots of choice but it books up so worth doing it early. I personally can recommend pizzeria des moulins for a post race feed! They also have a sister pasta place... both are amazing.
Walsh RowanNov 8 2018, 3:43pmThank you both very much :)
Pól Ó MurchúNov 8 2018, 5:39pmOh no Poco Loco’s you only man for burger post race! Pizza pre race! Oh and the nightclubs called Amnesia...help you forget the pain!
Ray LonerganNov 8 2018, 6:13pmHi Rowan, I found the the company Mountain dropoffs a very good option for transfers from Geneva airport to Cham. Reliable & friendly service. From a training point of view I think it's a good idea to get used to long and very steep climbing in training, lots of speed hiking up the steepest, longest climbs that you can get to. The trails in area will really challenge quad strength and endurance. Enjoy the views and the atmosphere.
Warren SwordsNov 9 2018, 10:56amMountain drop offs are reliable.

Pizza Des mounlins is indeed excellent. Spotted a few of the elites eating there.

Re flights. I found flights to be the cheapest 4 weeks before I was due to fly. Got them for €100 return.

Re training, as Ray mentions, lots of steep power-hiking.
Train with poles if you plan to use them.

I didn't use them in CCC and well, that was a huge mistake.
Richard NunanNov 9 2018, 7:15pmI often find that its the descents that do the damage, there is some really nice runnable single track descents in this race - get thee up to the Mournes and hike up and down Donard Berneagh etc or the reeks - or just Climb up Camaderry a few times from the Upper lake side !! All good training
Walsh RowanNov 11 2018, 2:15pmUse poles already on steeper ground for longer races, and going by the profile on this they be badly needed. Many thanks all for the advice. Does anyone if altitude is a big factor, they recommend on website to allow time to acclimatise.
John MollohanNov 12 2018, 11:56amHi Rowan. I was hoping to enter this but I understood that registration did not open until 10th December, according to the website. How did you register?
Lillian DeeganNov 12 2018, 12:47pm.
Hi ya John,
A bummer you missed the lotto Reg window for the June '19 event in Chamonix. You had your eye on the UTMB Reg period in Dec. for the late Aug '19 races by mistake I reckon. If you've not already done it - I'd suggest you pull up the link for the June races and sign up for their newsletter/ emails. They circulated (well in advance) notice of the lotto entry period. Small silver lining - the June gigs for Mont Blanc get huge numbers akin to the UTMB races. Lucky lotto fever might not have gone your way anyways #JustSaying :) :)
John MollohanNov 12 2018, 10:17pmThanks Lillian. I thought Rowan was talking about the UTMB event in August, but I misunderstood. Thought I missed yet another deadline - you know my form... :-)