Irish Mountain
Running Association

Race Directing 2019

AuthorDateMessage
Ruairí LongNov 11 2018, 6:38pmHi Everyone,
What a great IMRA year it's been with some fantastic races thanks to some great RDs.

Myself and Mike are thinking about co Race Directing a race during early 2019, possibly for the Winter League or early LL. I know that sometime ago there used to be RD training courses and so on, but according to certain RD sources these aren't actually necessary (or at least he never did one).
Is there any plans to get these courses up and running again or would we just give it a whirl in a familiar venue? Would be a fun experience and there are some nice jackets involved too.......

Thanks
Laura FlynnNov 11 2018, 7:03pmThat’s great to hear Ruairi. The new committee are meeting in a couple of weeks time and will discuss RD training and try and set something set up. It would be useful if we could gauge interest so if anyone else interested maybe they could post here.
As a starting point I recommend you read the information on the website which you’ll find if you click the volunteer tab and then the Race Director role and guidelines. There may be a bit of updating needed on this which we’re currently working on.
Jason DowlingNov 11 2018, 7:56pmHi Ruairi,

A couple of options that will help you on your first RD role:

You could do assistant RD role before making the step up to RD. For the best part of it you'll be just observing the RD and it's great for seeing the origanisation that goes on behind the scenes.

Also, when you do put your name down for the RD role, stick a request on the forum and ask for an experienced RD to the assistant role or even a helper role. This gave me a lot of assurance on the day that I wasn't going to do something spectacularly wrong and was very helpful to know that some-one who was much more experienced in the role was watching over me per se.

The training that you referred to in your original mail was also very helpful as well so hopefully demand will be there from others as well for next season for it to happen.

The online docs were also quite useful.

Apart from that, just remember that there's plenty of help available so don't be afraid to ask!!

Wishing you the very best on your first RD outing!!
Brendan LawlorNov 12 2018, 8:46amHi Ruairi

I assume the Mike you are referring to is your Dad ? If so you should belt away as theres not too much any of us can teach Mike about IMRA races ! Perhaps ask for an experienced RD to act as deputy (and they can run in the race) as Jason suggests. Also try to grab a laptop operator, race marker and first aider reasonably quickly

If you send me your email address (to blawlor7 (at) gmail (dot) com )I'll forward you on the training material and documentation which is fairly comprehensive

Also anyone else who wants to give it a go next year, don't be shy.. there was a very snazzy and snug Race Director's jacket as reward for our efforts this year.. well worth the little extra effort
Brendan LawlorNov 12 2018, 11:07amHi Ruairi

On reflection I wonder would it make more sense for Mike to do RD and yourself to act as his Deputy to get a better feel for whats involved. Depending on the race I'll be happy to do Deputy RD and assist you both with it as long as I can get to run !
James TuckerNov 13 2018, 10:40pmI'll also be looking to dip my toe into RD duties this year.

I'll be keeping an eye out for suitable Deputy RD roles early on to get a feel for it but would be keen if there was a RD training course going ahead at any stage. Would be nice to get a good rundown of what's involved and some tips from such a course.
Cormac MacDonnellNov 16 2018, 11:11amI'm looking for someone to RDs for races on Blackstairs Mountain ( Carlow) in September 19 and Stradbally Woods ( Laois) in Feb ! Cormac ( SEL Coordinator)