Irish Mountain
Running Association

Sportswatches

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorNov 14 2018, 5:13pmHi

Looking for some advice on Sportswatches, ideally one with Heart Rate Monitor and recording of the route run

I had a Garmin before but the strap broke after just over 18 months of use
Lindsey HeppenstallNov 14 2018, 5:19pmHi Brendan,
If its a Fenix Garmin watch. I have a brand new strap you can have free of change. You more than welcome to it.
Brendan LawlorNov 14 2018, 5:28pmThanks Lindsey, very kind of you. Unfortunately its not - its the one where the strap can't be replaced
John GraceNov 14 2018, 6:19pmI use a garmin 230 which i slightly older model but works out cheaper because of this. The garmin connect app on the phone is the thing that really sets it apart from other makes. After each run you can view pretty much everything including graphs from the run for heart rate, pace, elevation, heart rate zone percentage for the entire run etc. Best heart rate monitors are polar but nothing beats garmin overall especially if you are a bit of a numbers geek like me. Reports are great for generating monthly milage and pace progress etc.
John J BarryNov 14 2018, 10:27pmIt seems the heart rate sensors build into the watch is still not solid technology. The heart rate strap is still the way to go.

One can still buy the garmin forerunner gtx 310. It's bulky but still one of the better Garmin's out there. Not dear either.

I have the Garmin Fenix 2. A cracker of a watch but probably hard to get now. Fenix 3 and 5 will be that bit dearer.
Paul SmythNov 15 2018, 4:18pmBrendan, you can easily get replacement straps on Amazon, eBay etc. Generally not hugely expensive. Certainly cheaper than buying a new watch.
Paul SmythNov 15 2018, 4:27pmOoops! Should have read the entire thread before I replied. I've just seen where you say the strap can't be replaced.

I'm curious - I never seen a Garmin you couldn't replace the strap on - what model is it?

I've previously replaced the strap on both my Forerunner and my Fenix.
Paul SmythNov 15 2018, 4:30pmUnlike John, I thought that the Garmin connect app was absolutely the worst thing about the whole system. I use a package called RubiTrack Pro instead because I got so frustrated with the Garmin software.
Brendan LawlorNov 15 2018, 6:34pmHi Paul

Its a Garmin Forerunner 210.. the strap is part of the watch housing.. not a good design
Stuart ScottNov 16 2018, 11:33amBrendan, a stapler and a roll of duct tape are very effective (not to mention cheaper) tools for fixing watch straps!
Brendan LawlorNov 16 2018, 11:45amIt was Duct taped fixed for three months Stuart ! Its beyond Duct taping and stapling now I'm afraid. I have a €30 Lidl HRM watch which is keeping me going but I do miss the proper route and other feedback you get from a GPS watch
Brendan LawlorNov 16 2018, 11:45amIs buying online the way to go ?
Gordon PlaceNov 16 2018, 12:23pmI got mine online. Black Friday deals all this week so you might get lucky.
Ive the Suunto Spartan Ultra and think it's great. If HR is important to you I'd get the model with the chest strap and not built in wrist monitor. They have a newer model out now so you might get good deal on the Spartan Ultra. The sport version is 260 on Chainreactioncycles.Com now. Never had a problem ordering from them
Gordon PlaceNov 16 2018, 12:28pmSorry, actually sold out on Chainreaction but the better Ultra version is on Sportspursuit.com who I have used before with no problems either
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1407499?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MzQwNCwicGFnZSI6MSwicGFnZVNpemUiOjQyLCJwb3MiOjF9
John GraceNov 16 2018, 1:39pmTry wiggle.co.uk
John GraceNov 16 2018, 1:40pmTry wiggle.co.uk
Paul SmythNov 16 2018, 4:00pmI'd shop around on-line for the best deal. Don't forget to include shipping costs as well. Some on-line retailers offer cut-price deals but then try to claw it back on S&H.
S.M. GriffithNov 16 2018, 10:25pmI got mine on Sportspursuit. Got a really good deal on it a couple of years ago- about half price! I would be surprised if you couldnt get a good deal online this week. I have a Garmin 610. Doesn’t sync with phones, but other than that, it does everything I need and more. Plus it looks slightly prettier than some of the others, but that night not be on your agenda :)
Brendan LawlorNov 17 2018, 12:51pmThank you everyone for the super feedback.. I opted for the Suunto Ambit 3 deal on Wiggle in the end. The knowledge and helpfulness of all IMRA members is as impressive as ever !!