Irish Mountain
Running Association

Solstice Run

AuthorDateMessage
Brendan LawlorNov 28 2018, 7:17amSolstice Run on Friday 21st Dec at 7pm , route as last year.

This is not an official IMRA event
Conor O'FarrellNov 28 2018, 1:14pmHi Brendan
Just for clarity (as I was not there last year, and there were 2 Solstice runs posted on the forum), I assume this is the meet/route:

########################################################
The route starts at the Ballinastoe car park,(Grid Reference O 194 077) then goes up into that forest with an immediate right hand turn, up the fire road for about 400m and then take a left up the fire break, cross the fire road again, and up track and out onto open mountain. Follow track up until you meet Wicklow Way, right on WW up onto White Hill and then on up to top of Djouce. Up and back is about 9km approx and should take between 60-80 minutes and people can turn back at White Hill if they have enough at that stage.
#########################################################

Thanks
Con
Brendan LawlorNov 28 2018, 1:24pmYes thats it.. I don't know what the splitters do in the morning ...God love them that they can get up at that hour
Peter O'FarrellNov 30 2018, 3:40pmBrendan - If the summer sun worshippers get their way it'll be nearly noon by the time the sun comes up next year ;)

And by the by if you do it properly you will be summitting Djouce at 22:22hrs on the 21st this year. No pressure!

The morning people will convene on Fairy Castle at approximately 08:30.
Traditionally we stand around shivering in the mist eating jeliies till about ten to nine and then head off to work/home.
Very occasionally the sun comes up.
Aoibheann GaughranNov 30 2018, 5:28pmOooh, tell me more about the morning run - where do you go from, GAP?
Jason KehoeDec 3 2018, 12:06pm-----------------------------
The Winter Solstice Sunrise is at 8:38am on Fri 21st Dec.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=12

Meet at 8:30am at Fairy Castle.
-----------------------------
Lots of people make their way from every direction and converge. Bring layers!

Rough Easy Run Times:
Kilmashogue Car Park - 35mins
Taylors Pub - 45mins
Ticknock Lower Car Park - 25mins

Last year we got a lovely sunrise and I broke my 7 year streak of fog/mist/cloud!