Irish Mountain
Running Association

Reeks Skyline - NEW !

AuthorDateMessage
Robbie WilliamsNov 30 2018, 12:46pmRace set for Saturday 14th Sept

High level route so exposure to the likes of Carrauntohill IC or Classic required.

We hope this test to be a great challenge of speed, Mountain running skill & endurance- over the highest and most unforgiving of Ireland Peaks.
Sarah BradyNov 30 2018, 3:46pmSounds deadly! Just saw that Skyrunner UK series will become Skyrunner UK and Ireland next year – is this race part of that series? Maybe just a coincidence that both announcements were made today! :)
Robbie WilliamsNov 30 2018, 4:48pmNo nothing to do with any series.

We decided on it in AGM last October.

Should be a good challenge.

Can all mailing please include the races they have done please.
This is for safety guys. A 5k Run in Corrin Hill woods cannot count for example, something like doing the Irish Champs or some other tough race with altitude & technicality

Thanks Lads
Alan AylingDec 1 2018, 8:03pmBring it on!
Sounds class, fair play Robbie & Co.!
Paul SmythDec 1 2018, 9:23pmI'd be interested but I feel there are a couple of issues.

The first is that the date clashes with a LC race but that's a minor point.

The more important issue is that you've set a race limit of 50 but you've given no indication of how that will be administered. You ask people to mail you their experience which is fine, but how will those 50 be chosen? Are you going to cherry pick those you think are worthy or are you going to take the first 50 people with suitable experience who mail you? The first would be elitist and unfair, and the second would just be unfair since there (to my knowledge) hasn't been any prior announcement of a starting entry date. I suspect that a lot of people would be interested in this race (and not just in IMRA), and with such a low entry cap, everyone should have an equal chance of getting an entry.
Gordon PlaceDec 1 2018, 10:46pmSounds like entry to the Isle of Jura, submit experience to get an invite. Although they've bigger numbers, still with a ballot if there's more experienced applicants than places available. That might work
Paul SmythDec 2 2018, 12:41amThe Isle of Jura approach would be fine, provided they announce a closing date for submitting entries and then select the 50 successful entrants randomly from all those submitted.
Brian MullinsDec 2 2018, 3:25amThere are a couple of issues, the first is that it clashes with an LC race. Seriously??

Was that a satirical comment?

No its just a minor point.

One can choose not to enter if it clashes with a race you deem more important for your purposes if you are heading for championship honours, true story.

More important is this. I can't find anyone in this country who has ever ran the full Eastern Reeks inclusive of Beenkearagh in one sitting and is willing to talk about it, it must be horrific. Please speak now if you have and share your knowledge ;-)

As an example just over 40 people entered the last IC race of 2018. Lets not create problems where none exist.
Conor MurphyDec 2 2018, 9:17amWow!

Great idea. This could become the best race on the island, a challenge to rival the classic longer mountain races in the UK like Glencoe, the Peris Horseshoe etc.
Robbie WilliamsDec 2 2018, 10:15amLads, it will all be grand.
I said 50 as it is my first time organizing the race. We may very well take more, just need to take sure we don’t book in more than we can handle.
I have a list of all that have emailed interest along with their races.

Entry won’t open until next year anyway, but entry list will only be those that have sent in emails at that stage.
It’s ages away yet!
Alan AylingDec 4 2018, 1:00pmBesides, if more than 50 apply, we're overdue a good waiting list saga... :-)
Roger TegartDec 8 2018, 7:25pmIs it too early to submit an application email?
Robbie WilliamsDec 23 2018, 2:37pmMail away if have experience

I’m accruing a list from those who have sent me race history

When we do open reg I will take the ones who have race history sent in only
Robbie WilliamsJan 2 2019, 3:37pmLads, not trying to pressure runners at this early stage, but we have 20 places (these are based on the 30 emails that I already have from runners who have emailed me with their list of experience of technical high level races).

The reg won’t open for a while, but those who have sent in already will be given first dibs on entry.

50 places in total of which 30 names on list currently.
We will go more numbers for next year once we give 2019 a go first, and make sure it all works out.

Thanks Lads.
Rory LeadbetterJan 2 2019, 11:16pmI’d like to think I’d be able for this. What’s the rough route and distance? Twenty something km horseshoe from Killarney side? Also, what’s the email address to send application to?
Rory LeadbetterJan 2 2019, 11:17pmI’d like to think I’d be able for this. What’s the rough route and distance? Twenty something km horseshoe from Killarney side? Also, what’s the email address to send application to?
Gordon PlaceJan 2 2019, 11:46pmHi Rory, more info on the race details page under 'events'
Roger TegartJan 5 2019, 10:26amis there a plan for the proposed recce of the route at the end of the month? time, start location? I'll be travelling down from Drogheda if anybody wants a lift along the way.
Conor MurphyJan 5 2019, 7:16pmA group of us recce-ing it on the 27th, part of the West Cork Trail Runners. We've hit the limit of 10 for groups allowed on the Reeks now (landowners require that groups of more than 10 submit an application form along with details of insurance).

We've had others express interest so join the Facebook group and send a message. We might get enough for a separate group and split it depending on pace etc.

I appreciate the owners won't be patrolling the mountains, but on the other hand the days of very large groups rocking up and hitting the Reeks are over. So if anyone wants to join this recce, let us know. Will need confirmation that anyone joining can navigate off alone, if necessary.
Robbie WilliamsJan 6 2019, 4:16pmI have over 55 email in now for interest, so please do not send any more emails with interest for the moment please.

Reg will happen in a couple of months. If there are people in the interested & qualify list that cannot do it at that stage we can allow more.

That’s all for now anyway folks.