Irish Mountain
Running Association

Howth Winter - New Route

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganDec 29 2018, 6:27am**Howth Winter - Revised Route**

Owing to the change of ownership at the Deer Park Hotel, we have a new route planned for this race. All necessary info's have been updated on the event page.

With Howth Winter being the 2nd race of the new year and a popular racing route - I'm putting out a call for plenty more helpers for RD John.
John AhernJan 2 2019, 10:23amTo echo Lillian's post above, please note the new start point for this race (quarry at Windgate Road). Please read the details and arrive early to allow time to walk to the race start.
Park at car park on Carrickbrack Road near summit. Ideally car pool from Sutton train station.

Please consider volunteering - still need laptop, first aid and more helpers. Thanks.
Ruairí McArdleJan 4 2019, 9:52amIs it possible to register and enter the Howth event yet?
I cant seem to be able to do it on the website, Many thanks
Ruairí McArdleJan 4 2019, 9:52amIs it possible to register and enter the Howth event yet?
I cant seem to be able to do it on the website, Many thanks
Conor O'FarrellJan 4 2019, 11:20amHi Ruairi

Entry will be open tomorrow. Race entry typically opens 2 weeks before the even for league (Winter/Spring, Trail and Leinster) races.

Con
John AhernJan 13 2019, 2:22pmHowth Winter is 6 days away!Thank you to those you have already volunteered. More info to follow later in the week.
I still need more helpers - specifically non running helpers, LAPTOP and shadow and FIRST AID. These postions need to be filled in the next few days or a decision will be made to cancel the race. Please consider volunteering. Thanks.
Tim ChapmanJan 13 2019, 2:39pmHi John,
I will have my 2 girls 3 and 7 with me also eager volunteers. If that's okay when I help next week.

Thanks
Tim
Shane O'MalleyJan 13 2019, 2:43pmHi John,
I have no experience but happy to be the shadow laptop operator and hopefully of more use in the future.

Cheers

Shane
Shane O'MalleyJan 13 2019, 2:43pmHi John,
I have no experience but happy to be the shadow laptop operator and hopefully of more use in the future.

Cheers

Shane
Miriam MaherJan 14 2019, 6:03pmShane - I've signed up for the laptop operator. You can learn on the job on Sat :)
Shane O'MalleyJan 14 2019, 6:32pmCheers Miriam,

Looking forward to it.
John AhernJan 14 2019, 8:54pmThanks for signing up Miriam (and others). I still need a FIRST AIDER for the race to go ahead.
Ideally I'd also get another few helpers in order to provide the same slick level of service Jim was able to provide at Hellfire.
Come on! Think of the nice jacket you might get as End of League Prize next year!
John AhernJan 15 2019, 12:32pmOwing to the distance between registration and the start and the relatively short course, there will be no early start at Howth Winter.
Also, self timing cannot be facilitated owing to insurance conditions.
Therefore the only option is the mass start at 12 noon.
Thanks.

Thank you Mary for agreeing to do First Aid-still need helpers...even running helpers.
John AhernJan 15 2019, 10:06pmSome additional points to note;
1, Voucher Cards - If you are collecting a new voucher card - Please have your purchase id detail to hand. You will be asked to present same to get your voucher card. Again a screen grab or print out will suffice.

2, Please know your 2019 race number when you arrive and have your number tag if you raced Hellfire.

3, There is NO parking at race start. You must park 1km away either at the registration car park on Carrickbrack Road or possibly at the Summit Inn area. Ideally car pool from Sutton Station.
Kate CroninJan 17 2019, 5:13pmHi, I have some race vouchers from 2 years ago. Are these still valid or do I need to get new ones? Thanks kate
Lillian DeeganJan 17 2019, 5:27pm.
Hello Kate,
We are aiming to tidy up the voucher system going forward. I'll be at the voucher desk at Howth. Will you see me there when you arrive Saturday morning and we'll get you sorted.
Kate CroninJan 18 2019, 9:34amWill do, thanks Lillian. Kate
John AhernJan 18 2019, 9:40amGood morning all - a few reminders about Howth tomorrow;

1. The race starts about 1km from registration. Registration is from 10.30 to 11.30 to allow time to walk to start.

2. Parking is at registration on Carrickbrack Road, on the Sutton side of the summit. Please do not park at the Summit Inn area. Overflow parking is at the summit itself, 200 metres up from the Summit Inn.

3. Juniors only do 1 lap at the mast. Everyone else does two.

4. Please bring your number if you ran Hellfire. Please know your number if first race of 2019. Don't forget voucher or purchase id of voucher.

5. Prize giving is at the Bloody Stream, Howth.
John AhernJan 18 2019, 9:43amOne more thing, helpers who may not have received my allocation of jobs by email - please meet at 10.15am at registration and I will go through it.

Thanks all.
John CondonJan 18 2019, 2:51pmIf you've qualified, 2018 'End of Year' Prizes will be available for collection at the race. Thanks.
Ruairí LongJan 19 2019, 4:24pmGreat fun in Howth today. A little bit of confusion with regards to loops and so on but probably partially our own fault for not researching the route a little better.
I'll write a race report to try and describe from my perspective what happened, but we all enjoyed it nonetheless.

Thanks to all the volunteers!
Garrett AhernJan 19 2019, 6:20pmReally enjoyed the race today, a long descent near the start and a short one at the finish were a nice change from the previous route.

But as i came through the woods beyond the tunnel ascent, a full 8 runners came out of nowhere from my left, clearly tape or a volunteer were needed at the top of the wooden steps to ensure all runners took the hard right turn.
John AhernJan 19 2019, 9:38pmThank you to all the volunteers today, without whom the race couldn't have gone ahead. Each and every contribution was appreciated.

I hope all runners enjoyed the experience and that injured runners are on the mend.

As often happens in IMRA (especially in Howth from personal experience) people can go wrong on the route. While it is first and foremost a runners responsibility to inform themselves of the route, every effort is made to mark the route to guide runners around. Had a third marshall been available, I would have placed them at one of the junctions near the mast. I know those junctions have often been marshalled in other years. However its all about allocation of scarce resources and the summit and the foot of the steep hill were assessed as the areas of highest priority.

It is hoped we can return to a Deer Park start in future when its new owners are installed.

See you all at Ticknock!

PS - I recovered a white woolly hat - anyone claim it?
Seán MateerJan 20 2019, 10:27amHi

Great event yesterday, my first run with IMRA. I ran yesterday as 1318. My time/finish isn't on the results card. Was I supposed to give my number to somebody after the race?