Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glenbarrow race also Laois Champs

AuthorDateMessage
Peter O'FarrellJan 31 2019, 9:55amI am looking for the phone numbers of;

Aengus Burke
PJ Carroll
Martin McDonald

and any other stalwarts from the county of Laois to inform them that the upcoming unofficial Laois hill running championships will be ran in conjunction with the official SEL IMRA Glenbarrow - River to Ridge event on Sunday the 7th of April*.

In keeping with custom and tradition the first Laois Man and Woman home will receive a specially commissioned prize that will draw envious glances from friends and family.

*race is subject to licence

some volunteers still required and there will be cake
Gaelan ElliffeFeb 10 2019, 12:59pmI've just joined IMRA and I am looking forward to this race. It's a lovely place to run. I live 25 drive minutes from there although just over the Offaly border so I won't be the first Laois man over the line (not that I'd have a chance anyway :-D).

Your calendar of events for the coming year is great.
If anyone is midlands based and wants to meet up for a run or share running locations please get in touch.
Gaelan ElliffeFeb 10 2019, 1:00pmI've just joined IMRA and I am looking forward to this race. It's a lovely place to run. I live 25 drive minutes from there although just over the Offaly border so I won't be the first Laois man over the line (not that I'd have a chance anyway :-D).

Your calendar of events for the coming year is great.
If anyone is midlands based and wants to meet up for a run or share running locations please get in touch.
Barry MinnockFeb 11 2019, 8:40pmCan we not make the prize available to all BUFFALOs to suit Gaelan & myself? :)
Peter O'FarrellFeb 12 2019, 9:04amEven better Barry - if you win I'll get your photo in the The Leinster Express.

All joking aside, if this race goes well I will try to have a race for 2020 either straddling the Laois Offaly border or getting up onto the unmarked mountain for a Leinster Champs.

Speaking of going well, we are operating a slimline event with minimum helpers and maximum racers but could do with a couple of running volunteers to help at registration, you can race after and a couple of non running volunteers, you can unmark after if you need a run.

thanks
Gaelan ElliffeFeb 14 2019, 10:12amI don't have far to travel for this one, I'm happy to help out and be a running volunteer. It will be my first time at an ImRA race. Im sure the task won't be complicated.

Barry: I prefer to think of my myself as an intelligent fella rather than ancugly one, bit BUFFALO certainly has a better sound to it. There are some nice runs on the Offaly side of the Sleive Blooms too. So An annual BUFFALO champion might be an idea lol
Peter O'FarrellMar 7 2019, 10:07pmHi Gaelan (and anyone else)

I will be running the Glenbarrow main course this coming Sunday (the 10th) at 10:40am should you wish to join for a recce.

I will start from the start location marked on the picture https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/147201/ which is essentially the road leading to the Glenbarrow carpark.

I will sign you up as a running volunteer Gaelan, thanks for the offer. There are a few jobs to do with registering all the runners before the race starts.
Elizabeth MorrinMar 7 2019, 10:24pmHi Gaelan .
Love to join you Sunday. Is glenbarrow carpark on Google maps .only live 20 mins a was at love to join ye ?
Love to join you Sunday. Is glenbarrow carpark on Google maps .only live 20 mins a was at love to join ye ?
Peter O'FarrellMar 8 2019, 7:09amThat's great Elizabeth. See you there.

https://www.coillte.ie/site/glenbarrow/

This will have a link with directions to the Glenbarrow carpark and we are starting a kilometre down the road, very near the road junction and the festival field.
Peter O'FarrellMar 12 2019, 5:25pmShaky Cam 7 minute video giving a flavour of the Glenbarrow course now up on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMP2PVY68E

Thanks to Kevin Keane for the loan of the GoPro.
Don't worry, I'll get better at making videos!

If there's anyone local to Laois or Offaly it's an enjoyable run, mainly on easyish ground.
On Strava here https://www.strava.com/activities/2203630235
Aengus BurkeMar 18 2019, 12:04pmHello Peter, great to see an IMRA event return to Glenbarrow,think the last one was 7 year ago. If you need a hand with anything let me know, 087 6100908. Aengus

Lorraine FennellyMar 25 2019, 5:04pmHi,

This event doesn't seem to under Purchase IMRA Products - how do you purchase this event? Am I missing something?
Peter O'FarrellMar 25 2019, 10:19pmHello Lorraine,

Thanks for highlighting that.
We will hopefully get Glenbarrow added to the list of purchasable events in the next few days.

Aengus, as the reigning champion it would be super to have you come back and defend your crown!

And as is now traditional, just putting a call out for a few volunteers to fill the essential roles to help the race run smoothly.
Peter O'FarrellMar 26 2019, 7:13amThe Glenbarrow race is available for purchase now.
Thanks to the IMRA volunteering night shift workers for that!
Lorraine FennellyMar 26 2019, 11:53amThank you
Peter O'FarrellApr 1 2019, 9:58amThe winter league has finished up with the Always astonishing Annagh Hill but fear not!
The season rolls on and the SEL steps into the breech with a tasty new route on Glenbarrow, Co. Laois to whet the appetite this coming Sunday. Your quads might even be recovered!
8.6km with tricky single track on the way up and out and and the fast fireroad on the way down and back.
See the famous waterfall, admire the communal festival field, eat very similar sambos to yesterdays at Annagh Hill.
And if you are from Laois, you have the incentive of winning the one off unofficial* Laois Hillrunning championships.

* 100% not a precedent I have been informed :)

If you are sadly injured or even more sadly dragged to the race but not running feel free to sign up as a helper - or let me know you can help out.
2 more willing bodies at the finish line would ease my deputy race director's worries - of the thinly and stretched type.
Niamh KellyApr 1 2019, 12:03pmHi Peter,

I can help out as a running volunteer if that is any use to you on the day. also, I have the race vouchers and a few other bits for you so I will be over early to hand that over and explain about the vouchers or send me an email so I can explain it all to you beforehand less stress on the morning.
Niamh
Peter O'FarrellApr 5 2019, 9:35pmWe now have enough volunteers for this race and thanks to all who are helping out.
I've sent an email to the volunteers but essentially if you could get to the festival field just before 11am we'll get going with registration at 11am.
Race registration is from 11am till 11:45am in the festival field outside Rosenallis. Google Map here https://goo.gl/maps/D5CNJBRZ1UT2
Signposted from the second left turn after Rosenallis heading towards Clonaslee.
Hopefully start the race bang on 12:00:00.
Hup!
Junior course approx 5km
Mikey FryApr 5 2019, 9:54pmGood luck peter with your race hopefully you’ll get a good bunch of hillers:))
Caroline ReidApr 7 2019, 7:44pmThanks to Peter, Orla, the whole McEvoy family and all the team who put on todays race. What a piece of magic! Loved the route and of course all the goodies afterwards meant we were really spoilt! South East team are raising the bar..well done!
Caroline ReidApr 7 2019, 7:44pmThanks to Peter, Orla, the whole McEvoy family and all the team who put on todays race. What a piece of magic! Loved the route and of course all the goodies afterwards meant we were really spoilt! South East team are raising the bar..well done!
Barry MinnockApr 7 2019, 10:43pmAbsolutely fantastic race, with super organisation from Peter & Orla. Nice scenic course. Pity more didn't join in the fun.
Unfortunately I know it was a busy weekend of races - most are these days ...
Derek CharlesApr 8 2019, 10:00amA very big thank you to Peter , Orla and their team. A great race, very enjoyable, excellent event and well run. Thank you again Peter.
Derek CharlesApr 8 2019, 10:01amA very big thank you to Peter , Orla and their team. A great race, very enjoyable, excellent event and well run. Thank you again Peter.
Derek CharlesApr 8 2019, 10:02amA very big thank you to Peter , Orla and their team. A great race, very enjoyable, excellent event and well run. Thank you again Peter.
Niamh BrowneApr 8 2019, 10:30amA very big thank you. It was a great race. Thank you very much to everyone for their organising and volunteering. Can I please mention that I am not on the results list. My number is 1203 and I finished the race with Caroline Reid if that is any help to check it out. Thank you again.
Brendan LawlorApr 8 2019, 10:48amWell done to Peter and volunteers.. a great addition/ readdition to the calendar. Sorry I missed it, next year maybe!

#RDDiscretionRocks
Peter O'FarrellApr 8 2019, 1:31pmThanks to all the runners who made the racing and all the helpers who made the race. And especially the many helpers from the McEvoy family - who don't even get a volunteer credit :)

We'll be sure to consult with the local clubs and avoid the clash we had this year.

@Niamh Browne - Conor O'Farrell has fixed that result now.
Thanks Conor. And thanks to Conor getting the results up on the same day as the race too.

@Derek Charles - as one of the original Dublin Sturmtroopers from 2012 it was great to see you back.