Irish Mountain
Running Association

GPS usage in IMRA races

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganMar 8 2019, 1:38pmFurther to AGM '18 discussions on GPS usage - All IMRA races have been categorised to be G (GPS allowed) or NG (GPS or other similar electronic device are not allowed).

In general any races that are traditionally held on marked route such as Leinster league, trail league, international selection races will be G classified.

All other race shall be designated non-GPS (NG) and the use of any electronic device to aid route finding will be prohibited.

In a NG classifies race, the use of a gps or similar electronic device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis.

No map display or route following type function may be used at any time.
No race routes or check point locations should be uploaded into such a GPS or similar electronic device.

If such a device is used for route finding in an emergency situation then that competitor should retire from the race and declare themselves non-competitive as should any others that have benefited from this GPS provided information.

NG designated races are as follows:
1. Wicklow Glacier Lakes - Solo & Relay.
2. Tonelagee and lap of the Lake.
3. Slieve Donard.
4. Carrauntoohil.
5. Gougane Barra.
6. Mt. Leinster.
7. Galty Crossing.
8. Mweelrea
9. Nephin.
10. Carrauntoohil Classic.
11. Ballyhoura (July 14th).
12. Log na Coille.
13. Galty 7-7's.
14. Circuit of Avonbeg.
15. Galty Mor
16. All Nav. Challenges.
17. Stone Cross to Lug - Solo & Relay.
18. Drumgoff.
19. Reeks Skyline.
20. Powerscourt Ridge.

Committee 2019.
Pól Ó MurchúMar 8 2019, 3:26pmGood to see this being implemented...just wondering is Powerscourt Ridge meant to be included in this list? While I note the event page says unmarked I always understood the route was to be followed as per map and as far as I recall some parts of the route have been marked or marshaled in the past. whereas the rest of the races listed are generally completely unmarked and can be completed free route once the relevant points are hit etc. it also doesn’t make up any league, Championship or nav event? Don’t really see what benefit following GPS would have here anyway but just thought it unusual.
Lillian DeeganMar 8 2019, 3:39pmEagle eye :) And yep, it is intentional as it stands from the Nov. 2018 review.
John MurrayMar 11 2019, 5:17pmWell done to the Committee on following through with this change! And a bigger list of races than I expected to see as a starting point.

No excuse but to get out into the hills more often now and start learning how to get around without any real aids. This can only be a positive thing in my books.

Interesting to see if it has any effect on results! :)
Brian FureyMar 25 2019, 12:27pmHi - does this mean we cannot wear GPS watch during the race? I like to wear them to record the route more for my own recording of the route ran than anything else.
Conor O'FarrellMar 25 2019, 12:42pmHi Brian

I'm pretty sure that it was agreed that you may record the route for post-race analysis, but you may not us it for any route mapping during a race. I'm open to correction on this, but that was more-or-less the essence of the rule.

Con
Gordon PlaceMar 25 2019, 12:42pmHi Brian,

I took from the following line above that you can wear a gps watch to record your race as long as you don't have either the race route or check points etc. saved in it. And if you have to use a function like that on the watch, or google maps/view ranger or the like on your phone to get home, you declare yourself a DNF.

'In a NG classifies race, the use of a gps or similar electronic device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis.'
Brian FureyMar 25 2019, 12:55pmok thanks guys- misread it.

In a NG classifies race, the use of a gps or similar electronic device to display compass, distance travelled, time, speed or altitude will be allowed, as will recording of actual route for post-race analysis.