Irish Mountain
Running Association

Winter League

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyMar 31 2019, 7:57pmAnnagh Hill today marked the end of the Winter League.
Congrats to Brian Flannelly, Aoife Coffey and category winners.

Superb results by Aoife to finish 4th overall and lead the ladies. As a junior that is fantastic. The future of hill running is bright.
Peter O'FarrellApr 3 2019, 10:56amProbably a chat to be had later but anyway...

The winter league used to to be your best 3 from 5 events and recently expanded into best 4 of 7.

I really preferred the 3 from 5 league. It's much more finishable and so you might find more people trying to finish it.
Maulin and Annagh Hill are very different beasts to a Trooperstown or a Hellfire and the different strengths of the runners make for great racing over the course of the league.

Within this year's league it's a pity the decision to shrink back to 3 from 5 wasn't taken last week as it would have set up some potential cracking battles at Annagh Hill with many more people on 2 races now in with a chance of finishing the league. (I appreciate these are not easy discussions/decisions to make)

anyway - 3 from 5 for next year please with a mix of trail and steep. I'll happily go League Director if one is needed. And Mick can restrain himself :)
Mick HanneyApr 3 2019, 1:19pmI agree with you Peter. I also think the league would benefit from being done in a defined, say 8 week, timeframe. Annagh was a great race and got a good turn-out but to be fully part of a league it should be nearer in date to its predecessor in the league. Preferably the Winter League would be done as a chunk before the Maurice Mullins, as otherwise you get an isolated race tagged on at the end almost as an after thought.
Andrew HanneyApr 3 2019, 2:24pmFive loops of Annagh in different directions, on the last loop you chose the direction. Each loop recorded as a single WSL race. That’ll sort them out! Actually, this should happen as an event one day :)
Mick HanneyApr 3 2019, 3:47pmStarting at midnight.
Gordon PlaceApr 3 2019, 4:44pmFirst week in January, with people tapped out on the tin whistle
Lillian DeeganApr 3 2019, 5:13pmAnd with Joe Lalor’s choice of books and vairied hidden location drop.
Alan AylingApr 3 2019, 5:25pmNames for the most notorious sections like Ratjaw. Maybe Dogs Bollix for the descent by the wall? And Ah Bollix for the climb back out?
Mikey FryApr 3 2019, 7:06pmR when Mick Hanney takes out his tray bakes from the oven...
Caitlin BentApr 4 2019, 7:47pmThere was a Dog actually on the mad decent by the wall when I was tripping down!! And I may have uttered the 'B' word:)