Irish Mountain
Running Association

New timing chips

AuthorDateMessage
Alan AylingApr 1 2019, 12:50amMorning All,

With the start of the Trail League less than 3 weeks away, we in the Technology Subcommittee are proud to announce details of a little project we've been working on in the background for some time. You're probably all aware that the timing chips system has been trialled and used on and off over the last couple of years. We are delighted with recent successes and now bring news of the next incarnation: runners will now wear not one, but TWO timing chips, one on each shoe. “WHAT?” and “WHY?” I hear you ask! Well, here's the really clever bit. These chips are not merely timing chips. They contain some clever microelectronics with additional functions, specifically they are GPS enabled and will be programmed to connect to high-definition GPS profiles of IMRA routes. So, as you approach a junction or turn on the course, the chips will warn you! If you are to turn right, the chip on your right foot will emit an audible signal and vibrate a bit like your mobile phone does. If you are to turn left, the chip on your left shoe will do the buzzing and beeping.

The new “AFD” chips (Alternate Feet Directional) will be colour coded – red for the left foot, green for the right, just like traditional port and starboard colours; so you can be completely confident you have the correct chip on each foot. There will even be a big L and R embossed on them so colourblind people don't get it wrong.

Each AFD chip contains the timing electronics, the GPS receiver, the vibrator, the beeper (they sound a bit like those annoying Garmin watch beeps that go off every km but we reckon folk'll soon tell the difference) and a gyroscopic charging device like what Seiko have been using in watches for years now – that charges an embedded little battery that runs the whole thing. Weighing in at a mere 8500 milligrams per foot you'll hardly know you're wearing them. And with one on each foot you'll be well balanced.

Will it work, you ask? Well, the system has been extensively validated over the winter at our top secret test facility up Tibradden and we're delighted to say it works flawlessly, even under tree cover where satellite coverage is traditionally a bit ropey. Running along, you are left in no doubt as to when you need to turn right or left, if there are no beeps or vibrations you just keep going straight. For “unmarked” or navigational races, the system stays in silent mode and just does the timing, in full compliance with the new “Mahon Rule”.

AFD chips will go live for the Trail League and Leinster League, but to allow a bedding in period we'll maintain the usual race markings and laptop timing for the rest of the year. If all goes well, by the 2020 race season we may be able to do away with race marking altogether. That'll mean significant cost savings on tape as well as reduced volunteer effort marking, marshalling and demarking courses. No more need for anyone to get uptight on Facebook about a bit of marking tape left out on a course by accident. No more uncertainty about junior routes. No more episodes like the Howth Horror, the Mullaghmeen Mayhem, the Forth Mountain F***up, the Tragedy on Threerock, or that infamous nadir of the 2017 season – the Crone Calamity.

We will even be able to program the AFD system to calculate and enforce the 160% rule for the early start.

And the absolute bestest bit of all? Unlike race vouchers, AFD chips are 100% machine washable!

AFD chips will be available on the Purchase IMRA Products page shortly. €5 each or €10 for a pair. We have plenty to go around, there will not be any waiting list ;-)
Alan AylingApr 1 2019, 12:51amPS – The committee are on the lookout for a van for transporting the new AFD timing mat. If anyone knows of a long wheelbase Transit, Sprinter etc. going at the right price, please get in touch. Email afd at imra dot ie or phone 0 eight seven 0104twentynineteen
Paul SmythApr 1 2019, 1:20amAlan, I think it would be better to have the chip deliver an electric shock to the appropriate foot instead. Also, will there be a confirmation shock, erm... sorry, buzz after you take the correct turn?
Gordon PlaceApr 1 2019, 7:16amSome of us don't want fancy chips with our desert. Is there any discount if you have two left feet?
Gordon PlaceApr 1 2019, 7:17amSome of us don't want fancy chips with our desert. Is there any discount if you have two left feet?
Gordon PlaceApr 1 2019, 7:17amSome of us don't want fancy chips with our desert. Is there any discount if you have two left feet?
John ShielsApr 1 2019, 7:22amOh Dear, I can see one major issue with this system....
If you have the chips on the wrong feet you will be directed in the opposite direction at each turn, or if someone tries to save time and puts both on one runner they will go in a circle. :)
Mick HanneyApr 1 2019, 7:28amThe problem yesterday Alan was you only wore one of those chips so it was bringing you off course! Same goes for many of the competitors.
Conor O'FarrellApr 1 2019, 7:29amChapeau!
Paul O'GradyApr 1 2019, 8:05amDoes anyone know if these chips are gluten free?
John DurradApr 1 2019, 9:45amPeople would still get lost. ;D
I want a bag of chips now @ 9:45am.
Andrew HanneyApr 1 2019, 10:17amPeter Bell is looking for a bulk order of these... :)
Stuart ScottApr 1 2019, 10:32amGreat work! What will happen if you leave these in your pocket by mistake?
Frank CotterApr 1 2019, 10:44amGluten free comment best I've seen on any forum!
Frank CotterApr 1 2019, 10:45amGluten free comment best I've seen on any forum!
Caitlin BentApr 1 2019, 10:53amAre you 'aving a laugh' Allan?:))
Mick HanneyApr 1 2019, 10:06pmWe can see from the photos on Annagh hill that some people were making use of the new timing sticks. A completely natural and low tech solution. Like divining rods, these sticks can be used to point the runner in the right direction. And 2 sticks are better than 1. Or, find the biggest stick you cam muster!
Alan AylingApr 2 2019, 12:22amMick, just to clarify, it turns out my left (red) AFD chip needed recalibrating at Annagh. This caused me to overshoot a turn and later to go backwards up a steep hill. A minor glitch with the pre-production model, I assure you.

Stuart, you can leave them in your pocket, as mentioned completely washable, but the mat won't read them properly in a pocket. (Or if worn on a shoulder for that matter). You would risk a DNF or worse still being "short-coursed".

Paul S - sorry but electric shock capability would have added to the weight and that might have upset people. It's bad enough getting folk to carry a jacket.

Paul O'G - gluten free option available, but sadly not vegan friendly - Barry would never let us away with that.