Irish Mountain
Running Association

Min Age For Main Races

AuthorDateMessage
Mark QuinnApr 14 2019, 10:30pmHi, can you tell me at what age can juniors take part in the main races? Is there any age restrictions? Thanks Mark
Peter O'FarrellApr 15 2019, 10:24amBasically over 16 I think.
The junior affairs officer (Jeff Fitzsimons) has the last word though.

At the constitution link ( https://www.imra.ie/constitution/ ) page there's a competition rules word document you can download with the various ages.
"A junior is a person aged 18 or 19 on 31st December of the competition calendar year. For example, a person who was born in 1995-1996 for the competition year 2014. A youth is a person aged 16 or 17 on 31st December of the competition year. A cadet is a person aged 15 or under on 31st December of the competition year."
"Athletes who are aged under 16 on 31st December of the competition year (Cadets) are not allowed to participate in a senior race (full distance)."
Pól Ó MurchúApr 15 2019, 2:26pmI think rule 10 would disagree with that Peter...Agreed it is a bit confusing having this rue spread over 2 even 3 rules and the fact that Rule 5 states...
“Athletes who are aged under 16 on 31st December of the competition year (Cadets) are not allowed to participate in a senior race (full distance).” mentions nothing about Juniors or Youths but then rule 10 states...

“Male Juniors and Youths (see Rule 4 for definition of a junior) are allowed to run the full distance in IMRA races under eight kilometres. In races over eight kilometres, male Juniors and Youths must run the short course. Female Juniors, female Youths and all Cadets are not allowed to run the full distance in IMRA races over five kilometres. The short race should not exceed 5 kilometres.

IMRA schools races should adhere to the length of schools and clubs cross-country races. International trials should generally not be longer than the under-age distances of the international race.

Under age runners are not allowed to compete in IMRA races where the course is not fully marked.”
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 15 2019, 10:56pmThis is an area that I have flagged to the committee in the recent weeks as requiring attention to aid clarity for runners and parents of runners alike. I will be bringing forward an updated set of competition rules for the consideration of the committee in the next few weeks. This will also align IMRA rules with World Mountain Running Association (WMRA) policy of junior males and females competing over the same distances.

In the absence of the updated policy I would work on the principle that youths and juniors can run the full course up to 8km.

There is always the possibility of race director discretion (rule 14) permitting for a youth to run a longer race or for a cadet to race up in distance. This discretion is on a case by case basis and the decision of the race director on the day is final.
Mark QuinnApr 16 2019, 11:33amThanks for the clarification. In this scenario its a 17yr old running with his parent just to take part and not to compete as such. Mark
Santina DohertyApr 17 2019, 12:23pmHi when registering a junior do they need to have their own unique email address? As a parent I don't seem to be able to use the same email address as the one associated with my own account?
Jeff FitzsimonsApr 19 2019, 8:02pmYes, you need a separate address for them. I think you can set up alias addresses on gmail, that might make life easier.