Irish Mountain
Running Association

Looking for footwear advice

AuthorDateMessage
Conor NolanMay 3 2019, 11:33pmI've run in the grand total of two events (Glen of the Downs and Downshill) and know I need appropriate footwear. My road shoes are great for forest track, but that's it. The descents last Wednesday were on a wing and a prayer - mostly wing.

Anyone I talk to says Inov-8s - but there's a huge range there. So which ones, and why? I've also looked at Salomon Speedcross and a couple of Columbia (Alpine/Rogue). Are the likes of the Columbia a bit 'tame' for Irish terrain? Are the very studded shoes uncomfortable on hard tracks? I do like a bit of cushioning in the sole.

Opinions please, thanks.
Ray LonerganMay 6 2019, 8:13pmHi Conor, I find the Inov8 roclite 305 a good all rounder. The sole offers good protection and feedback as well as pretty good grip on most conditions. I bought them a half size larger as I tend to use them in longer races where a roomier fit is sometimes better.
I have inov 8 mudclaws too and they offer super grip in wet muddy stuff but are uncomfortable on harder surfaces. Plus they may have given me too much confidence on steep descents resulting in me rolling my ankle in every race that I used them!
Inov 8 Xtalons are a popular shoe, I haven't worn them but I hear that they are offer very good grip and light in weight for faster shorter races.
Lastly when buying the shoes make sure that the 'drop' will suit you. Some of the lighter inov8 shoes have a minimal drop which might take time to adjust to.
Conor NolanMay 7 2019, 5:32pmThanks. Exactly what I wanted to know.