Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Round Attempt

AuthorDateMessage
Steve WathallMay 9 2019, 11:25amSteve Wathall of Black Combe Runners hopes to attempt the Wicklow Round starting at 3am on either Sat or Sun 11/12th May depending on best weather forecast and how he recovers from a successful Denis Rankin Round last Sunday. We were shocked and saddened to learn of the sudden death of Adrian Tucker who was a great help to Steve in 2017 when he finished the Wicklow Round in 24 hours 12 minutes largely on sight. We will be thinking about Adrian this weekend RIP
Peter O'FarrellMay 9 2019, 11:51amBest of luck Steve.

Hopefully another nice race report to join your recent Rankin Round report!

We possibly have a nice gate up at the start/finish for your photo :)

http://www.denisrankinround.com/steve-wathalls-round-report/
John MurrayMay 9 2019, 1:13pmBest of luck Steve...have fun!

Ps: If you can let us all know what day you start so we can perhaps head out and give you some roadside encouragement along the way! :)
Steve WathallMay 9 2019, 1:37pmWill do although internet access a bit flaky now we are in the hills. I will estimate a schedule too based on 2017 attempt when he added an extra top!! Saturday is preferred day weather permitting.
Steve WathallMay 9 2019, 4:27pmBased on 3am start estimated support points will be Ballinagee Bridge 7am, Drumgoff 11am, Wicklow Gap 3pm, Lough Tay Road 9pm. This is a bit of guesswork as Steve has an angry ankle having found a deep hole on Chimney Rock last week. I will confirm which day some time tomorrow. Thanks for the good wishes and if nothing else it will be a good run out.
Charmian
James TuckerMay 9 2019, 9:39pmBest of luck Steve. Great to hear you're back to tackle the Round again. Hope you find those 12 mins!
Pól Ó MurchúMay 9 2019, 9:54pmGood luck Steve. I recall the last attempt...heartbreaking stuff to come so close! Fair play for givin her another lash! And congrats on the Rankin! Do you have a link for the tracker?
Lillian DeeganMay 10 2019, 11:30amAll the very best Steve. I hope everything goes in your favour this weekend.
Graham K. BusheMay 10 2019, 11:44amBest of luck Steve, I hope all goes well, and the weather Gods do their bit too :)
Stephen BrennanMay 10 2019, 12:15pmAll the best Steve. Your experience last time will really stand to you.
Steve WathallMay 10 2019, 2:33pmGoing for it tomorrow. Thanks for all the good wishes. Charmian will try to update depending on signal.
John J BarryMay 10 2019, 3:10pmBest of luck Steve.. I'll be deeply interested ;-) in this attempt
Paddy O'LearyMay 10 2019, 5:54pmAll the best out there, Steve. Hope the weather stays behaved and you have a great lash at it.
Thomas RocheMay 10 2019, 7:30pmGood luck Steve
Shane LynchMay 10 2019, 9:03pmThe very best of luck with the attempt. Hopefully it goes smoothly for you.
Steve WathallMay 11 2019, 9:14amVisibility very bad for first leg meaning all map and compass but clear now so hope he can make up lost time. Steve left Ballinagee Bridge at 08.50
Siobhán HayesMay 11 2019, 2:27pmBest of luck
Steve WathallMay 11 2019, 3:43pmGame over. It was a brave attempt but always a long shot so soon after the DRR. Steve never recovered the time he lost in the clag this morning and when he was on Lug over two hours later than in 2017 he realised it wasn't going to happen. Thanks to the lassie for the shout out on Lug. He will go home to lick his wounds and we may be back. Perhaps third time lucky.
John MurrayMay 13 2019, 1:21pmUnlucky Steve! Hope to see you back in the future to put this one to bed once and for all.