Irish Mountain
Running Association

Call for EGM

AuthorDateMessage
Richard NunanJun 1 2019, 6:54pmThe LOC for the Masters would like to call an EGM to give the members a visibility of the Masters 2021 BID.

“The motion is for IMRA to approve the Budget, the proposed application and WMRA Masters contract and any other necessary documentation for the bid as well as finalise the IMRA's requirement in terms of Liability, financial contribution, assistance with insurance , assistance with the online registration and website for the event.”

An agenda will follow 7 days before the EGM. The EGM is scheduled to take place on the 16th of June at 6:00pm @ The Fir Grove Hotel, Mitchelstown
Robbie WilliamsJun 9 2019, 12:44pmAgenda for EGM..

1. Presentation of 2021 Bid.

2. Support required from IMRA for the bid.

3. Application & WMRA Contract review.
Jim FitzharrisJun 9 2019, 6:48pmI am very supportive of the motion at the forthcoming EGM. Would it be possible to get a ballpark figure for the financial contribution from IMRA.

Cheers,

Jim.
Brendan LawlorJun 9 2019, 7:29pmJim,

If memory serves me right this was discussed at the last AGM( in the context of a 2020 bid) and agreed/ suggested at a maximum of 5k. Richard or Tanya may want to correct that?

I would also be broadly supportive with the important proviso that IMRA’s financial exposure is strictly limited to some agreed maximum amount. I would assume that is what is being proposed.

Unfortunately I won’t make the meeting
Richard NunanJun 10 2019, 2:10pmHi Folks,

Item 2 is to Finalise the support required from IMRA and the Financial implications of the bid ahead of the Bid being signed and put forward,

Brendan is correct in what was mentioned as 5K at the AGM

The purpose of the EGM is to make the membership happy with all aspects of the proposed Bid. This is where we hope all other conversations can take place

Richard
Jim FitzharrisJun 10 2019, 2:23pmThanks very much Richard.

I am 100% behind this bid and have total confidence in the Committee and the LOC in presenting a good strong bid on behalf of IMRA.

The limit of €5k seems appropriate at present - I take this as a net figure because there will be money in and out.

Cheers,

Jim.
Brendan LawlorJun 10 2019, 2:53pmYes the Short Course is open to anyone, juniors, beginners, very slow runners or runners returning from injury. The Short course will set off 5 minutes after the main field

REMINDER : Online entries for Scarr will close tomorrow at 6pm

Can all volunteers please be at Registration by 6 if at all possible
John MurrayJun 10 2019, 3:56pm________________________________________________________

Just a suggestion but could the EGM not be located somewhere more centrally in the country to give a better possibility of members throughout the country attending?

Also, 6pm on a Sunday evening is not what you call a conducive time.

While I think the possibility of holding a Masters event here is absolutely fantastic and would be also supportive, it is a huge commitment and one that needs to be thought through with the head as opposed to just the heart!

Will a final decision be made at the EGM or will the presentation, findings, discussions be put to the larger membership not in attendance afterwards?

Can I also ask who is formally making the bid?
Jim FitzharrisJun 10 2019, 5:00pmHi John,

Those are good points.

However, I do not know if you were at the AGM last November, but the Munster Branch gave a comprehensive verbal presentation on the whole issue of mounting a bid for this event. It was also the subject of a formal motion and this was agreed in principle with a financial cap of €5k and agreement that further information would follow.

It was clear from the presentation that the Munster branch had done extensive research on this that covered many angles. IMHO, it had certainly been thought through with the head although many logistical details needed to be tied down.

Regarding the location of the EGM, there is a compelling logic to the meeting being held in Munster as they will have to do virtually all the work!

I cannot attend the EGM myself but happy to trust those attending and the Committee (of which I am NOT a member BTW!) to do the right thing.

It may well resurface at the AGM but I presume that they are operating to a deadline in terms of filing the bid.

It will also be the second time that the IMRA membership has been afforded the opportunity to consider the matter.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim FitzharrisJun 10 2019, 5:00pmHi John,

Those are good points.

However, I do not know if you were at the AGM last November, but the Munster Branch gave a comprehensive verbal presentation on the whole issue of mounting a bid for this event. It was also the subject of a formal motion and this was agreed in principle with a financial cap of €5k and agreement that further information would follow.

It was clear from the presentation that the Munster branch had done extensive research on this that covered many angles. IMHO, it had certainly been thought through with the head although many logistical details needed to be tied down.

Regarding the location of the EGM, there is a compelling logic to the meeting being held in Munster as they will have to do virtually all the work!

I cannot attend the EGM myself but happy to trust those attending and the Committee (of which I am NOT a member BTW!) to do the right thing.

It may well resurface at the AGM but I presume that they are operating to a deadline in terms of filing the bid.

It will also be the second time that the IMRA membership has been afforded the opportunity to consider the matter.

Cheers,

Jim.
Mícheál O'MullainJun 10 2019, 5:07pmGreat to see this bid being proposed and am fully supportive of it and the team involved in all the work putting it together.

On a lighter note....Mitchelstown is only 1 hour 25 from Dublin.....it is over 2 hours from Schull or Dingle so it is arguable that it is central enough in the circumstances!
Mick HanneyJun 10 2019, 5:28pmWell done to the organisers for taking this forward. For those you can't make it in person, could a solution be for a conference phone line to be opened so they could at least listen into proceedings?
John MurrayJun 11 2019, 12:22pmI think Mick's suggestion if possible would be a great solution?
Brendan LawlorJun 11 2019, 4:53pmI hate to be a pedantic Pat but the LOC of the Masters Bid cannot actually call an EGM

From the Constitution...

'An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be held on the request of the Executive Committee or by 20 members with voting rights (quorum)'

So either the Executive Committee calls this or you need twenty members to call it
Robbie WilliamsJun 11 2019, 4:57pmHi Brendan

There was over 20 that had called for it so that’s where it came out of.
Some of the 20 are on the LOC, maybe thats where confusion arose.

That was a number of weeks ago.

Robbie
Eoin KeithJun 11 2019, 5:19pmJust want to pipe in to congratulate the LOC on the progress they are making on this matter.

I can remember when this was first brought up by Tom at the AGM more than 2 years ago, where he was encouraged to prepare the groundwork, with the promise that the committee would assist where appropriate. Without knowing the details I've no doubt that a massive amount of work has been done to get the bid this far.

It's a rare thing for IMRA to get the volunteers to put in the massive amount of time and effort to contribute to the international mountain running community with an undertaking of this size. It's a big ask. In my view a one off project like this is super use of IMRA's resources, very much in the spirit of the organisation.

I won't be able to make the EGM, but would like to take this opportunity to express both my thanks and support to the LOC. Well done, and thank you!
Gordon PlaceJun 11 2019, 5:44pmHear Hear! No point in repeating all those sentiments except also adding further thanks and support.
Laura FlynnJun 12 2019, 8:56amSubject to sufficient interest to make it cost effective, the committee has decided to look into arranging a video or conference link from a Dublin venue to allow members access Sunday evening’s EGM.
Attendees will not be able to vote however and it is proposed that any questions which attendees wish to put or any issues they which to raise will be done via the committee member attending the remote venue.
Before booking a venue and in order to gauge interest, i would ask that all members interested in attending email me directly at laura.flynn@imra.ie BEFORE 6PM TODAY.
Brendan LawlorJun 12 2019, 12:39pmThanks Laura and committee. I'll be there

I'll put a shout out about this at the race tonight too
Laura FlynnJun 13 2019, 9:59pmThanks to those you made contact with me following my post yesterday morning. We have booked a room at the Red Cow Moran Hotel from 5,45pm on Sunday and will have a telephone link to the EGM.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Richard NunanJun 16 2019, 10:38pmThanks to everyone who traveled to make it to the EGM this evening. We had a full house for the EGM (IMRA committee, the LOC,a great number of MMRA runners and Vivian)

Thanks to Laura for coordinating the dial-in which was attended by another 3 IMRA members

Lastly thanks to Tom, Tricha and John for the presentation and the hard work that was put into the bid to date.

The Motion was passed unanimously by everyone present. Best of luck in winning the Bid for the World Masters in 2021. We look forward to supporting its success.
Patricia BlackburnJun 19 2019, 1:51pmThanks Richard and Brian for coordinating the meeting and Richard for facilitating proceeding.I would also like to thank Tricia Ryan (mmra secretary) who took the minutes.

On behalf of the LOC committee we would like to thank you all for the support and good wishes offered for this project,especially to those who came to the meeting on Sunday.It was great to get a unanimous vote to move forward and proceed with our bid for 2021.
We will keep you informed on how that goes.

We invite all members to get involved and if anyone feels that they might have something to offer in the way of sponsorship or other please email me.I guarantee that we will do all in our power to make it a successful event.
Thanks again,
Tricha