Irish Mountain
Running Association

visiting trail runner

AuthorDateMessage
Daniel RideoutJun 16 2019, 6:21pmI'm taking a vacation to Ireland for 2 weeks in June.
I would truly like to join IMRA for a run while there.
These locations are my best match for where my wife and I will be on our trip around the island.
Jun 23 Galty Crossing
Jun 26 12 O'clock Hills
Jun 29 Mweelrea

Which event would you all recommend for a visitor to join?

How can I get registered?

Can't wait to see what Mtn trail running is like in Ireland.
Mick HanneyJun 16 2019, 6:51pm@Daniel - you can register for a year for €10, simply create a myimra account and you should see annual registration in the 'shop' to purchase.

As your window for running is small you can choose to buy single events for €7 per race.

Re: your weeks in Ireland, it depends on where you are based. Wednesday races in Dublin are 'marked'. The Galty Crossing and Mweelrea races are not marked so you need to have some navigational know-how - map and compass required.

So to your question, it depends on your location and the experience you have.
Paul SmythJun 16 2019, 7:51pmHi Daniel,

Entries for the Galty Crossing have closed.

Be aware that you need to sort out membership and race entry (if not using a voucher - which would be uneconomical for you) before 18:00 the day before the race otherwise you won't be able to run on the day. Some races may need sign-up further in advance - check the details pages for the race and ask on the forum if in doubt.

Also, you must carry, or wear, a rain-jacket in every race regardless of the weather on the day otherwise you will be disqualified.

Don't know the 12 O'Clock hills race but in my view Mweelrea is excellent (except for the bit on the road at the start and end of the race). It's frequently covered with heavy cloud so you need to be capable of navigating on open mountain in poor conditions and you should also check out the gear requirements on the race details page.
Paul O BrienJun 16 2019, 8:02pmHi Daniel. If you are in Tipperary or Galtys area I will bring you trail running. Just let me know when and what distance suits and we can work something out.
Brian KitsonJun 16 2019, 10:37pm... And I'd be happy to show you some lovely trails in Wicklow/dublin area if your around here... Briankitson@yahoo.com
Rory LeadbetterJun 17 2019, 9:52amHi Daniel, in the interest of international relations, I’d also like to offer you a guided run around Either Brandon Hill in Kilkenny of Comshingaun loop in Waterford some evening, If you’re in the area let me know. rory.leadbetter@gmail.com
Daniel RideoutJun 18 2019, 3:59amWill be in...
Dublin 6/19
Kilkenny 6/20
Cork 6/21

FYI. 59 yrs run marathons annually, ran Boston 6 times. Love trail running.

So are these trails being offered up speed hikes? I’ve run/hiked Ben Nevis a while back. Similar approach?
Mark Foley2Jun 18 2019, 1:39pmHi Daniel
Check out Irish Mountain Cardio they have had a few guys from the states run with them. Just another choice for you.