Irish Mountain
Running Association

Running Shoe - Ballyhoura Mid Night Marathon

AuthorDateMessage
Shane MinehaneNov 11 2019, 2:23pmHi

I have entered the Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon and was looking for a recommendations on running shoe. I have done off road marathons before and used my standard running shoe - Asics GT2000. Is the course likely to be slippery/muddy and therefore require a trail shoe? Could you recommend a good mid range trail shoe as I understand a high proportion will be hard back gravel?

Thanks
John J BarryNov 11 2019, 2:40pm"how long is a pierce of string?"

I'll be wearing trail shoes with grip but not excessive grip like Mudclaws since there is a lot of good track and road. The shoes I have will not be good enough for the worst sections but an adequate comprise. If it's a wet night or ground muddy (probably), road shoes wouldn't be recommended..
Gordon PlaceNov 11 2019, 2:49pmWas fairly muddy last year on along the river, and I'd say would be very slippy with road runners through the grass as well.
Watch out for the slimey wooden stiles too if it's wet, I poleaxed myself trying to take one at speed last year. Think I actually gained on Mick Hanney mid flight but he was gone when I woke up
John ByrneNov 11 2019, 6:19pmSo John, you say you'll be wearing a shoe with grip but not too much grip???? So what Make and Model will that be?

Can anyone recommend a trail Model with foot pronation support?

My daily drivers are either Nike Structure or Asics Kianos.

Many thanks,

John
John J BarryNov 11 2019, 9:34pmJohn Boyle, I have shoe addiction where I must have a dozen pair of trail shoes of varying quality grip. I'll see on the night which pair I'll bring.

They will be something like Inov8 Trailroc (brilliant shoe for shorter distances) or Hoka Speedgoat (Great long distance trail shoe)

With sections of road and fireroad, a pair with a bit of custioning be recommended I suppose.
Ray LonerganNov 11 2019, 11:02pmHi Shane, I have worn inov8 roclite 305 shoes in previous Ballyhoura runs and found them to be good enough for the trails there. When buying them I get a half size larger than my usual fit as I tend to wear thicker socks for longer races
Paul SmythNov 12 2019, 9:12amBrooks Cascadia have pronation support.
Remi DelilleNov 12 2019, 10:10amLast year I used the La Sportiva Mutant (also used them for Wicklow Way Race and Maurice Mullins). IMHO, it's the best combination of cushioning, traction in mud and technical terrain, and the ability to run on hard-packed trails or tarmac. They certainly won't be as speedy as Inov-8 X-Talons but can't be beat for marathon and ultra distances.