Irish Mountain
Running Association

Best Volunteers in Ireland !!

AuthorDateMessage
Robbie WilliamsJul 20 2020, 10:04pmI want to give huge thanks to all volunteers who give their time to keep the IMRA show on the road. If you are new or not aware of how IMRA is able to offer great races its because the runners are the race organisers and helpers. This weekend in Munster I believe we once again had true mountain running spirit both in the races themselves and also in the organisation. The runners were so respectful of volunteers and the (bit of a pain) Covid regulations.

Huge thanks to these people:
Rob Mc Evoy who was there all day Saturday and Sunday overseeing all of the first aid and the safety marshals on both races.

Brian Buckley who came on Friday, helped me mark the start of the course in the evening and then was helping all day Saturday, drove to Cork early Sunday morning, collected his two kids, and drove straight back down with them to help on Sunday afternoon.

Julie & Brian Byrne arrived on Friday evening, and helped man the registration areas and finish lines all weekend and didnt leave until Sunday 6pm.

Ger & Jane Griffen drove from Waterville on Sunday morning , helped put together registration and did all day into the evening, then drove to Waterville, then drove back on Sunday morning early for the Classic and stayed until all was packed up.

Michael Kilkelly came from Courtmacsherry, marshalled on the summit of Carrauntohill all day Saturday, drove home, and came all the way back on Sunday morning and brought his daughter up with him and did summit marshal and first aid all day Sunday.

Up on the ridge on Saturday in not too nice conditions were Matthew Branch, Johnny O Flynn, Derek Walsh, Mark Pinfield (who was racing on Sunday). Thomas White and Stephan Erswell and Tom Mc Loughlan also helped out on the mountain, all giving up their entire day.

Martin Hennessy and Mairead Hennessy (1st Lady in Skyline) came back on Sunday and hiked up Carrauntohill to help on the Ladder top and summit.

Pat Rodgers spent all Saturday in the cloud on top of Beenkereagh making sure runners were safe and going in the right direction.

Jack Murphy swept the second half of the course, and Marco Petrassi manned the aid station in the valley at the top of the Hydro Road with Paddy O Shea.

Paddy and his wife Marie came back again on Sunday and did the IMRA Munster shop in the yard all day.

Joe O Leary marked the top of Caher onto Caher West to help keep runners on track and then ran over to the Beenkeragh ridge to take up a marshal station there...He also was racing on the Sunday !

Much Appreciated help from Richard Nunan and Alan Ayling who hung around most of Sunday and lended a hand with the Classic, both having raced on Saturday...

Colette O Donoghue marshalled the bottom of the zig zags driving from Cork to do so, and along with Robert Cunningham took away recycling and waste after the race..thank you.

Mark Hovarth who raced Saturday went back up the hill on Sunday also to get photos.

Micheal Mc Sweeney and Henry Browne came on Sunday and did their run first even though they were meant to do the race, and helped out as first aid and on the course.

This is a massive effort where volunteers are missing out on othet things so that others can run and get their mountain fix !

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL OF YE AND ALSO TO CRONINS YARD WHO COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE HELPFUL !!!

Please remember this when you have done a few races and you are available to lend a hand, it most certainly is appreciated.!!!

It is truly unreal how selfless all of you are !!!

Long live IMRA :)
Long live IMRA MUNSTER :)

So proud to be part of one of the most daycent organisations in the country !

Thanks Everybody, including all the runners.

Robbie
Christopher MurnaneJul 20 2020, 10:09pmThanks to everyone involved and Robbie too, great event and very well run. Hopefully we'll have a few more imra races over the next few weeks
Walsh RowanJul 20 2020, 11:40pmWow, that truly is above and beyond. Thank you all so much for making the amazing race weekend possible. The IMRA family truly is a great one.
John McCannJul 21 2020, 2:15amGreat post Robbie. Amazing commitment and dedication from everybody!
Anthony CornforthJul 21 2020, 8:50amNice one Robbie, a huge thanks to everyone, and not forgetting the monumental effort put in by yourself and your family, you are an inspiration to us all.
Thankyou
Jeff SwordsJul 21 2020, 10:15amIt really was a great weekend by all involved, thanks everyone.

I can't make out who it was from Robbie's post, but a thanks to the marshal who was at the base of Carrauntohill on Sunday who helped me out with some much needed first aid which allowed me continue upwards, and topped me up with a bit of water on the way down after using some of my own to clean out my injuries.

Between himself and a hiker, they both stocked me up with plasters which helped quite a bit.
Mícheál O'MullainJul 21 2020, 10:42amAbsolute legendary effort by all. Thanks lads
Peter BellJul 21 2020, 11:20amMassive thanks to Robbie and all his crew, what a weekend of running! Loved every minute of it. Appreciate everyone giving up your free time so we can race. Highly recommend Cronins yard for anyone thinking of staying in future races or a bit of hiking. Great people, very welcoming. Cheers guys! See u next year!
Robbie WilliamsJul 21 2020, 12:07pmThat was Martin Hennessy id say Jeff ...

Good stuff
Brian SmythJul 21 2020, 11:27pmHuge thanks to all the organizers and volunteers. Such a great event Saturday and very well organized. I’m sure Sunday was the same. The selflessness, and the time and effort given by all involved to ensure the race ran smoothly for those running was truly inspiring and shows what great spirit there is within IMRA.

Go raibh maith agaibh to all. See you all on the hills
Kevin O'RiordanJul 21 2020, 11:36pmThat's some amount of work put in by the volunteers. Fair play to everyone