Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ideas connemara runs

AuthorDateMessage
Emer O'ConnellMay 1 2021, 12:32pmHi, i am based in Oughterard, Co Galway and i have only run on trails (except the connemara intro race at killary). I have just purchased inov8 x-talon 260 ultra shoes and would like to try them out tomorrow. Any ideas please re a "do-able" hill/mountain run in connemara ideally near oughterard with sections of grass/other (off trail) which can be done without navigation skills? many thanks
Paul O BrienMay 1 2021, 3:35pmTry Galway trail runners on Facebook. I'm sure they know plenty of routes in the west.
Laura FlynnMay 1 2021, 4:21pmHi Emer, there was a forum post here with title “Connacht Region” back on 14th Nov 2020 stared by Francis Kelly which you might find helpful.
Diamond Hill is a well-marked and beautiful route that you could start with. There’s also a lovely trail run I did a few years ago as part of Gaelforce West along Killary Harbour into Leenane as far as I remember. You might find details of the route on their website.
Best of luck.
Laura FlynnMay 1 2021, 4:30pmJust reread your post Emer and see you’ve probably done that same one in Gaelforce.
If you make it to this side of the country when things open up a few of us can bring out on some trails here.
You can email me at laura.flynn@imra.ie
A few of us were just talking about getting more women into mountain running and we’d like to have done something as part of the women in sport 20:20 initiative but unfortunately we’re constrained by COVID.
Laura FlynnMay 1 2021, 4:52pmIf we can, we might try and organise something for women later in the year Emer so keep an eye on the website.
Emer O'ConnellMay 1 2021, 7:40pmThanks Laura- that would be great- I will keep an eye on website
Conor MurphyMay 4 2021, 2:33pmThe Cork and Kerry Trail Runners had an Intro to Trail Running event as part of Mountaineering Ireland's Women in Sport Initiative last year.

Here's a thread on the page about trail runs in Connacht...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328420757249671/permalink/3189689947789400
Emer O'ConnellMay 5 2021, 4:06pmThanks Connor- appreciated