Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Mountains Way

AuthorDateMessage
Mr. SmithJan 1 2012, 7:04pmI was just wondering has anyone run the full route of the dublin mountains way ? I know its not exactly a mountain running route but would be interested to get some feedback.
Robbie WilliamsJan 1 2012, 8:09pmNobody has run it yet or at least nobody has put up a time but it wud be great as it's on doorstep and very accessible from both ends. Think it wud be a case of let it know in advance on website and give a go- just like Wicklow way!! I am planning on running it in the spring- it won't be a speed record but it might get the ball rolling.

All the official waymarked trails should really have records set for them... It just makes sense!

Hope it becomes a trend
Adrian TuckerFeb 25 2012, 4:45pm
Ran the DMW route today. Took advantage of the new route as notified on EastWest Mapping : http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/dublin-mountains.
Ran it in the direction from Tallaght to Shankill.
Two major changes;
The first at St Anne’s burial ground (this adds 2Km road onto the route).
The second at Fairy Castle to Glencullen (this takes 2Km road off the route).
The first change is fully operational and marked along the route, the second has not physically be changed so the markers still show for the old route but it’s pretty easy to navigate the new section, and much nicer to run.
Clocked a distance of 41.06Km in a time of 3.40:18.
Elevation Gain/Loss 927M, –992M
The potential is there to run it much quicker. I carried a backpack with water and food etc for a possible 5hr jog. Found two water taps on route so there’s no need to actually carry water; one tap was at 7mile (at the side of the road above the water works a bit past St Anne’s) and another at 18mile (just along the road from Johnnie Fox’s).
Apart from one or two markers missing, the route is well signposted and easy to navigate. No need for too many recce’s if you’re familiar with the Dublin Mountains.