Irish Mountain
Running Association

Winter "hill" training sessions

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgJan 2 2012, 12:26pmhi all,

Training relevant for hill runners will resume every Saturday in January with the following programme:

DUNE RUNNING SESSIONS(10:45 start at Northern car park)

Saturday 7th
Saturday 14th
Saturday 28th

Based on the training session of late Australian coach Percy Cerutty

HILL TRAINING(uphill/downhill) in Ballyhouras

Saturday 21st (this event is organised by Tom Blackburn, more information to follow in separate thread).

FARTLEKS at UCD (meet 18:20 for 18:30 start at Clonskeagh car park).

Wednesday 4th
Wednesday 11th
Wednesday 18th
Wednesday 25th

Will feature a variety of paces, drills, speed-games and other mixed pace work.

LONG HILL RUNS from Glendalough (10am start from Visitor Centre car park)

Sunday 8th
Sunday 15th
Sunday 29th

Routes to be confirmed closer to the day. Runs will be 2-3 hours and generally over 20km with a wide mixture of terrains.
Paul DohertyJan 2 2012, 2:30pmThanks Rene.
Hope to make it to some of these.
Where are the Dune running sessions? You just mention Northern car park in your post.
Paul
Rene BorgJan 2 2012, 4:50pmhi Paul

The Dune sessions will be at Britta's Bay beach just south of Wicklow Town. I'll post directions from Dublin later this week. There are two car parks (sign-posted) and the most handy is the north one.

You will need to park outside the gates as the car park is closed in winter. It is the only place around here I have managed to find sand dunes of the right size. Still not as a large as Percy Cerutty's at Portsea but since few of us are Herb Elliott that may all be for the best!
Rene BorgJan 4 2012, 12:46pmHi all,

For my planning purposes if anyone planning to attend wouldn't mind just sending me a text at zero85one214541 or email me at rene at championseverywhere dot com . Thanks again! (those who have already done so or signed up on the Facebook events, no need to send me another).

-Rene
Rene BorgJan 6 2012, 5:15pmFor those attending tomorrow's dune running, don't forget to bring a towel if you plan on sticking the legs in the cold water for recovery!
Rene BorgJan 6 2012, 5:28pmSmall time change for tomorrow: start will be 10:30 instead of 10:45 (have posted the event on Facebook and it does not allow quarter hours, so will settle for 10:30 tomorrow for consistency).

Feedback welcome for next week in case 11:00 would have been the better choice for those travelling.
Rene BorgJan 7 2012, 8:53amDetails of tomorrow's Sunday run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/135181679

We will be doing essentially a long loop of Trooperstown from Glendalough visitor's car park with a return journey over the shoulders of Paddock Hill and Brockagh following the Wicklow Way Leg 4 piece back to the start.

Run will take anything from 2:05-2:35 depending on the group and the day.
Rene BorgJan 11 2012, 2:07pmFartlek on this evening as planned at UCD, starting at 18:30. Looks like we'll have much improved weather conditions.

On the menu will be "sausage sessions" (pun intended, but no sausages will be served) a form of structured fartlek covered in Healthy Intelligent Training, the official training manual of the Lydiard Foundation.
Rene BorgJan 12 2012, 11:32amGreat to see such large attendance yesterday even in the face of the "fair weather runners jibes".

Route for Sunday's long run will be "Six Summits and a Spink": http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36828792

This run will be longer but feature more variety of terrain than last Sunday's. The Mullacor ridge is expected to be fairly wet so bring the right foot-wear. The descent from the Spink into the Miner's Village is great fun but quite rocky.

There are several opportunities to "bail out" for a shorter course:

- Go straight from Derrybawn to the Mullacor ridge without the Cullentragh detour (19.5km)
- After descending Mullacor follow the Wicklow Way back down (19km)
- Do not do the out and back to Lugduff (21.5km)
- Remove all "extras" (about 15km)

There are also a few options to extend for those looking for a 23-25km run. I can cover that on the day. 10am start, meet at the Visitor's Centre.

Rene BorgJan 13 2012, 4:15pmThe second of our three Sand Dune running sessions will be on tomorrow. Once again at Brittas Bay starting at 10:30. We will meet at the Northern car park.

Afterwards, feel free to join us for the gorgeous lunch in the Romani Steps next to "The Tap" pub on the N11.
Rene BorgJan 16 2012, 8:34pmJason put together a pretty savage video from yesterday's run, go straight to 2:08 if you're only interested in seeing the lads tearing down the zig-zags to the Miner's village, who'd have known hill-running and techno are a natural fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzTQaIWmZM&context=C36563dfADOEgsToPDskKRudUBQhSZXbO28nwcwV9S
Rene BorgJan 18 2012, 2:33pmFartlek on as usual this evening. Beginning at 18:30 at UCD.
Rene BorgJan 24 2012, 9:10amLast week of the January schedule will be a busy one:

- Fartleks: continue at UCD tomorrow, start at 6:30
- Dune running: Last of three sessions at Brittas Bay this Saturday, start at 10:30 at North Car Park.
- Long "Glendalough" hill run: St. Kevin's Way run from Hollywood to Glendalough. Option to start further up route for those wanting shorter than the 33km

Emails to rene at championseverywhere dot com for questions.
Rene BorgFeb 15 2012, 3:41pmJust to confirm: fartlek sessions are continuing at UCD (Clonskeagh entrance car park meeting point) every Wednesday starting at 6:30pm.

Mail me at rene at championseverywhere dot com or text zero85one21454one if you have questions.
Rene BorgFeb 25 2012, 10:31amhi all,

Wednesday's fartlek session will be cancelled as I am attending the Rathdrum 3 mile. If the usual suspects want to set up the session, give me a shout and we can organise that and I can write out the session for the day.
Jeff FitzsimonsFeb 29 2012, 8:58pmI probably should have checked in here before turning up at Belfield today!

Didn't have the motivation to do anything other than run home. Running around in circles on your tod just feels odd.
Rene BorgFeb 29 2012, 9:26pmHI Jeff, sorry about that I should have mailed the regulars!
Rene BorgMar 6 2012, 10:28pmFartlek will be back tomorrow in the usual time and spot (UCD Clonskeagh gate carpark at 18:30). As a good few regular did Ballycotton this Sunday we'll keep to a short and snappy session, focusing on getting the legs loosened back out.

See you there.
Jeff FitzsimonsMar 7 2012, 9:23amCan't make this evening Rene, but should see you next week. Well done to all the Ballycotton 10ers!
Rene BorgMar 20 2012, 12:45pmTomorrow's fartlek will be on as usual 18;30 at UCD. This session will be the shortest yet in anticipation of Saturday's race, just a quick primer for the engine before the reasonably restorative Thu and Fri I am sure most have planned in.

See you there, text me at zero85one21four4541 for questions. Lydiard Hill Circuits will commence shortly, so keep an eye out for updates of time and place for this session.
colin DoyleMar 20 2012, 1:32pmHi rene
Just wondering can anyone turn up for this session? or is it reserved for a club?
Rene BorgMar 20 2012, 2:18pmHi Colin,

The sessions are for anyone, the more the merrier.

My "sponsors" are Crusaders AC, as in they funded my coaching education, so I like to give them a mention but there's no pressure or requirement to join.

We've got a good mix of Crusaders and "random hill runners" :)
Rene BorgMar 25 2012, 7:13pmAs the clocks move forward, I now close this thread. New "Spring training" to follow shortly. Please post questions and look for updates there instead.
Rene BorgJan 4 2017, 6:41pmIn a bout of nostalgia, I'm organising a once-off re-run of the 'dune training' session done 5 years ago at Brittas. this Saturday at 10 am:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1764999597156258/