Irish Mountain
Running Association

Suggestions for a Novice?

AuthorDateMessage
Elise FaloneMar 11 2012, 7:13amHello all,

I'm new to the mountain running scene, and I was wondering if you could offer a few suggestions about how to get into it. I'm more interested in running for pleasure than racing, and I'd like to build stamina/strength before pushing myself too hard. I've done "regular" running for years, but I'm really drawn to the idea of something a bit more rugged.

I'd really appreciate trail suggestions etc!

Thanks.
David KellyMar 12 2012, 12:54pmHi Elise,

As someone who has just started with IMRA this year, the best advice I can give you is to just turn up and give it a go. The Spring League is a good starting point as the races are graded a bit easier. Probably better to avoid the rougher terrain without fell running shoes but ordinary runners and a little common sense should be sufficient for easier terrain.

Definitely use the car pool - it's a good way to get to know others.

Dave
Declan O'DwyerMar 13 2012, 5:20pmElise

After the Spring League, the Leinster League kicks from 25th April. These Wednesday evening runs often draw 200 runners from juniors to over 70's and all abilities are catered for. You can just turn up and register on the night. Enjoy.
Alan AylingMar 15 2012, 9:00pmHey Elise,

Trail suggestions: depends how familiar you are with the hills and how happy you are to be out training/running on your own. If there are 2 or 3 of you together it's safer than being out alone.

The Ticknock/3Rock area is pretty good for a bit of running - accessible, miles of trails from tarmac to fire road to open mountain paths and everything between, plus you're never all that far from where you started if you decide to cut things short.

Try looking up some of the maps for the Leinster League races - a lot of these make good training runs, in whole or in part.

Hope this helps!
Elise FaloneMar 18 2012, 2:38amThanks all! This is really helpful!!