Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow way Vs Stone Cross to lug

AuthorDateMessage
Rachel CinnsealachJul 16 2012, 11:06pmWhy is the Wicklow way relay so popular, and yet the stone cross to lug is not so?

I did this race last year and really, it was one of the high lights of my IMRA year. It was a great day out and the route was so much more exciting that the Wicklow way.

I am putting in a team anyhow. If people feel they may be a little slow, they can always start their legs early and all times can be totalled at the end.

I also think it would be a great idea to have a BBQ after the event. What would the committee say to me buying a few disposable BBQ’s and some sausages and burgers!!!! Sometimes the smaller events are better and I think a mini BBQ after this event would be great. I am also thinking of trying to contact someone down there, to see if we can get a field to camp in, and so people could have a few drinks after the race and camp over.

If there is anyone out there looking for a team just email me, and I’ll do my best to find one for you.
How about Niamh O Ceallaigh, Cormac and Diarmuid putting in a team? And how about another team from Mountain Rescue?
Diarmuid O'ColmainJul 17 2012, 12:30pmWell Rachel, good for you! Positive as always!

But I think you know why more people don't do the Lug Relay - it's hard! Not just physically but also navigationally if conditions are tough (as they were last year).

But I agree these reasons should not deter people from participating. You could for instance have a sub-team running/walking each of the legs; e.g. 3 people of whom one is a navigator - so you'd have 9 people per team with subteams of 3 taking on each of the 3 legs. What better way to get experience of this part of the Wicklow hills? And sure a few weekends of long distance walk/running (on a normal fitness base) and you'd be grand!

Oops! I see now the relay is in 11 days or so but still time for a couple of recces of the route.

niamh o ceallaighJul 17 2012, 3:20pmyou are dead right Rachel! Cormac, Dad, are ye on? And bbq is a great idea.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 17 2012, 5:08pmGood one Niamh :)

Now Brendan Lawlor and Declan Cunningham where are ye?

And where are all the other hardy people who do all the LC and IC races ;)

I've heard a rummour, that IMRA will fund a BBQ

Also does anyone have any contacts down around Fentons, so I can contact them and ask if we can camp over in their Field? BTW is this pub still even called Fentons?
Stuart ScottJul 17 2012, 5:15pmGreat points Rachel and Diarmuid.

Something worth highlighting is that people can run in pairs (or more) if they feel their nav is an issue.

It's a tough route (physically and directionally) but anyone who completed one of the infamous Nav Challenges over the years would be well able for it. The first NC last year had 40 competitors, there's 13 teams and one solo runner there!

And with tasty pints and burgers at the finish, what more incentive do you need!
Fergus ByrneJul 17 2012, 5:37pmHey Rach,

As it happens I'm in the Glen this week and can ask about a camping spot. I'll mail you direct
Rachel CinnsealachJul 17 2012, 5:38pmAhh, brilliant Fergal, thanks for that.
Rachel CinnsealachJul 17 2012, 5:46pmDoh, Sorry Fergus.

Pól Ó MurchúJul 17 2012, 8:07pmDeffo a great race. Have done all legs at some stage or other and really not that bad if as diarmuid says conditions are ok. Last year I think was particularly bad but it was also a lot later in the year. Although given the weather recently that's not saying a lot. I'm deffo on for it anyway. Will try and make it further than lough firrib this year. ;-)
Diarmuid O'ColmainJul 18 2012, 12:32pmNiamh, I'll be in the wilds of Kerry that weekend unfortunately. You better train up Ciara quickly. Not sure she can manage the compass but she can show some people what barefoot running is!