Irish Mountain
Running Association

Grand Raid Pyrenees 80k

AuthorDateMessage
Dylan WaldronSep 17 2012, 3:40pmHi All, On the back of the amazing performances by some IMRA runners in the UTMB 2 weeks ago i thought i'd mention another Ultra which might be of interest to some less elite but determined IMRA runners looking to move into a longer distance race. On August 25th this year myself and 2 other IMRA runners (Mark Sheridan, Donogh Reynolds) travelled to the Pyrenees to take part in the GRP - an 80km, +5,000m Alt, mountain trail race with a 24hour cut-off and a high point of 2,875m. It was a phenomenal race with a really technical course which i believe suits IMRA runners experience, the organisation was first rate in every area. It is worth 3 UTMB Qualification points and i reckoned would be a great first step to anyone wishing to take on the more advanced UTMB at some stage. This years race was won for the 2nd yr in a row by the legendary Dawa Sherpa (former UTMB winner). There is a 160km race option as well which i would imagine is only for complete nutters.